• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Fault code with N light flashing

I've had this happen 3 times now. The engine warning light comes on, the N light (neutral) is flashing and it wouldn't let me change gears for a short time. After that, the gear changes went back to normal and the car drove as it should, with the exception of not having cruise control. The N light is still flashing and the engine light is still on. Last time it happened I was out near Birdsville so not a great place for a fault to appear. It cleared itself after while but today I've done 260k on dirt and it's still there. I have Torque so I could try and clear it, although I'm not sure how to do that and I'm concerned that it might cause more problems.

The first time it happened I was in A major town so the local MM dealer cleared it and said he'd never seen that before.

Any tips or clues ?
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

What is the fault code shown by Torque Pro? Identifying the code should be the first step taken. My first guess is that it will be a communication error related to your dongle or torque pro,

Do you have the communications protocol in Torque pro set to ISO15765-4CAN11/500 in the vehicle profile settings on the Torque App?
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
      I've had this happen 3 times now. The engine warning light comes on, the N light (neutral) is flashing and it wouldn't let me change gears for a short time. After that, the gear changes went back to normal and the car drove as it should, with the exception of not having cruise control. The N light is still flashing and the engine light is still on. Last time it happened I was out near Birdsville so not a great place for a fault to appear. It cleared itself after while but today I've done 260k on dirt and it's still there. I have Torque so I could try and clear it, although I'm not sure how to do that and I'm concerned that it might cause more problems.

The first time it happened I was in A major town so the local MM dealer cleared it and said he'd never seen that before.

Any tips or clues ?

You won't cause more problems by clearing it but, there are some codes deep in the ECU that Torque can't remove.

When the check engine light is on you lose cruise control.

To read and remove the code go to Torque home screen and tap Fault Codes. That takes you to another screen that says "Tap here for faults or press for more options." Tap it. It takes around a minute to scan. After it scans it will take you to another screen with the fault codes. Write them down. Then touch top right corner, it should be three short horizontal lines. A drop down box will ask a few questions, one being "clear the codes" or something similar. Touch that. Another screen will come up asking if you want to with other stiff written there. Touch yes. Torque will then clear the code.

Another tip, if you have ticked "fast communication" in the Torque menu untick it as the Pajero will through a wobbly. As Steve has said Protocol must be ISO15765-4CAN11/500.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

My guess is fault code P1901.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

More likely U1100/U1101, OJ.

I get almost the same symptoms, but including needles dancing across the gauges (looks like a Subaru ) when the car is left in the sun and the Scangauge, which sits up on the top of the dash, gets hot. Figure the heat prompts an electrical fault which then causes the fault code.

I just clear them then restart and all good.
          Chris

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Thanks guys, that all makes sense and is in line with the guy at the MM dealership who cleared it the first time, he said he thought it was an error in the start up sequence reading the engine data. I didn't tell him I had Torque running but from the input above, I'd say that's where the fault comes from.

Now this is a dumb question but does the engine need to be running before clearing the codes?
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

[QUOTE=Ian H;551033]Thanks guys, that all makes sense and is in line with the guy at the MM dealership who cleared it the first time, he said he thought it was an error in the start up sequence reading the engine data. I didn't tell him I had Torque running but from the input above, I'd say that's where the fault comes from.

Now this is a dumb question but does the engine need to be running before clearing the codes?[/QUOTE

No it doesn't but the ignition must be on.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                Thanks guys, that all makes sense and is in line with the guy at the MM dealership who cleared it the first time, he said he thought it was an error in the start up sequence reading the engine data. I didn't tell him I had Torque running but from the input above, I'd say that's where the fault comes from.

Now this is a dumb question but does the engine need to be running before clearing the codes?
                No it doesn't but the ignition must be on.
                Thanks.

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Just an update. As before, Engine light and flashing N had gone this morning when I started up so it's all fine again. I've changed Torque to the settings you guys suggested but will leave it off until I get closer to home. Don't want to play around with it while I'm still in nth Qld. Thanks again for the help.....love this forum.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X