• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MatthewP
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2014
    • North of Brisbane

CC2005

I have spent a lot of time looking over lots of forums and trying to work out ways to disable the egr system or trick the ecu into thinking that everything is fine.

Most EGR systems are monitored by the Maf sensor.
    When the EGR valve opens and the throttle butterfly in the intake partially closes, there is a drop in the air flow through the sensor.
    The ECU has an expected range that the the maf flow should drop.

With an egr blanking plate, there is almost no drop in maf flow because there is no exhaust gas entering the intake manifold, so all of the air into the engine is still coming through the MAF sensor.

A circuit can be made up that wires into the MAF flow sensor and the egr position sensor that will lower the maf flow voltage when the egr position sensor shows that the egr is open.

Some cars use a Map sensor to monitor the egr.

When the egr valve open and the intake butterfly partially closes there is a slight drop in manifold pressure.
    That is if the Map sensor is positioned between the throttle butterfly and the engine.

With the EGR blanked off there is a no exhaust gas flowing into the intake manifold, so there is a larger drop in manifold pressure because the engine is trying to suck air past a partially closed throttle butterfly.

An answer for engines that use the Map sensor to monitor the egr is to drill a hole in the throttle butterfly.
    That will allow enough air past the partially closed intake butterfly so the manifold pressure doesn't drop low enough for the ecu to see a problem.

The Problem with drilling a hole in the throttle butterfly is that is also used to completely close and choke the engine on shutdown.
    This causes a smother shutdown but more importantly it will stop any engine run on, as rare as that may be.

The simple answer for most modern diesels is to stop the ecu activating the egr system at all.

This is done by finding the Intake Air Temp sensor wire in the MAF and cutting it and adding a resistor in line to lower the voltage the ecu sees.

The lower voltage makes the ecu think that the intake air temp is lower and below the point where it will activate the EGR system.

I would still Blank the egr off to be certain that there is no chance of exhaust entering the intake, but because the ecu does not activate the egr system there is no egr fault codes.

On my old Holden Rodeo with, an Isuzu commonrail engine in it, the temp the egr activated was at about 5 degrees C.
    A 4K resistor was enough to make the ecu think it was a maximum of 2 degrees all the time.

An easier way to do it is to wire in a potentiometer and then adjust it until it has enough resistance to lower the intake temp voltage until the egr system is disabled.

This is easy to do if you have the Torque app on your phone and a Bluetooth obd reader.
    You can monitor the commanded egr percentage and watch it drop to zero.

This has NO effect on engine tune because there is usually another intake air temp sensor in the MAP sensor.

This sensor is after the intercooler and is therefore the temp that the ecu uses for its fuel calcs.

EDIT:

After typing all of the above I realised that it looks like CC2005 already knows about the easy way to go about it and was just try to work out another way to do it just to keep his mind occupied.

Im glad its Friday because I clearly need a rest and maybe a beer or two.
    Last edited by MatthewP; 12-09-14, 06:49 PM.
    05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• CC2005
      • Sep 2011
      • Mornington Peninsula

Hi Matthew,

I appreciate the in-depth valued information you provided. Your information is a great read and actually gives me more understanding.

You are correct that I am aware of the other MAF resister modification and that I'm investigating another possible way of achieving the same result. I was just hoping to find out if there was another method that only had an effect on the valves operation, and the system thought everything else is operating as normal. We are aware that air intake sensor readings are used in other computations by the ECU, well as I believe it.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
      CC
      PB MY11 LS 4D56 - auto, with stuff.

Comment

• MatthewP
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • North of Brisbane

CC,

There is no point in creating a circuit to simulate the egr valve, which would leave the egr valve inactive and closed, blocking egr flow, because the the ecu will still throw an error code for insufficient egr flow because of how that is monitored.

It is better to leave the egr valve operating how it is and put in a blanking plate to stop egr flow and then create a circuit to fool either the MAF sensor or MAP sensor, which ever is monitoring for egr flow.

There is a circuit that has been used in the US on Chev pickups to modify the maf airflow voltage to fool the ecu when the egr is active, with an egr blank.

It is called a FingerStick, it is named after Fingers the guy who made it.

