• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan|NG|
    • Oct 2016
    • Brisbane

Gen 1 with 31 x 10.5 on 15s

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to the 4WD world and have just bought an old Pajero!

I was chasing something cheap and not too truck like to test things out with the family.

So currently looking at fitting new tyres. We'll start with trips to be the beach and inland to the Condamine River.

I'm thinking BG Goodrich A/T 31x10.5. Also planning to fit new suspension with a 2in lift.

What do others recommend?

I've been hunting around and found photos of Gen 1s with 33 x 10.5 with 15in -22 offset rims.

Anyone have a photo of 31x10.5s?

What do people think these are? I think they're 31 x 10.5. What offset and size rims would these be? They look similar to Triton rims but I don't think they are.

And are these 33x10.5?

Any advice or help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Nathan|NG|; 02-11-16, 06:46 PM.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

31x10.5 is probably the most common size tyre fitted to Gen 1 Pajeros, but possibly not technically legal in Australia - I don't remember what size tyre was fitted ex factory.

Personally, I would use 15x7" rims with a +10 or zero offset. I would expect just about any Mitsubishi 15x7" rim to be +10 offset.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nathan|NG|
      • Oct 2016
      • Brisbane

Thanks for the reply. I can help with the factory option. It was 235/75R15. So 31x10.5 with a 2in lift is perfectly legal in Qld... just.

The local tyre shop guy is recommended 17s as they are more common tyre size and cheaper. But I like the look of the 15s.

Why do you recommend the narrower rim? Is that just with the 31s?
      Last edited by Nathan|NG|; 02-11-16, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Nathan|NG| View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I can help with the factory option. It was 235/75R15. So 31x10.5 with a 2in lift is perfectly legal in Qld... just.

The local tyre shop guy is recommended 17s as they are more common tyre size and cheaper. But I like the look of the 15s.

Why do you recommend the narrower rim? Is that just with the 31s?
        Huh? Since when are 17" wheels and/or tyres cheaper than 15"?

Some models of Pajero used 235/75R15, probably on 15x6" rims. This size tyre was still offered on lower spec Pajeros to the last of the Gen 2 (NL). Somewhere along the line, they introduced 265/70R15 on 15x7" rims. As 31x10.5 is effectively a 265/75R15, they fit very well on the factory 15x7" rims.

Money no object, I'd recommend 265/75R16 on 16x7" factory alloys (+10 offset) or find some aftermarket 16x8" rims with zero offset. These are a 32" tyre, and probably the most common size available in Australia, offered in just about any make/model of offroad tyre you can imagine, and amongst the highest load ratings you'll find to fit your Pajero.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nathan|NG|
          • Oct 2016
          • Brisbane

Huh indeed!

So thought I'd consult the subject matter experts!

Money is definitely an object.

Been Googling and I think the steel rims above are off a BT50.

I don't really like the factory alloy rims so CSA make a 15x7 +10 steel rim which might be an option.

So I think the options are.

31 x 10.5 or 265/75R15 on 15s +10
          265/75R16 on 16x7 +10 or 16x8 +0
          33 x 10.5 on 15x8 -22

Thanks again!

Comment

• wazza87
            • Apr 2015
            • Gold Coast

Wheels and tyres

Gday mate,
            I run 33x10.5r15 on 15x8 steel rims with -22 offset. Will need factory flares or get some after market ones if you run that much offset though to keep it legal. I wanted the extra width for stability as the shorty loves to wanna roll over.

I have a set of excellent 31 tyres and rims im selling if you want to see.

Will need the offset with 33's to clear the inner guard. They speedo and odo will be out quite a bit. More stress on the clutch/trans. Less power. Looks epic though!

Check these pics of my rig, I found the 31's to be great for mild off road and I did mostly sand driving having never got stuck

[IMG][/IMG]
            -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by wazza87 View Post
              I run 33x10.5r15 on 15x8 steel rims with -22 offset. Will need factory flares or get some after market ones if you run that much offset though to keep it legal.
              The flares will help to keep it looking legal i.e. ensuring the tyres are appropriately covered by the guards.

To keep it strictly 100% legal you'll also need to understand current regulations for tyre diameter and wheel track. There's been significant change in this area in recent years (actually working in our favour for a change) so you might be OK with diameter. But I believe factory offset was +10, so a change to -22 will increase wheel track beyond the legal maximum.

Having said that, more than a few Pajeros are running around on -22 offset wheels.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• wazza87
                • Apr 2015
                • Gold Coast

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                The flares will help to keep it looking legal i.e. ensuring the tyres are appropriately covered by the guards.

To keep it strictly 100% legal you'll also need to understand current regulations for tyre diameter and wheel track. There's been significant change in this area in recent years (actually working in our favour for a change) so you might be OK with diameter. But I believe factory offset was +10, so a change to -22 will increase wheel track beyond the legal maximum.

Having said that, more than a few Pajeros are running around on -22 offset wheels.
                Thanks for clearing that up mate.
                For me, the risk of getting stung by DMRT for illegal offset is outweighed by the greater off-road stability. I didnt get 12.5 wide because it was going to sit outside my factory wide guards and look more illegal. And shoot more mud on my windows haha.

Waz
                -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• Nathan|NG|
                  • Oct 2016
                  • Brisbane

Thanks for all the info and advice guys. Much appreciated. It has definitely helped.

Last edited by Nathan|NG|; 04-11-16, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Nathan|NG|
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Brisbane

Hi guys,

Took your advice nj swb and spotted some Jap 15x8 -1 alloys for sale for a reasonable price. Still haven't got the car yet as it's being transported, but looking forward to fitting them. I may need flares but we'll see how we go. A bit different to the standard black you see everywhere.

I may start a build thread.

Thanks again for the advice.

Nathan.

Comment

• Zachman
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Nathan|NG| View Post
                      Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to the 4WD world and have just bought an old Pajero!

I was chasing something cheap and not too truck like to test things out with the family.

So currently looking at fitting new tyres. We'll start with trips to be the beach and inland to the Condamine River.

I'm thinking BG Goodrich A/T 31x10.5. Also planning to fit new suspension with a 2in lift.

What do others recommend?

I've been hunting around and found photos of Gen 1s with 33 x 10.5 with 15in -22 offset rims.

Anyone have a photo of 31x10.5s?

What do people think these are? I think they're 31 x 10.5. What offset and size rims would these be? They look similar to Triton rims but I don't think they are.

And are these 33x10.5?

Any advice or help is appreciated.
                      These look mint!!! Did we work out if they're 33's?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X