• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pimbi
    • Feb 2012
    • Streak Bay

car wash solution please

I have recently purchased Meguiars Gold class car wash after using CT 18 for a while.I hose off dust etc with rain water,have used the proper hand mit & also a sponge,.hose off as I go,then wipe off any residual water ,panel by panel & polish off with completely dry cloth.Have got 15 klm to the nearest bitumen but the paint work looks like it has been wiped over with a wet cloth ie watery looking marks swirled all over.I have used the Meguiars about 5 times.Any sugestion on the best way of washing, & or shampoo to use ,to when dealing with dusty rural roads.Thinking of going back to using a chamois for the final wipe over.The 2 bucket system didn,t work either.Years ago I always had the cleanest car in the district using a small squirt of Handy Andy in the bucket.Not game to try it in the Paj. Would love some help on the above please.I wash in the shade too!
  • lizard
    • Mar 2010

I blow dry my cars and 4x4 with my Stihl leaf blower works a treat

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pimbi View Post
      Thinking of going back to using a chamois for the final wipe over.
      I reckon you might have answered your own question there!

Can't beat a good quality shamois. I have no idea where to get a decent one (or which brand).The ones I've been using for years I bought of a mate who was in the trade but has now moved overseas.

What chamois are other forumites using?

I like to have one chamois for paintwork and a second one that is dedicated for wheels, engine bay, door jams, etc.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• CartwrMa
        • Aug 2011
        • Brisbane

My first post well here I go ( my Tug NW White GLXR 2 weeks old at 500km, HD Firestone Airbags, Tekonsha Prodigy, Formula 1 Tint. MM Towbar kit, Rhino Racks, lots more to come in 2014) Its ready for towing and that's all Im concerned about, gettin out there.

I've ve just detailed a new NW Paj and an old Paj NM, my new paj looked ordinary when I got it. It had been in the yard for god know's how long. MM paint is crap/thin. a bit like our Sub Forester.

You need a spare couple of hrs listening to the radio etc for this wash and this is only for the few out here they give a toss about paintcare etc
        You should only need do it once or twice a year depending on your environment etc

Have used Gold Class for years, its ok if u buy it on special. I have switched to new Meguiars NXT Tech Wash

The swirles try Meguiars Scratch X, never used it but i read its ok, lots of detailers use it according to USA online forums.

My detail/anal tips ( once year) as I've ve just done it twice in the past month.

Use good microfibre cloths, I dont use sponges, use a good mit, use quality chamois and keep real clean i use about about 4 microfibre towels one for each stage

My pajbus is a Flat white (non-metallic) and has come out glossy white, everything beads nothing sticks to it (yet), very smooth, showroom proud.

The detail
        Meguirs Nxt Tech Wash, as normal
        Meguiars Claybar and Polish ( painful 1.5 hrs but made a hell of a difference)
        Meguiars Mirror Glaze, hand polish on/off, brings out the depth of the paint colour
        Use Tech wax, love this stuff, polish on /off all by hand, no machines
        Repeated wax step
        I use Mothers natural black for any external plastics, they look new again
        All in the shade followed by:

A few beers, James Squire Pale Ale Nine Tails is the poison this month
        Followed by Bundy Rum for dessert.

Next wash will be Nxt Tech Wash and that's it
        Every so often Il hit it with Meguiar's Quik detailer ultimate wax, keeps it protected.
        This Paj is a business car so needs to be kept clean.

I didn't buy paint protection, my mate was a detailer said wax on/ wax off canubra,

My wife wishes I would clean the house the way I cleaned the car....lol, not going to happen.
        2013 NW GLXR tugs a tribe around in an Outback Expanda 14.44.4(modded), 2002 NM GLS gonski but not forgotten
        Expandas Downunder Forum Member

Comment

• CartwrMa
          • Aug 2011
          • Brisbane

Meguiars synthetic
          2013 NW GLXR tugs a tribe around in an Outback Expanda 14.44.4(modded), 2002 NM GLS gonski but not forgotten

Comment

• TheTaipan
            Banned
            • Jan 2009
            • sydney

I have recently purchased Meguiars Gold class car wash after using CT 18 for a while.I hose off dust etc with rain water,have used the proper hand mit & also a sponge,.hose off as I go,then wipe off any residual water ,panel by panel & polish off with completely dry cloth.Have got 15 klm to the nearest bitumen but the paint work looks like it has been wiped over with a wet cloth ie watery looking marks swirled all over.I have used the Meguiars about 5 times.Any sugestion on the best way of washing, & or shampoo to use ,to when dealing with dusty rural roads.Thinking of going back to using a chamois for the final wipe over.The 2 bucket system didn,t work either.Years ago I always had the cleanest car in the district using a small squirt of Handy Andy in the bucket.Not game to try it in the Paj. Would love some help on the above please.I wash in the shade too!