I cant be bothered finding the links for it all at the moment, but I will add a link to another forum where I have copied the circuit diagram and some pictures previously.

There is some good information about egr in that thread, but a lot of crap also, as a lot of ideas were thrown around trying to figure things out.

If the MAF is used to monitor the egr flow in Challengers, then someone who is electronically minded could calibrate the circuit to work for you guys.

If the MAP sensor is used to monitor egr flow, then the circuit would have to be wired in to the MAP pressure sensor wires instead of the Maf airflow wires and then be calibrated to suit the new purpose.
        I'm not sure if the circuit would have to simulate a drop or an increase in voltage for it to be used with the MAP sensor.

I was happy to go with the simple, 1 resistor wired into the air intake temp, so I didn't have to get my head around calibrating the circuit.

What other things do you think the Air Intake temp sensor in the MAF may be used for?

All I can think of is that if its showing a lower reading then the Glow plugs may stay on for longer.

Matt
        Last edited by MatthewP; 16-09-14, 07:42 PM.
        05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Matt, good to see someone else is researching this subject, my comments in blue.

cheers, old Jack.

Originally posted by MatthewP View Post
          CC,

There is no point in creating a circuit to simulate the egr valve, which would leave the egr valve inactive and closed, blocking egr flow, because the the ecu will still throw an error code for insufficient egr flow because of how that is monitored.
          I do not believe the Challenger measures actual EGR gas flow but does get a feedback to the ECU on the position of the EGR valve.

It is better to leave the egr valve operating how it is and put in a blanking plate to stop egr flow and then create a circuit to fool either the MAF sensor or MAP sensor, which ever is monitoring for egr flow.
          Maybe? I have not tried a blanking plate yet.

There is a circuit that has been used in the US on Chev pickups to modify the maf airflow voltage to fool the ecu when the egr is active, with an egr blank.
          The Challenger does not use the MAF but the No1 air temp probe and it is the resistance of this thermistor that is modified to prevent the EGR valve from openng.

It is called a FingerStick, it is named after Fingers the guy who made it.

I cant be bothered finding the links for it all at the moment, but I will add a link to another forum where I have copied the circuit diagram and some pictures previously.

I am not sure the "finger stick" would work in the PB's EGR electrical circuit.

There is some good information about egr in that thread, but a lot of crap also, as a lot of ideas were thrown around trying to figure things out.
          The common goal is that everyone is trying to eliminate exhaust gases from entering the intake, unfortunately every manufacturer does it slightly differently so there is no "one size fits all" solution.

If the MAF is used to monitor the egr flow in Challengers, then someone who is electronically minded could calibrate the circuit to work for you guys.
          As above, MAF is not used.

If the MAP sensor is used to monitor egr flow, then the circuit would have to be wired in to the MAP pressure sensor wires instead of the Maf airflow wires and then be calibrated to suit the new purpose.
          I'm not sure if the circuit would have to simulate a drop or an increase in voltage for it to be used with the MAP sensor.
          As above.

I was happy to go with the simple, 1 resistor wired into the air intake temp, so I didn't have to get my head around calibrating the circuit.
          I think the jury is still out on this one, SPV have released a Mk2 kit and I suspect within 12 months a Mk3 will be on the market.

What other things do you think the Air Intake temp sensor in the MAF may be used for?
          From my research nothing that I can find.

All I can think of is that if its showing a lower reading then the Glow plugs may stay on for longer.
          Glow plug control uses coolant temperature to dictate glow plug operation.

Matt
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NFT5
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Canberra

Originally posted by Old Jack
            Originally posted by MatthewP
            Maybe? I have not tried a blanking plate yet.
            Electrical control is superior because it doesn't create unexpected vacuum conditions in the intake.
            Chris

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
              Electrical control is superior because it doesn't create unexpected vacuum conditions in the intake.
              Hi Chris,

More info please, how does a blanked EGR create "unexpected vacuum conditions" compared to a electronically closed EGR valve?

cheers, old Jack.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Simple. When blanked the ECU tells the EGR to open and expects positive pressure from the exhaust gas flowing through but gets a negative pressure because the blank prevents the flow. With electronic control of the EGR it doesn't tell the EGR valve to open so gets the vacuum it expects.

