• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

Another Roof Console

Well I thought I would post some pics of a Centre Console I am making at the moment..
    I have 2 UHF's, one for chit-chat and one for Scanning other Channels... After putting up with the 2nd Radio wedged into the other radio slot in the Dash, I soon got sick of re-wedging it after a trip on a dirt road..
    So the other day I found this Broken shelf from My local Supermarket thrown in the Bin... Mmmm I can use that I thought... 1/2 for My Gemstone Cabinets as Display, now what to do with the other 1/2.... Centre Console so here are some pics of My Console... So Far...

Broken Shelf...
    IMG_0025.JPG
    Other 1/2...
    IMG_0026.JPG
    Getting there...
    IMG_0023.JPG
    Still getting there...
    IMG_0022.JPG
    Ready for Fitting some Goodies...
    IMG_0024.JPG

Gemster...
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

Ouch 1/8 Drill Bit straight through Thumb Nail... Off to DR's I go.. After some X-rays, I now have a very sore thumb with a nice hole into the Bone...
    Dr said that it's good there is No Metal in there... Till I told him I was drilling Plastic and he changed his tone... I have 'Foreign Objects' in there and hopefully they are bits of my Fingernail and NOT Plastic... 35yrs as a Sheet-metal Worker and I have never done this.. 2Hrs building a Console and Bang... So a bit of a delay till my Thumb heals and I can finish it...
    IMG_0021.JPG

Gemster.....
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

Nice work so far gemster! Until you ventilated your thumb that is! Ouch
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Your too soft dude, least you still have a nail. Mine got flicked into the bin by the doctor

Seriously though, that's a real bummer. Hope it heals ok.
        Attached Files
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• gemster
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Gold Coast

I will loose my nail eventually too... Prefer to loose it naturally, than have someone remove it for me... Lol.. Healing nicely tho and No sign of Infection...Yet... Glad im not the only Silly Bugger Sharkcaver...
          Gemster....

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Yes, I feel your pain brother. Get well hey.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• gemster
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Gold Coast

Well a bit of work done this Weekend... Finger still a bit sore... But you get that...

I have now cut Holes for Goodies to be kept in the sides and on the rear I will mount a USB Port for charging Phones and things... I have also cut out for the Factory Interior Lights to be mounted.... I also need to extend some wires as they wont reach the bottom of the Console..
              The Light holes are a little rough and I need to file them down...
              Some more pics...

First Layer of Foam to Minimize Head Impact..
              IMG_0029.JPG
              Rough Holes before filing...

IMG_0030.JPG
              UHF mount and some Foam inside to make it nice and soft..

IMG_0031.JPG
              I will be using the Factory Mirror mounts and Rear Light mounts to hold it up... That glue on the Mirror mount is a pain to try and keep, So I used some Rubber in there to take out the Vibration... Seems to work Ok so far... Just waiting for Postie to send me my USB port, cut the hole for it, Electrical wires to be installed... Then I can cover it with a nice Fleecy Material.... Getting there.... Far better than spending $400 + on a plastic Console from E bay...

Gemster....
              Last edited by gemster; 17-06-18, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• gemster
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Gold Coast

I also got a few of these off Ebay to hold my Goodies in so they won't fly out at the wrong time and strike my Head... Not too bad for around $ 3 each.... We will see how long they will last... Here is the link for them... There are a few types available and some are 4 for $14... Shop around fellas...

IMG_0033.jpg
                Gemster.....
                Last edited by gemster; 17-06-18, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• gemster
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Gold Coast

Just about Finished... Had a trial fit before I covered with Material... And all is good....

I used a Fleece type of material that will stretch... And that makes things easier...
                  I have been taught to start on the large flat first....
                  IMG_0040.JPG
                  My little paint roller is very Helpful in smoothing things out...
                  IMG_0042.JPG
                  Thank you Darling for a few dozen Pegs....
                  IMG_0044.JPG
                  Fitted UHF and A nice and snug fit....
                  IMG_0046.JPG
                  Screw on Side Mesh and We have a Finished Console apart from a bit on the Rear.... And extend some wires for the Factory Lights...
                  IMG_0047.JPG

Gemster.....

Comment

• Wireystag
                    • Dec 2017
                    • Geelong

Good job mate. Be keen to see it fitted

Comment

• gemster
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Gold Coast

Thanks, I think it will turn out pretty good..

Im away ATM, besides im still waiting for a couple of Electric bits to arrive from Ebay..
                      When I get home it should only take a day to finish... Then install.... The only concern I have is Interference from the Elect wires that are Very Very Close to the UHF... Not too sure yet till I fit it... I also have a 3mm thick piece of Aluminium across the top of the radio about 2mm away from the UHF...

Can any-one recommend something that would prevent such interference on a Modern Car??

Gemster....

Comment

• gemster
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Gold Coast

Sorry for the delay, Life got in the way...

Finally got around to fitting things and install into Mitzy...

Might have to find another way to secure the Rear mount, as the factory light mount is not strong enough IMO...

Some pics of the finished product....

Gemster....

Comment

• gemster
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Gold Coast

Sorry about the quality of the pics...

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

And that completes My Centre Console....

Gemster....

Comment

• geopaj
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Adelaide

Neat job - I like the good match of the covering to the roof lining too
                            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• gemster
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Gold Coast

Thanks Justin, the colour match is slightly different but looks pretty neat... I couldn't match the colour without spending quite a few $$ on another headlining, so it was off to Spotlight and I found this one... Close but not the same....

Gemster....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X