Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 6 Days Ago

Default Removing cv axle

Hello, please help me on trying to remove the front left cv axle as I need to replace the seal. I have a 05 Montero and already took off whats needed to access the part.
I've searched and I haven't seen a definitive solution. Some said just pull it out with all your might, some said pry it out and some said tap it with a hammer. I've tried just pulling out for now but to no avail.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Just make sure again that all the bolts are undone. I changed both sides of mine quite easily, just unbolted and moved the suspension arms (donít think I disconnected the steering) moved the hub out as far as I could and just pulled it out. A little bit of effort but No hammering etc.
Old 6 Days Ago
Resident

I've never had it "pull" out. For Shorty, first time, we had to drop the front cover and lever it out from inside. Every time since then, it's been a combination of levering on both sides, plus pulling.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Just make sure again that all the bolts are undone. I changed both sides of mine quite easily, just unbolted and moved the suspension arms (donít think I disconnected the steering) moved the hub out as far as I could and just pulled it out. A little bit of effort but No hammering etc.
Thanks Nab. i have everything out just the axle resting on the bottom control arm. So you just strong arm it outwards no push and pull?
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I've never had it "pull" out. For Shorty, first time, we had to drop the front cover and lever it out from inside. Every time since then, it's been a combination of levering on both sides, plus pulling.
I think I'm going for your method as I'm not going anywhere with trying to just pull. Thanks for your insight.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

It was a little while ago but my main issue was getting it past the steering/suspension. I was too slack to take out everything haha!!! Possibly had to push/pull but no massive forces needed.