• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pusspuss
    • Jun 2010
    • ballarat

upgrading towing capacity

We have a 2010 Challenger with the 2500kg towing capacity and HReece tow bar.
    We are looking at geting a bigger caravan with an Ensuite. The van will come in at 2700KG.
    Does anybody know what would be required to upgrade the towing capacity to the new Challengers 3000kg capacity.
    2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come
  • aaron.miller
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Epping, NSW

I'm pretty sure you can call haymen reese and they will send you a new compliance plate, but no idea on uprating the challenger itself. I would call an engineer and discuss.

Aaron
    2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• cry_babys
      • Dec 2010
      • nsw

i rang mm about a 1year ago to check the same thing they told me to buy a new car

Comment

• G Potter
        • Apr 2012
        • Colac

I would agree that you will need to upgrade the vehicle i had a triton dual cab auto that could not tow my 2000 kg van on summer days. The paj does it no worries
        Cheers
        Greg

Comment

• 02-SR5
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2010
          • Toowoomba

Even if the Challenger can tow 3000kg, I still wouldnt do it.

I am a firm beleiver, if you are going to tow, keep it under half the weight of the towing car.

If my car weighed 3 tonne, I would keep the towing limit to under 1.5 tonne.

Rob
          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• BigBloke65
            • Aug 2010
            • SA

I'd never tow near the limit. Maybe look at the new Mazda ute. That has a tow capacity of 3500kg I heard.
            PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• greig
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • kanwal

I would agree ......towing near or at the limit for any car is not ideal........

You say the new van is 2700 kg........if that is dry weight, it will go over 3000 kg when loaded, so now you get into the bigger ( and more expensive ) 4wd catergory......

Just because a manufacturer says its towing limit is say 3500 kg.....( say a Ranger ute ) it doesn't mean it will do it any easier than say a Challenger at 3000 kg.........have a look at the brakes and the vehicle weights.??.......

Comment

• pusspuss
                • Jun 2010
                • ballarat

I have been towing Caravans and trailers (including a camper trailer across the simpson desert) for over 30 years and agree that the tow vehicle should not be overloaded. the new caravan we are purchasing has a tare (unloaded weight) of 2350kg and a GTM (fully loaded) of 2700kg which i think should be within the Challengers capacity of 3000kg. Our current caravan has a GTM of 2100kg and the Challenger tows it very comfortably.
                On the last trip, we had a blow out on the van at 100km per hour and passed by road trains doing 120+ and never felt anything but stable.
                We are allways mindfull of what goes in the van and how it is loaded e.g. no bikes or generators hanging off the back.
                I was just asking if there is a simple way of upgrading the towing capacity without changing tow vehicles as the challenger is only 2 years old and is now set up for outback touring. Also i dont have one of those trees in the backyard (money)

Comment

• wasarangie
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • Ocean Grove

If the HR bar was an early 2500 kg then HR will not issue a new compliance plate. They are more than happy to sell you a new bar that is rated at 3000 kg.

I went through this some time ago. Even sent in the paper work. The reception people can be rather rude when you call and are only interested in new sales, in my opinion of course. I talked to a rep at a caravan show who contacted the engineers, the only way to get a 3000 kg rating is with a new bar.
                  SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• pusspuss
                    • Jun 2010
                    • ballarat

Thanks Wasarangie. A new tow bar is certainly alot cheaper than a new car.

Comment

• norto
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Batemans Bay

I am in the process of upgrading our caravan.
                      i contacted the RTA who gave me a list of mechanical engineers that can
                      upgrade your car and towbar towing capacity for less than $1000
                      Pete

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi fellas,

If the car's handbook states 2500kg towing capacity, putting a 3 tonne towbar does not increase it's capabilites.

You mustn't go over the stated tow rating for the actual car, not the towbar.

EG Our Pajero can tow 3 tonnes. But if I put on a HR 3.5 tonne rated towbar, it still can only tow 3 tonne.

Our van weighs just under 2500kg and it feels comfortable. But we wouldn't like to tow anything heavier - good to have some margin for safety there. Our ALKO hitch is rated at 3.5 tonne, but you can't tow anywhere near that. Case in point again.

If there is a legal way to upgrade the car's GVM, via an engineer, then go for it. I think the LC can upgrade their GVM, not sure about MM's.

Cheers,
                        Sally
                        SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• wasarangie
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by Paj People 2009 View Post
                          Hi fellas,

If the car's handbook states 2500kg towing capacity, putting a 3 tonne towbar does not increase it's capabilites.
                          This is true. I forgot that before the 2010 update the tow rating was 2500kg, but was that for the auto only, or was it?

My hand book states 3000kg for auto or manual.
                          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X