• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csimic
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Maitland

Ultraguage or Scanguage 11

My son Ben also has an NT Pajero DiD VRX auto wagon I was thinking about buying him an Ultraguage or Scanguage 11 for his birthday. Are they really useful or just another thing to hang on the dashboard.

He has not issues when towing and gets good Litres per 100km 10.5 on average. He basically never turns the air conditioner on has his work truck does not have air conditioning that works anyway and Ben says that saves him about 3 litres per 100km.

I don't want to spend money for nothing. What do you think a valuable item or not? Ultraguage or Scanguage 2 and where is the best to purchase from? Many thanks Janelle (The Haller Family)

P.S. My husband says they are Common Rail Diesels but they really are Direct Injection Diesels hence DiD. Is that right?
    2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads
  • JoshF
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Brisbane

bluetooth ODB11 dongle and Torque pro for Android would be my choice about $50 all up assuming your already have the tablet/phone
    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

They can certainly be useful, if you want to monitor something that isn't in the standard gauge set. I have a TurboGauge (same as ScanGauge II) and it is useful, also to check and clear codes when they happen.

The bluetooth ones are cheaper but won't necessarily clear codes. Some do have a greater range of inputs that they can read, although the ScanGauge is programmable to read other inputs and has some extra functionality as a trip computer, fuel manager and performance monitor. The Ultra Gauge probably looks a little better but the blue output doesn't match the orange of the Paj very well.

All I can say is that he must have one hell of an air conditioner if not running it saves him 3l/100km.

You are both right. All diesels are direct injection but the more modern ones, like the Pajero, are common rail.
      Chris

Comment

• Paj People 2009
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Janelle,

Both are great.

We prefer the Ultragauge, as it has a nicer, easier to read face IMO.

We only use the engine temp, speed and RPM really anyway, but you can do pages of gauges.

Cheers,
        Sally
        SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• csimic
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Maitland

[QUOTE=NFT5;364687]They can certainly be useful, if you want to monitor something that isn't in the standard gauge set. I have a TurboGauge (same as ScanGauge II) and it is useful, also to check and clear codes when they happen.

The bluetooth ones are cheaper but won't necessarily clear codes. Some do have a greater range of inputs that they can read, although the ScanGauge is programmable to read other inputs and has some extra functionality as a trip computer, fuel manager and performance monitor. The Ultra Gauge probably looks a little better but the blue output doesn't match the orange of the Paj very well.

All I can say is that he must have one hell of an air conditioner if not running it saves him 3l/100km.

You are both right. All diesels are direct injection but the more modern ones, like the Pajero, are common rail.

Ben is right about the fuel saving he has the VRX with the on-board computer and you can see it. He has dual air conditioning and when it is not on it drops 3 litres per 100km. Not 31 did I make a mistake? Janelle
          2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2013
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by csimic View Post
            Ben is right about the fuel saving he has the VRX with the on-board computer and you can see it. He has dual air conditioning and when it is not on it drops 3 litres per 100km. Not 31 did I make a mistake? Janelle
            Dont put too much faith in the onboard readings, they arent that accurate, the only way you'll know the proper average is by working it out when refuelling...
            | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
            | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
            | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
            | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• JoshF
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post

Never had an issue reading or clearing codes with Torque Pro and bluetooth dongle on my NS.

In fact the 1.5 hours of drive recording on Torque enabled Mitsubishi to finally identify the actual issue on my Paj leading to the replacement of the turbo. As they said they have never seen so much data as I captured every item visible from the ECU ignoring anything related to fuel economy
              NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
              Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by csimic View Post
                P.S. My husband says they are Common Rail Diesels but they really are Direct Injection Diesels hence DiD. Is that right?
                Yes - they are both.

Common Rail is how the injection system works (a common high-pressure rail instead of a rotary injection pump), Direct Injection is where the fuel is injected inside the engine (directly into the combustion chamber, instead of indirectly into a pre-combustion chamber).
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Radios
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Qld

I use the Scan GaugeII mainly to read the auto transmission temperature while towing our van which is around 2.8 tonne. I always tow in 4th gear. The temperature varies between 83 and 95 while towing through undulating country. On average hills it gets to 105 and cools down quickly. Recently we stopped for morning tea and after a while I noticed the auto temperature was going up to 118 while going up a small hill and taking quite a while to cool down. It didn't take long to realise that I had left the transmission in auto. All was good again after I went to the manual mode. In my opinion the Scan Gauge is not an ornament on the dash and is worth its weight in gold for its usefulness.http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ap2%5B1%5D.gif
                  2014 MY15 Warm White NX Exceed 3.2 DID Auto, Genuine Towbar, CB

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Comment

• Scouter1
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • Sydney NSW

+1 for Scangauge - the A/T temp reading is so useful, like Radios I keep a close eye on the temp when towing or fully loaded in hilly terrain. Shifting manually can really make a difference to temperature.
                    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Tom52
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
                      +1 for Scangauge - the A/T temp reading is so useful, like Radios I keep a close eye on the temp when towing or fully loaded in hilly terrain. Shifting manually can really make a difference to temperature.
                      +2
                      Tom
                      Sold - 2010 NT DID Activ, Ironbark, ARB Deluxe bullbar, OME lift, Cooper AT3s, Bushskinz bash plates, Dual batteries, Towpack, Prodigy P3, Scangauge II, MiVue 358 Dashcam, towing a 2015 Jayco Journey Outback

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Guys,

Yes the transmission temp is useful, if you can read it! I don't like ornaments on the dash either, that's why we went for the Ultraguage. Anyway, much like Holden vs Ford!

Although, it mimics the engine temp exactly....Just another thing to worry about on your trip, I suppose!

Has anyone ever stopped because the trans temp is too high? Or engine temp for that matter?

We spent 2 hours crawling in traffic with the van last Sunday near the hilly part of the back of Byron. The engine never went above 99 degrees and quickly came back to 89 degrees.

I might buy a cheap 7 inch tablet and connect up the Torque app. Easy to read then and does it all. Will just keep it on a ram mount on the windshield.

Would be good to have both - do they make a double connection to the OBD port?

Cheers,
                        Sally
                        SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X