• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerro
    • Jul 2011
    • Central Coast

Transfer Compatibility

G day,
    I have a bit of a problem, I purchased a second hand transfer case from a local wrecker. They informed me that it would be suitable for our NL 3.5 V6 Manual. But when I got it home I noticed there is no metal breather pipe located on top like our NL Transfer case and the Shifter hole's where you bolt the Transfer and Gear lever down via the plate's are smaller than my original transfer?
    The bolt hole's are not far enough apart on the new transfer. Make's me think it's a 3.0 Transfer they gave me NOT a 3.5.
    My question is has anyone else put a 3.0 transfer into a 3.5 or are they not compatible? I will be taking it back to the wrecker's tomorrow and asking as to why the shifter's don't bolt up!

Thank's in advance

Justin.
    285/75/16 Mickey Thomson MT/Z, Cranked Tough Dog Torsion Bar's,Retired rear sway bar,Alloy Side step's,Arb Deluxe Steel Winch Bar, 2 x Lightforce 240 Blitz,Oricom uhf.2.5" Sport's Exhaust.5% Black tinted window's,Opposite Lock Roof Rack,GQ Rear Coil's,Led Running Light's..
  • Barneymutt
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Regents Park. Qld

The 3.0 and the 3.5 are different transmissions so the T/C will be different.
    Also the auto and manuals are different as well.
    Take a pic of yours (if you can) and use it to compare and show the wreckers the differences.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

yeah the 3.5l case is much more beefier than the 3.ol one, take it back & get them to change it or get your money back.
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • Maitland, NSW

after around 94' they used slighty beefier levers which meant slightly enlarging the hole in the lever housing + changing the PCD of the lever mount bolt holes and the breathers were different, you can unbolt the eight bolts holding the shifter lever housing to the T/F case(the rectangular peice the levers bolt to) and use the lever housing off your old box so you can use your shifter levers, they are directly compatible.
        If your old box has the breather pipe assembly then it can be used no problems but you will have to most likely take the breather barb off yours and put it on as well.
        The 3.5 transfer uses a 40mmID seal on the front output and the 3ltr uses a 36mm, Measure the front output seal inner diameter. Another thing you can do is grab your front shaft and see if it fits in the front output of the new transfer, if it fits then it is as i suspect and just an older transfer box with the smaller shifter levers and housing which is exchangable of yours.

Edit: heres pics of the housing i am talking about(it's a 3ltr but same deal). http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=28553&page=4
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Jerro
          • Jul 2011
          • Central Coast

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
          after around 94' they used slighty beefier levers which meant slightly enlarging the hole in the lever housing + changing the PCD of the lever mount bolt holes and the breathers were different, you can unbolt the eight bolts holding the shifter lever housing to the T/F case(the rectangular peice the levers bolt to) and use the lever housing off your old box so you can use your shifter levers, they are directly compatible.
          If your old box has the breather pipe assembly then it can be used no problems but you will have to most likely take the breather barb off yours and put it on as well.
          The 3.5 transfer uses a 40mmID seal on the front output and the 3ltr uses a 36mm, Measure the front output seal inner diameter. Another thing you can do is grab your front shaft and see if it fits in the front output of the new transfer, if it fits then it is as i suspect and just an older transfer box with the smaller shifter levers and housing which is exchangable of yours.

Edit: heres pics of the housing i am talking about(it's a 3ltr but same deal). http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=28553&page=4
          Pauly your right on the money there. It is the wrong transfer case. They will NOT give my money back they said to leave the old transfer there and they will try and source another one.
          I am so annoyed I hope I haven't just thrown away $250
          The wrecker tried to give me a transfer case out of a NM Pajero! I don't think they have any idea .
          285/75/16 Mickey Thomson MT/Z, Cranked Tough Dog Torsion Bar's,Retired rear sway bar,Alloy Side step's,Arb Deluxe Steel Winch Bar, 2 x Lightforce 240 Blitz,Oricom uhf.2.5" Sport's Exhaust.5% Black tinted window's,Opposite Lock Roof Rack,GQ Rear Coil's,Led Running Light's..

Comment

• Jerro
            • Jul 2011
            • Central Coast

Ok an update,I have been refunded the money for the transfer case I purchased from wrecker's.
            I have sourced a NK 3.5 Manual transfer case would any of you knowledgable people know if this is going to be the correct transfer case to fit our 99 NL Manual 3.5 v6?
            Thank's .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X