Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Not sure if this will work on an NS, however, I improved my economy and towing performance with an extractor on my 3l V6 1993 Pajero
The verdict from most people seems to be that extractors donít do a lot for the Gen4. I was going to replace the exhaust tho and may do the extractors anyways.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroma View Post
Last time I towed a friendís van I got around 23L. Keeping it under that would be great.
I know thereís not a lot that can be done, but any tips would help.

New car entirely is on the horizon but not yet.
Mine is also a V6 and stock standard. - remove the 3rd row if you are not using it - less weight carried = less fuel use.

As mentioned keep tyre pressure on check, I run my tyres at 35 PSI (Scorpion ATR) and usually get 15-16L/100Kms on daily drives with a best of 13L/100kms on long drives - not towing anything though but boot full of stuff + passengers. Keep servicing up to date depending on your usage.

I also got the I-drive throttle controller but not sure if it makes any difference but helps in controlling smooth acceleration which in small way helps fuel economy.
Old 1 Week Ago

Ours is a gen 3 NP, but has a V6 3.8 - we were getting around 22L/100km's towing a very small van. Much, much worse in headwinds, or strong crosswinds.

We used a full tank from three ways to the Barkley roadhouse! (strong headwinds)

We like the car, so we sold the van & went back to a camper trailer. Immediate improvement! We did an outback trip towing the camper last Oct & were getting better fuel economy on outback dirt roads than we get around town not towing, which is around 16L/100km's.

Back on the tar, Alice to Adelaide, we were getting 16's.

We don't have a roof rack, but the car was loaded up with 2 x fridges, toolbox, compressor, portable AGM battery in box etc. Tow ball weight was getting up near the max!

If I liked the caravan more, I'd have sold the petrol & bought a diesel.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
Ours is a gen 3 NP, but has a V6 3.8 - we were getting around 22L/100km's towing a very small van. Much, much worse in headwinds, or strong crosswinds.

We used a full tank from three ways to the Barkley roadhouse! (strong headwinds)

We like the car, so we sold the van & went back to a camper trailer. Immediate improvement! We did an outback trip towing the camper last Oct & were getting better fuel economy on outback dirt roads than we get around town not towing, which is around 16L/100km's.

We don't have a roof rack, but the car was loaded up with 2 x fridges, toolbox, compressor, portable AGM battery in box etc. Tow ball weight was getting up near the max!

Just to clarify, that was towing the camper trailer, not the caravan. The caravan only had about 160kg on the ball.

We were running HT tyres with 40PSI while towing the van on the tar. AT tyres while towing the camper at 26PSI on the dirt roads.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post

Unfortunately sheís dead against the camper idea. Wants the creature comforts like aircon etc.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

I tow a van that usually weighs something like 23-2400kg. The NT MY11 Pajero 3.8, currently with about 130,000 on the clock, will typically use somewhere between 23-26 litres/100km, higher if we are in very hilly terrain or going into real headwinds. I normally travel at about 90km/hr when towing, or whatever the limit is below that. I don't bother with higher octane petrol, from my experience the difference in performance and consumption is negligible. When towing I use 44psi rear tyres, 38psi front, they are Geolandar ATs, I will change back to HTs next tyre change.
The Paj tows the vehicle well, a little slow on big and long hills but I am not reluctant to use revs to keep the road speed respectable. The quietness and smoothness of the engine is nice, so I feel no inclination to opt for a diesel.
The difference in overall costs for travelling with our setup, -v- a diesel NT Pajero is not enormous when you take into consideration purchase/resale price/investment, maintenance costs, not having to try out various modifications to the diesel engine, and fuel consumption. There's an old saying that goes something like..."the cheapest part of travelling in a car is the fuel"....whether that's strictly true I don't know, but I'm prepared to accept the idea and not worry too much about fuel consumption.
If there is an issue, it is the range between fills when towing. I have sometimes used a jerry can when it looked like a worry, but depending on where you travel, it's not usually a problem.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
Old 5 Days Ago

Default Improving economy

I've got the 2006 NS LWB mivec 3.8 auto and get 11.8L/100 (not towing obviously).

I bought it with cracked manifolds and took it straight to get extractors done and 2 cats removed the next day. The last set of boots i put on are the OEM MN Triton Dueler 845(i think) in 245/65/17.

Yes that is under the placard of 265/65/17 and 111 Load Rating instead of 112.
The vehicle has done 192K and I only run 98 fuel.

The reason for the smaller tyres is the trans sounded like it was labouring on hills so I went lighter and less circumference to raise the effective diff gearing ratio. Before the tyres with just extractors was 12.5L/ 100.