Hosing first will not remove the dust/dirt. The reason dust/dirt sticks is the negative/positive charge between vehicle and atmosphere.

Quality detergent is needed to break down the surface tension.

CT18 can be a bit harsh on paintwork. I would rather use RL18 also made by Warwick/Chemtech.

I have been using a wash from Amorall lately and find that pretty good.

With RL18 you can wash in the sun or shade and you don't have to wash a portion at a time. Wash the whole car then rinse it off.

Believe it or not there is an art and a proper way to wash a vehicle.

Comment

• markpeh
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Lake Clarendon QLD

Originally posted by lizard View Post
              I blow dry my cars and 4x4 with my Stihl leaf blower works a treat
              This sounds like a good idea. The problem with using a Chamois on a car that drives on dust road is that the wiping with the chamois leaves marks for the dust to stick to (static maybe?)
              NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• Pimbi
                • Feb 2012
                • Streak Bay

Originally posted by markpeh View Post
                This sounds like a good idea. The problem with using a Chamois on a car that drives on dust road is that the wiping with the chamois leaves marks for the dust to stick to (static maybe?)
                Yes ,am wondering if the static electricity that the NW hits us with when we are getting out of the car helps the dust to adhere.Does anyone use Nu Finish wash or polish ?

Comment

• alister
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

All the Harley riders use Mr Sheen from the supermarket. Wash and dry the car, squirt on Mr Sheen (on to a dry rag) then wipe off (with another dry rag) while it is still wet. Don't allow it to dry as it will streak. I use those synthetic microcloth rags bundled in several colors from kmart. Great results for paint, chrome, pipes, mirrors, the lot. About $5 a bottle. The same thing in an auto bottle would be 5 times the price. It's silicon so I don't know how it will go on top of wax, may take a couple of applications.

Comment

• geopaj
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Adelaide

Yes ,am wondering if the static electricity that the NW hits us with when we are getting out of the car helps the dust to adhere.Does anyone use Nu Finish wash or polish ?
                    I love the Nu Finsh polish. Well, actually, it is more of a paint sealer than a polish. It may not create the best shine but i find it is awsome at protecting paint.
                    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• pauld
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Melbourne

3M products are great

2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• cranky
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Sydney

I use Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax to wash the car, and then
                        1/ Meguiars Ultimate polish
                        2/ Meguiars Ultimate wax and also the spray wax after each wash to maintain
                        paint work
                        3/ Meguires Chamois never had a problem with streaks

Car looks fantastic better than the day i picked her up from the dealer.

Cheers Cranky
                        NW ironbark Platinum 3.2 DiD Auto, MM Alloy Bull Bar, TX3520 UHF Radio, 175 Narva Driving Lights, Engine Watch Dog, Piranha Dual Battery System, 16 foot olympic javelin caravan.

Comment

• 72yellow
                          • Jul 2007
                          • ADL

Originally posted by alister View Post
                          All the Harley riders use Mr Sheen from the supermarket. Wash and dry the car, squirt on Mr Sheen (on to a dry rag) then wipe off (with another dry rag) while it is still wet. Don't allow it to dry as it will streak. I use those synthetic microcloth rags bundled in several colors from kmart. Great results for paint, chrome, pipes, mirrors, the lot. About $5 a bottle. The same thing in an auto bottle would be 5 times the price. It's silicon so I don't know how it will go on top of wax, may take a couple of applications.

It's funny that Mr Sheen came up. I know a guy uses it religiously on his black hilux and it comes up a treat - he swears by it.
                          I always thought no way and haven't tried it but have seen what appears to be good results
                          NX Exceed

Comment

• CartwrMa
                            • Aug 2011
                            • Brisbane

Yes, I used the old Mr Sheen on interior plastics on My old NM looked better than new, also great for keeping the old antenna clean and smooth if it gets clunky when going up/down, have used nu finish, a classic and works very well, also use 3M scotchgard on fabric, 2 cans did the job, cheers

Comment

• Pimbi
                              • Feb 2012
                              • Streak Bay

I just want something that the dust won,t stick to.Your replies are very helpful.May need to to have fun & do each panel with a different method & cleaner!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X