• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talisker
    • Mar 2019
    • Victoria

Pajero NW Diesel Engine Oil

we just bought a 2014 NW diesel with 85000km and trying to decide on engine oil, the Mistu dealer used Valvoline 15w 40 diesel full synthetic for the last service which does not seem to be the right spec ala oil weight. I believe the specs are for Penrite ENVIRO+ C3 5W-30 or Castrol EDGE 0W-40, does anyone have any recommendations my view is to go with the penrite or maybe Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-30. I will be doing changes every 7,500KM or thereabouts so most diesel oils with the correct weights should be good I imagine, as its had full synthetic I am going to stick with that otherwise I would probably go the magnetic Diesel oil route.
    All thoughts appreciated.
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

After way too much agonising about this and speaking to a very knowledgeable bloke at Penrite technical support for around half an hour, I was convinced that Penrite's recommended oil was the way to go for my NX. I returned the other type I had already bought. Other brands' recommended oils are probably fine too.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Manufacturers are increasingly specifying oil as much for fuel economy (aka emissions reductions) as they are for engine longevity. Thinner oil = less drag = less protection during normal running. Thicker oil = more drag = less protection during cold starts. As long as the engine lasts through the warranty period, Mitsubishi don't care what happens after that.

Given that you're in Victoria and we're heading into winter, the 0W and 5W are probably reasonable choices. I wouldn't run those oils in northern states, or anywhere in summer.

I'm using a 10W-40 in my NT, would happily use a 15W-40 in summer.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

I have used Penrite oils in all my cars, including the wifes, for years and never had an issue.

I'm not saying it's better than any other brand of oil just I believe its a good quality brand and is Australian. Its subjective with some people favouring a brand over others so I hope this doesnt turn into a bun fighf!
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• _jp_
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
          Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-30.
          I don't think you need MST in the NW as there is no DPF.

I've been running Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 (not MST) every 7500KM. Paj has recently ticked over 94000KMs and there's no evidence of oil use.

One think I did notice with the last couple of oil changes was that the sump oil has remained much cleaner since fitting catch-can and EGR delete.
          NW GLXR - SOLD
          --------------
          EVO 6 TME

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Supercheap Saturday only 30% off engine oil.

Comment

• Talisker
              • Mar 2019
              • Victoria

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
              After way too much agonising about this and speaking to a very knowledgeable bloke at Penrite technical support for around half an hour, I was convinced that Penrite's recommended oil was the way to go for my NX. I returned the other type I had already bought. Other brands' recommended oils are probably fine too.
              I think the penrite is likely a good choice Thank You

Comment

• reciprovac
                • Jan 2011
                • broadford Victoria, Australia

nw engine oil

If you check the hand book the temperature the vehicle operates in determines the viscosity.
                In Victoria I believe the 10w/40 is the most suitable.
                I use Penrite or CastrolMaganatec in semi synthetic form,depending on special offers at the time.
                Interesting to be told that Repco brand oils are Penrite.
                I change oils every 5000 kms by choice.
                Vehicle has 150,000 currently.
                Regards.
                2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• Talisker
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  Manufacturers are increasingly specifying oil as much for fuel economy (aka emissions reductions) as they are for engine longevity. Thinner oil = less drag = less protection during normal running. Thicker oil = more drag = less protection during cold starts. As long as the engine lasts through the warranty period, Mitsubishi don't care what happens after that.

Given that you're in Victoria and we're heading into winter, the 0W and 5W are probably reasonable choices. I wouldn't run those oils in northern states, or anywhere in summer.

I'm using a 10W-40 in my NT, would happily use a 15W-40 in summer.
                  Eah I do agree with the lighter weight for winter an maybe something abit heavier for summer I have never liked the idea of a )W oil even in Vic when its 40 degrees.
                  Overall the penrite is probably a good choice for all year use if I could get a heavier weight castrol edge for summer I would probably go with the 5w in winter and something heavier in summer we may be Victoria but we do get some hot days in summer.

Thanks for the help and advice I think autobarn had the penrite on sale so I wil;l go an get me some, even though a service was just done clean to change all the fluids that should have been done by this time i.e 85KM or 4 years. Cheers

Comment

• Paj11
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
                    Eah I do agree with the lighter weight for winter an maybe something abit heavier for summer I have never liked the idea of a )W oil even in Vic when its 40 degrees.
                    Overall the penrite is probably a good choice for all year use if I could get a heavier weight castrol edge for summer I would probably go with the 5w in winter and something heavier in summer we may be Victoria but we do get some hot days in summer.

Thanks for the help and advice I think autobarn had the penrite on sale so I wil;l go an get me some, even though a service was just done clean to change all the fluids that should have been done by this time i.e 85KM or 4 years. Cheers
                    My Mechanic only uses Mobil in his workshop,
                    The Mobil Spec for the NT is 0w-40 with another two specs, can’t recall, but he always uses 0w-40, expensive but it’s only once a year.
                    2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X