• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
    I'm now looking to replace the deep cycle under the bonnet which is in the rear spot, I didn't do the swap of the starter/aux locations.

Has anyone got a Lead crystal in that location and if so, what sort and how is it going?

Any other suggestions to try and replace the one I have are appreciated but I'd love to get something with more than the 86ah I have now. It's been fine but over 3 years now and I'd be happier on an upcoming trip if I replaced it before we have problems.
    All I can say is see the light brother. Go AGM in the rear, away from engine heat and feed it with a dc/dc charger.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I appreciate the advice mate but I've got that space full of 'stuff' and I'd rather not add another 25kg to the rear axle.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• gen1
        • Nov 2012
        • Melbourne

I ended up with a Lead Crystal bought through Every Battery. They were very curious to see how it manages so we are monitoring the battery via a wireless monitor. I haven't had any long trips yet so its difficult to say how it will perform long term, but the monitor is showing it is 100% charged via the alternator. They were adamant that I wouldn't need a DC/DC charger, but are certainly aware of desire for many people to have one, so they are also keen to see how it performs. I can't give a long term review, but so far so good.
        2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Thanks for that. I have had a look at their website. What size is it (and I assume under the bonnet ?)
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

Originally posted by gen1 View Post
            I ended up with a Lead Crystal bought through Every Battery. They were very curious to see how it manages so we are monitoring the battery via a wireless monitor. I haven't had any long trips yet so its difficult to say how it will perform long term, but the monitor is showing it is 100% charged via the alternator. They were adamant that I wouldn't need a DC/DC charger, but are certainly aware of desire for many people to have one, so they are also keen to see how it performs. I can't give a long term review, but so far so good.
            Whether or not this arrangement works for you depends on the type of driving you do on your long trips and the demand load on your second batttery.

Furthethr to my previous post above, if you significantly discharge your second battery and then only drive for a relatively short time (say less than 3 hours) your alternator is highly unlikely to recharge the battery to a full state. A DCDC charger will reduce the recharge time significantly but this may or may not be relevant to you.

A top up solar panel may be a cheaper alternative, too, to an expensive charger, if you spend more time stationary in the sun than driving.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

[QUOTE=gen1;602751]I ended up with a Lead Crystal bought through Every Battery. They were very curious to see how it manages so we are monitoring the battery via a wireless monitor. I haven't had any long trips yet so its difficult to say how it will perform long term, but the monitor is showing it is 100% charged via the alternator. They were adamant that I wouldn't need a DC/DC charger, but are certainly aware of desire for many people to have one, so they are also keen to see how it performs. I can't give a long term review, but so far so good.[/QUO

As I said...lead crystal is just an AGM with a marketing gimmick. Plain and simple. Most AGM,s dont like under bonnet installation. Some people have success whilst others do not. I expect at least 5 years out of my boot mounted batteries but would expect know where near that with an under bonnet job. Hopefully it works for you.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• gen1
                • Nov 2012
                • Melbourne

Ian H, its the 80H battery, and having just looked under the bonnet to get the details I notice it is noticeably bulging just like the AGM it replaced. So back to the shop for me tomorrow! This setup, if i can get a reliable battery, works well for me for a few reasons. The battery only runs the fridge, and the fridge is only in the car if I'm going on a trip which tends to involve a long drive. There is a solar panel on the roof which keeps everything topped up if I'm parked for a day or two. As this car has been rather problematic I'm reluctant to spend any more money on it, the intention now is to keep it for the warranty period only and replace it with something more reliable/suitable that I can then spend the money on a proper long term electrical fit out. This battery and setup only has to last another two years, and my now bulging battery will be covered under its warranty until then.
                2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Thanks for that advice. My battery (86ah Exide) is 3.5 years old and hasn't caused me any problems at all. I was thinking of changing over so I could use more than the 50% of capacity, if you can believe the marketing blurb on Lead Crystal. I have a set of portable ultra light panels (150W) which I can plug in the an anderson on the bull bar to help keep it going when required. I run a fridge too, but like you only on trips. It run it as a freezer more often that not so it does require more power than if it was just keeping the beer cold.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X