• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pavloh
    • Aug 2010
    • Sydney

Roof Tent Anyone??

Hi,

After some opinions/advise from anyone here that has installed or is thinking of installing a roof tent to a PB Challenger. I know the standard rails need to come off, however there is a kit sold overseas by Windcheeter for this car with a heavy duty rack system capable of holding the roof tent. Only issue is the stock rails require the whole roof lining to be removed which pretty much sucks if you ask me. I am looking at purchasing the Hannibal roof tent and eventually running a drawer system/fridge combo in the rear. Really hoping someone has gone down this path already and can offer some advice. So far Rhino etc do not make a heavy duty rack for this vehicle.
  • averhamme
    • Mar 2010
    • Belgium

Dear Pavloh,

I have a Maggiollina tent. I kept the original roof racks and had no problems with that.
    I even had a extra box behind the tent and went off road in Iceland. No real problems.

The max weight mentioned in the leaflet of the car is a dynamic one. Eg: You may not drive around with a weight more than 100 kg. However there are, when sleeping, no accelerations/decelerations and no bumps. (yes it depends :-) )

good luck !

Averhamme.
    Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ...
    Some 480.000 km.

Comment

• pavloh
      • Aug 2010
      • Sydney

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. So guessing your from Iceland? Do the challengers come with standard roof rails there? Which roof rack system did you mount onto the standard rails if that was the case? Also would love to see some pictures if you any with the roof tent on??

Cheers

Comment

• pavloh
        • Aug 2010
        • Sydney

Just realised you are driving a Pajero. Hopefully someone here has done this with a
        Challenger.

Comment

• pusspuss
          • Jun 2010
          • ballarat

Hi
          I went thru the exercise 2 months ago. Local ARB and Opposite lock told me the roof would buckle under the load, TJM said it would be OK.
          All got to hard so I purchased Rhino heavy duty racks and basket and a Black Wolf Turbo tent
          2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

• pavloh
            • Aug 2010
            • Sydney

I just got off the phone with Hanibal Roof Tents, says they have fitted to Pajero's etc with the stock rails. My plan is to get a standard set of cross bars rhino/thule etc which can be removed easily, mount the tent onto them and remove the tent along with the racks when i am not using it. The PB roof load capacity as stated in the manual, along with what Mitsubishi Australia has told me is that the standard roof rails can hold 80kg dynamic weight which is moving on the highway etc. Stationary weight should be 3-4 times that capacity I have been told.

So I have been told it shouldnt be a problem to fit the tent to the roof using the standard roof rails. Hopefully someone here can confirm this

Did you need to remove the roof lining etc to get the Rhino Heavy Duty rack onto the car? I asked Rhino a few weeks back and they told me they didnt even have a heavy duty kit for the challenger...??

Comment

• pavloh
              • Aug 2010
              • Sydney

I am looking at these cross bars:

We make world class durable easy-to-use roof racks, luggage boxes, bike carriers, kayak carriers, ski carriers, load securing accessories and more

Weight rated at 80kg, same as the roof rails. 1.4m tent weighs in at 55kg so well under that. They also appear easy to remove so would be able to get the tent on/off quite easily with two people

Comment

• pusspuss
                • Jun 2010
                • ballarat

no i fitted the heavy duty rails to the std roof rails
                This can be seen on photos posted 13 / 8 /10 titled ARB SAHARA BAR ON PB
                2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

• pavloh
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Sydney

Have you got a part number. I can only see the sports bar package?

Comment

• Wrex
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Perth

My roof top tent is attached to some Rhino sports bars which are attached to the factory rails which are essentially the same be it a Pajero, challenger or outlander. Overtaking 2 roadtrains last weekend down a hill i was alot over the speed limit with no issues at all. Like you are planing i take the tent and cross bars off when not using them.

I have my bars adjusted so they stick out the passengers side by about 30cm more than the drivers so I can attach my ARB awning. works a treat.

If i was to do it again i would go down the Heavy duty cxb route.

My rails

We make world class durable easy-to-use roof racks, luggage boxes, bike carriers, kayak carriers, ski carriers, load securing accessories and more

Heavy duty ones

Comment

• pavloh
                      • Aug 2010
                      • Sydney

Thanks for the info making my decision much easier. I spoke to a shop that fits Rhino Racks, I am going to go the heavy duty option with 3 cross bars not 2 just for the extra peice of mind the load is being balanced better.

Rhino salesperson at the 4x4 show at Penrith 2 weeks back told me they didnt make a heavy duty bar for this car... I am too going to extend them on one side to fit the ARB awning and hopefully if it fits on the other side a shovel holder.

Have you taken the bars off yet with the roof tent attached? Was it a pain in the ass or not so bad?

Would love to see some pics with your roof tent fitted to the factory rails.

Do you find the rails have much movement with weight on there? I was worried at first as they seem very flimsy.

Cheers

Comment

• averhamme
                        • Mar 2010
                        • Belgium

Hi,

Here a picture of our car during its first voyage to Iceland.
                        Three custom rails supported the tent and a box. Allthough we were to much loaded at that time the roofrails supported the F-roads of the inner country without problem.

Hope this will help you.

Good luck !

Averhamme.
                        Attached Files
                        Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ...
                        Some 480.000 km.

Comment

• pavloh
                          • Aug 2010
                          • Sydney

What brand roof tents are you guys running on the challengers? I am thinking the 1.4m Hannibal Roof Tent, however am concerned it may look a bit odd as its a fair bit wider than the Challenger. Would like to know what sizes others are running on there Challengers.

Thanks

Comment

• Wrex
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Perth

Pavloh nearly all of the roof tents on the market are the same measurements. ARB, Ironman, Gordigear etc.

1400mm x 1200mm folded. When unfolded they go to 1400mm x 2400mm or if you get the extension models (where the ladder is under the actual tent) these are approx 3200mm long.

If you mount it so the tent folds out to the side of the car, it will be 1200mm wide facing the front. If you orientate it so the tent opens to the rear it will be 1400mm facing the front.

This is based on a standard roof top tent. Hanibal and a few other do supply wider tents if you need to go bigger. The 2400mm x 1400mm (unfolded) is a double size mattress.

I will post up some pics later in the week when i put my tent up again on the roof. Hope this helps.

Comment

• pavloh
                              • Aug 2010
                              • Sydney

Thanks for the info Wrex, so you also take the tent on/off the roof? That is my aim with this setup, how do you guys that do this find the process of taking it on/off the car?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X