• Show
Clear All
  • Ranger J
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Aftermarket/Non-Standard Seats for NM/NP

Hi Guys,

Done a search but couldn't find much to my assistance.

I'm seriously considering ditching the factory front seats in the Paj. I have found my old (NK) and current (NP) pajero to have very average seats, especially for driving long hauls. I consider myself to have a sensitive back and I can really feel it if I have been sitting in the saddle for at least 3hrs over a day...and I'm only 23! In particular, I think the lumbar support is almost non-existent.

I want to take a bit of proactive measure now to reduce the possible impacts later down the track.

So I'll be looking to fit a set of aftermarket (i.e. Recaro) or sports car (i.e. XR series, Commodore, Jap import) seats to the Paj. I don't think there will be too much of an issue in the fabrication side of things to make it fit, it is more or less the compliance I am concerned about. In particular, both seats appear have weight sensors installed to trigger the airbags in the event of a crash. I'm hoping to do a little more research and see whether many other of the seats I am looking at cater for this.

I will also contact a friend of mine who has fitted a seat from a 180sx into both a prado and a 79 series now - I don't think he would have done so until it was compliant with his insurance co.

I am happy to hear others thoughts, suggestions, opinions.

Cheers,
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.
  • Ian Johnston
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Mount Gambier, SA

Depends on what model NP. My 2004 NP Exceed has airbags in the sides of the seats, so I could see that as a problem with aftermarket seats, unless Recaro etc do airbag seats these days.

Paratus (ARB) may do an airbag seat, as they make Ford original equip seats.
    2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
    Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
    2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

if you want great extra cumfort from your seat, try the Beads that cabbies use plus fit a good set of lambswool covers .
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Cypher
        • Jul 2007
        • Perth

Lambswool covers make a huge differance
        NP VRX 2006 DID, Milford Cargo Barrier, 50mm lift, Dual Batteries, Uniden UHF, Tint, Helton shower system,TJM Bash Plates, Rhino bars and carrier.

Comment

• tonyg62
          • Apr 2010
          • adelaide

non standard/factory replacement seats and particularly the rails and sliders if modified may need to be checked by a suitable engineer and certificate issued, this may affect insurance and ADR's and roadworthiness

( they do in SAust)
          NW GLX Silver DiD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, 2" lift

Comment

• AJC
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2009
            • ACT

or go eat a teaspoon of cement and hardn the F...up!!

Kids these days!!
            Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Matatak
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2008
              • Perth

Yeah Ranger try some good quality Sheepskin/lambswool covers.

Ive got some in my car and parents bought a set for there NP pretty much straight away after having them for many years in my car.

Got a mate from Supercheap to get them in for me so maybe Bakerboy can get you some to for a decent price ?

And yeah they definetely make a big difference.
              05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• gaz1
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Blue Mountains NSW

If you've worked out what is lacking in the standard seats, a solution might be to go to an auto trimmer and get the originals reupholstered with a shape that better suits your requirements.

That way all the fittings etc stay standard and you'd have no problems with the ADRs.

Gaz
                2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X