In the earlier iterations this caused error codes and while these have been lessened with software updates from Mitsubishi, the ECU still has to cope with unexpected conditions.

Edit: Perhaps I should say that pressures are relative. Vacuum = less than expected.
                Chris

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

I may be mistaken, but I thought that MITS did an ECU update in the recent past that eliminated underboost codes when a blank was fitted. . . . .

I've been blanked since day 1 and have never had a code, but I'll probably go for Tony's kit to keep EGT's in check.
                  2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• fester
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                    I may be mistaken, but I thought that MITS did an ECU update in the recent past that eliminated underboost codes when a blank was fitted. . . . .

I've been blanked since day 1 and have never had a code, but I'll probably go for Tony's kit to keep EGT's in check.
                    What difference will the resistor mod make to EGT's?? Blanking the EGR or turning it off electronically are exactly the same thing aren't they, just blocking it off in a different spot along the plumbing. Please explain!!

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

Why could we have higher EGT's with a blank you ask ?

Well here's my take on it:

The throttle valve counter-modulates in sympathy with the EGR valve and the ECU fuels the engine in proportion to the total amount of air that is available. When the EGR is blanked the ECU will still fuel the engine on the expectation that air is available from the EGR source as well as fresh air via the throttle valve. Hence if there isn't any EGR getting through because of the blank, you'll have excess fuel and therefore increased EGT's.

In contrast, when the EGR valve is tricked into closing by meddling with the AIT sensor, the ECU is none the wiser and it fuels the engine on the correct belief that the EGR is closed (ie air is only sourced via the throttle valve). There's neither overfuelling nor increased EGT's in this situation.
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

Lucky I did ask. There appears to be merit in that thought. Didnt think that way as I never did the mechanical blank.

Comment

• greig
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • kanwal

The increased EGT's sound like a good explanation, but I'd like to see real world figures to back that claim up..

Anyone with an EGT gauge installed ??

Comment

• Giddyup
                            • Oct 2013
                            • Melbourne

Originally posted by greig View Post
                            The increased EGT's sound like a good explanation, but I'd like to see real world figures to back that claim up..

Anyone with an EGT gauge installed ??
                            +1

I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference. The ECU knows how much oxygen it is getting by using the MAF and calculates fueling accordingly. This amount of oxygen doesn't change if you add exhaust gas to the mix as it is oxygen depleted. So blanking the egr will reduce the volume of gas in the cylinder, but not the ratio of fuel to oxygen.

I thought that was why you get a little more power with the resistor mod. The throttle valve is 100% open all of the time, so more oxygen enters the engine, the ECU realises this through the MAF, so adds fuel to compensate, hence more power than when the engine is sucking in oxygen depleted exhaust gas. The ratio of oxygen to fuel remains constant though.

Would like some hard evidence either way.
                            MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• CC2005
                              • Sep 2011
                              • Mornington Peninsula

A slight deviation from the actual topic. In Thailand and in Indonesia they are all trying to find the best work around for the EGR gasses. We are not alone.

PB MY11 LS 4D56 - auto, with stuff.

Comment

• fester
                                Valued Member
                                • Feb 2013
                                • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
                                +1

I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference. The ECU knows how much oxygen it is getting by using the MAF and calculates fueling accordingly. This amount of oxygen doesn't change if you add exhaust gas to the mix as it is oxygen depleted. So blanking the egr will reduce the volume of gas in the cylinder, but not the ratio of fuel to oxygen.

I thought that was why you get a little more power with the resistor mod. The throttle valve is 100% open all of the time, so more oxygen enters the engine, the ECU realises this through the MAF, so adds fuel to compensate, hence more power than when the engine is sucking in oxygen depleted exhaust gas. The ratio of oxygen to fuel remains constant though.

Would like some hard evidence either way.
                                I thought the oxygen input was reduced as I thought the throttle valve was partially shut to reduce air inlet but the overall volume remained the same with the introduction of the EGR. That is how the temp is reduced as the burn is actually made less efficient.

The odd factor in all this theory is that the EGR is only introduced on light cruising throttle situations rather than high load situations. At lighter throttle openings and load exhaust temps are generally lower and normally only ram up with high load situations so the EGR is not reducing peak temps when needed most. Least that's my understanding.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X