Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Rear Tail Shaft

Hi Everyone

On advice from a mechanic I just had all the rear diff bushes replaced to remove a small clunk. Now I have lots more clunks. I will do more investigation but it appears the tail shaft from my manual gearbox to the rear diff could be the culprit.

Has anyone had similar issues?

In 4H or awd the front diff etc seems to stop the play and no clunks, but in 2H, rear wheel drive you now get it on all gear changes, sometime quite noticeably. Well mainly in lower 3 gears.

Does anyone have any advice on replacing the tail shaft, new from Mitsubishi, wreckers, trying to replace what I can on the existing one myself or getting it reconditioned from someone like HardySpacer if that is possible?

I would appreciate advice as I am a bit unsure.

The new bushes are superpro’s and the mechanic said they probably transmit more noise, but he has done other Pajero’s and no problem.

Regards

Peter
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Check the passenger side rear axle nut.

Known problem. They need to be *^%&^%$ tight.

Do a search on here.
Old 6 Days Ago

Hi

Thanks for the tip, this time the nut appears to be innocent.

Still suspecting the tail shaft between the gearbox and diff, but as I have not had many replies I am suspecting this is not a common problem.

I am suspecting the Superpro rear diff bushing does transmit a bit too much noise as well, but it should not be this bad.

As for that nut, when we had to replace the rear wheel bearings a couple of months ago the rear left nut was held in only by the split pin style gizmo for the nut and the nut spun off by hand. I am not sure if this was because the wheel bearing was stuffed.

Cheers

Peter
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu07 View Post
As for that nut, when we had to replace the rear wheel bearings a couple of months ago the rear left nut was held in only by the split pin style gizmo for the nut and the nut spun off by hand. I am not sure if this was because the wheel bearing was stuffed.
This sounds like a complete lack of proper assembly from the start. The axle nut is supposed to have something like 210nm of torque applied and thats with the wheel in the air - not on the ground taking load, which is what happened i am guessing. No wonder the bearings sh#t themselves.

Hope they HAVE been installed correctly this time