Comment

• Faereag
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009
      • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Originally posted by tamlin View Post
      Following your thread with interest.
      Hi Tamlin

Still waiting on paperwork finalisation. Hopefully I will have something positive to respond with soon.
      Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• Faereag
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Aberfoyle Park, SA

For those that are interested - awaiting call from Authorities to do final inspection and issuance of exemption.

The new plate (which has been fitted), reads:

GVM 3110KG

Tow-able load 3000KG

Tow-ball 300KG

WDH recommended for loads over 135KG.

I will confirm official acceptance ASAP, together with other pertinent details.

Very happy chappy here!
        Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• Ent
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2014
          • Tasmania

I looked at upgrading my PC Challenger to GVM and the response from the engineer my setup would be safe but he would want $5000 to do the work as every aspect has to be checked from brakes through to the interaction of the ESC system. The local 4x4 shop did a deal with him on the Landcruiser 200 as their load limit is just plain stupid from the factory.

On towing I would imagine the massive improvements in electronic braking systems would reset once was stupid into what is safe. Heck thank goodness has gone the days of unbraked caravans and simple coupling braking is on the way out as well. Manufactures are rather deceptive on towing capacity as while my Challenger is rated to three tonne I think once past 2.5 tonne adjustable electronic brakes are needed by law. Tempted to use DooSo as a tug just to see what it is like to drive. I would think the over geared first and reverse would make me look of a way to use low range without the centre diff been locked. If that could be done then most of my issues would go away with the manual.

Very interested in the electronic anti sway systems. They should be a real game changer on safety. Drove one of the ultra cheap Kias with smart anti understeer electronics. I grew up on front wheel drives and plough understeer but dammed if I could get this thing to misbehave. It cornered like it was on rails with totally predictable handling. Made my old XR6 turbo feel like a truck!
          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
            • May 2017
            • Freo ish

It would be great to know who does the engineering paperwork in WA for us Sandgropers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Faereag
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2009
              • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Originally posted by Rnn_onmt View Post
              It would be great to know who does the engineering paperwork in WA for us Sandgropers.

Go to: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/publi...asp?q=engineer

Then download PDFIB-102 from list - list of approved engineers is at the bottom.
              Regards

Rory

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                • May 2017
                • Freo ish

Cheers

Comment

• Faereag
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Originally posted by Faereag View Post
                  For those that are interested - awaiting call from Authorities to do final inspection and issuance of exemption.

The new plate (which has been fitted), reads:

GVM 3110KG

Tow-able load 3000KG

Tow-ball 300KG

WDH recommended for loads over 135KG.

I will confirm official acceptance ASAP, together with other pertinent details.

Very happy chappy here!
                  Update for the interested.

Regency Park (South Australian transport inspection office), has, this morning officially approved my GVM upgrade to 3110 kg. Tow-ball rating now 300 kg up to 3000 kg.

Has been a moderately long process, but well worth the effort for those of us who want a bit more towing flexibility when towing with our Pajero's. At worst the tug/tow ratio is greater than 1:1 and better than 1.2:1 towing just over 2500 kg.

Awaiting issue of exemption certificate. Will release other details as soon as engineer gives me the go ahead.
                  Regards

Rory

Comment

• Russell T
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Bunbury WA

Well done Rory. Great outcome, I have contacted six of the contacts on the list above for certifying engineers in WA but no one is interested
                    Cheers, Russell

2014 VRX ARB deluxe bar 17 inch BFGs, Redarc BCDC charger dual batteries, Blue Tounge compressor, Boosbashplates, traction control mod, LRA aux tank, HD Lovell springs Bilstein shocks

Comment

• Faereag
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Hi Russell

Rather strange attitude from engineers by look of it. Surely in WA of all places (a 4wd mecca), such upgrades would be of interest for a number of reasons. And there is money to be made.

Perhaps with NSW and SA now endorsing such upgrades, other jurisdictions might also consider the same.

At least I can legally visit your State now and carry some water as well. And the Paj tows sooooo much better with a nice tow-ball weight.
                      Regards

Rory

Comment

• MSF
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Well done on following it through not only for yourself, but for the other people that may wish to follow in your footsteps..

Every vehicle is a compromise to some degree and there is no single vehicle on the market today that will do everything that is needed without some modification / accessory or option. This is just another modification done to improve the vehicle's suitability for you. Not everyone will want (or need) it, but kudos to you for making it possible..

And finally, Zig Ziglar said it best...... "Some people look for fault like there is a reward for it..."

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                          Well done on following it through not only for yourself, but for the other people that may wish to follow in your footsteps..

Every vehicle is a compromise to some degree and there is no single vehicle on the market today that will do everything that is needed without some modification / accessory or option. This is just another modification done to improve the vehicle's suitability for you. Not everyone will want (or need) it, but kudos to you for making it possible..

And finally, Zig Ziglar said it best...... "Some people look for fault like there is a reward for it..."

TRUE........The reward being reliability, safety and awareness....
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Faereag
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Originally posted by MSF View Post

Thanks MSF

Exactly, I did it because it specifically suits my needs, but it will allow others (mainly Vanners), to increase the ATM range of the vans they may be considering, knowing that there is a solution to the 180 Kg drawback and even the 250 Kg limit associated with using Pajero's as tugs.

The number of times I went to caravan shows to be told my Paj could not legally tow a moderately heavy van was daunting. Now there is an option to keep the Pajero, factoring in the upgrade cost. The alternative being to pay dead money in the form of GST and stamp duty as part of a vehicle upgrade.

I know that if I had a nicely kitted out Pajero, I would be reluctant to start again with another vehicle unless I had won the lotteries!
                            Regards

Rory

Comment

• Yugi
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Mount Martha

Hello Rory - can you tell me who did the work on your vehicle for the GVM & TBW upgrade please? I'd like to get this done but being in Vic there seems to be noone who has taken this on. Jimbo2 has decided not too and the NSW suspension mob Climax Suspension Systems have a TBW increase to 3T but did not do the GVM with it. After contacting them they said they are still waiting for Vic roads to certify the TBW upgrade for Vic. Any help would be great as I'm after an official way of getting that extra 80kg of payload.

Cheers
                              2013 NW GLXR: Bushskinz all round, Rasllar Rear Bar, Tradesman RR with Drifta Rapid Wing Awning, BB & winch, snorkel, HPD FMIC, & other bits and pieces.

Comment

• Faereag
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2009
                                • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Yugi - PM sent to you.
                                Regards

Rory

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X