• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Towbar and electronic brake controller for Pajero Sport

Hello,

I need to get a towbar fitted on a new Pajero Sport.

I don't like the look of the factory one, so was considering the Hayman Reece towbar, which looks mostly hidden underneath the car.

Anyone have the Hayman Reese tow bar and are you happy with it? How much did you get it for fitted?

How about electronic brake controller. I would like to the the RedArc TowPro Elite. Is it compatible and do you need the Mitsubishi electronic brake wiring harness?
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Got one quotation for Hayman Reese fitted $870 (incorrect. That price was for the companys own brand towbar. Hayman Reese was $1050)

Still need to shop around to see if can get a better price.

Not sure what wiring they include in this deal and what else I need to get done to have electric brake controller installed
    Last edited by jared01; 20-03-19, 02:24 PM.
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
      • Aug 2012
      • Brisbane, Southside

Talk to your Mitsubishi dealer, they fitted the Redarc tow pro to my PS before delivery and its a very neat installation. The control switch mounts in a spare switch space in the centre console and that’s all I see and very convenient to use.

I also got the factory tow bar for exactly the opposite reason that you don’t like it. The electrical connection,Anderson plug and safety chain are right there where you want them. I used to hate the old Pajero where I was down half under the car to connect everything up. Used to hate that, especially in the wet/dirty conditions.
      Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
      Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• dragonjon
        • Feb 2018
        • sunshinecoast

yes i have factory towbar with trailer plug a red and a white anderson + camera plug so makes it all easy to hook up
        and tow pro elite can highly recommend

Comment

• woffleon
          • Jul 2016
          • NSW

I have the Hayman Reece towbar fitted for bout 850 (2016). Its neat and tucked away and will not kneecap you when you forget its there and defiantly looks the best. Downside is it is a little bit harder to hook up chains and just sneaks in to the space between the spare wheel and rear bumper underneath. Larger size tyre would be a problem (diameter)

Towpro elite works works very well and is reasonably easy to fit for a cluey guy. $300 online auto electrician fit for 700 inc unit

Bluetooth controllers are out and about now but my feeling is that there for trailers with multiple tow vehicles .... rental companies (draw current from taillight circuit)

MM recalled the oem towbar when I was in the market and at 1150 (1500 now) was an easy decision to go HR.

Hope this helps your decision.
          Attached Files
          Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• jared01
            • Dec 2016
            • Sydney

Originally posted by woffleon View Post
            I have the Hayman Reece towbar fitted for bout 850 (2016). Its neat and tucked away and will not kneecap you when you forget its there and defiantly looks the best. Downside is it is a little bit harder to hook up chains and just sneaks in to the space between the spare wheel and rear bumper underneath. Larger size tyre would be a problem (diameter)

Towpro elite works works very well and is reasonably easy to fit for a cluey guy. $300 online auto electrician fit for 700 inc unit

Bluetooth controllers are out and about now but my feeling is that there for trailers with multiple tow vehicles .... rental companies (draw current from taillight circuit)

MM recalled the oem towbar when I was in the market and at 1150 (1500 now) was an easy decision to go HR.

Hope this helps your decision.
            Thanks for your post.

Did you have to install the mitsubishi factory wiring harness to then connect up the redarc towpro elite?

My car is getting the factory wiring harness installed, but I dont actually know if it is needed.... :-(

Is the receiver of the Hayman Reese totally square inside or are the corners slightly rounded?

Reason I ask is I got given an old Hayman Reese WDH and I had to get the edges of it rounded off to fit in the factory Pajero (not sport) towbar.

Wondering what experience I will have when I get the Hayman Reese towbar and then use the WDH. Hopefully the hitch is not too long either and goes in as far as it needs to into the receiver.

Any chance you could take a photo of the opening of the receiver, so I can see if it/how rounded it is?

Comment

• woffleon
              • Jul 2016
              • NSW

Hi Jared01
              Don't understand the grinding of edges to get it to fit either bar or receiver not standard or damaged.

I have 2 hitches 1 with a hitchmaster pin and a 50mm ball in a hitch bought from supercheap. Both fit perfectly. See pics of 50mm hitch

The Hayman Reece has a bolt that will lock it in place tightly. The OEM bar has a lock pin and clevis and a little locking bolt under neath to stop the rattle and in my view is a bit fiddly.

I didn't use the harness just fitted the towpro as per instructions. But I'm a very handy guy if you think your not up to it get it fitted with the bar by a pro. Its really important there a no issues with this gear and its fittment.

Hope this helps
              Attached Files
              Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• jared01
                • Dec 2016
                • Sydney

Hello Woffleon,

Thanks for taking the time to take photos of the hitch and receiver.

I will get it installed and then see if my WDH hitch fits straight in or not.

I have been reading the instructions for the Mitsubishi Electric Brake Wiring Harness (MZ350586).

It looks like a good harness to have and it connects from the battery, into a connector in the engine, runs into the passenger side kick panel when the connection from the front of the car to the rear of the car is also split to a connector that is routed and left somewhere behind the centre console/under the stereo where the blue, black, white and red wires from the electronic brake controller (redarc towpro elite v3, in my case) join to.

It then looks like no extra wiring needs to be run TO the TowPro (for power) and then FROM the TowPro towards the trailer plug, rather it is all wired in and uses existing wiring in the car where THEN the harness for the towbar wiring plugs into at the rear passenger side connects and happy days.

I just hope the towbar installation company knows that the connector from the battery to a 4 plug connector in the engine bay is already plugged in as well as some further connections in front passenger kick plate going towards the back of the car and THEN IO believe all they need to do is connect the supplied Hayman Reese wiring harness to the rear passenger side tool box space to finish the installation.

Does this sounds correct, anyone that has done it themselves?

Comment

• jared01
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

Hayman Reese towbar installed without any issues.

Looks good and there is still some clearance from the towbar and A/T standard size, spare tyre.

Next onto brake controller.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jared01; 20-03-19, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X