• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackjunior
    • Oct 2014
    • kadina s.a

where to stay and see snow in vic

hi we live in Kadina sa and we are looking for accommodation for 6 people in Victoria near the snow we are planning on holidaying mid august for around 4 nights we require accommodation that is self contained either a house cabin or unit this holiday will be on a budget thanks for your help
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by jackjunior View Post
    hi we live in Kadina sa and we are looking for accommodation for 6 people in Victoria near the snow we are planning on holidaying mid august for around 4 nights we require accommodation that is self contained either a house cabin or unit this holiday will be on a budget thanks for your help

Unfortunately, usually snow season and budget don't go together.
    I know you said Vic, but a couple years ago a group of us stayed in some basic cabins half way up Kosciusko with shared facilities as in similar set up to caravan park which worked out pretty cheap.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• my.paj
      • Dec 2010
      • Tullamarine

Originally posted by jackjunior View Post
      I hope to be at Bright around the 5th Aug and should get something for around $150, if the snow is good you can just head up Mt Buffalo for snow play or toboggans or a bit further to mt Hotham for skiing.
      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Remeber that on most places in VIctoria (and NSW as well), you will have to pay entrance fees to the National Parks. Not cheap.

I would ercommend Bright - it is a beautiful place and you have the option of Hotham or Mt Buffalo. If you only want snowplay, you may consider the NSW snowfields. Again, entry fees are horrendous - $28 per day I think. However, the Snowy Mtns Hwy from Kiandra to Tumut has a fairly extensive reach of snow, and it is a public road, so you shoudl not be charged for using the snow.

Another issue to remember is snow chains. In Victoria, I think that ALL vehicles must carry a set of snow chains which fit the vehicle. In NSW, it is only 2WD vehicles - 4WD and AWD vehicles are exempts from this rule. Personally, I think it is stupid because a 4WD with locked wheels is as unstable as a 2WD, but them's the rules. Not sure, but as far as I know, snow chains are advisable but not compulsory on the Snowy Mountains Highway. They certainly are on the Alpine Way and the Kosciuszko Road in NSW. You can hire snow chains at most places close to the snow, and if you are passing through, often you can arrange to drop them off at the other end.

A lot of this advice depends on when you visit. The approach roads to the snowfields will probably be dry anyway, unless you are lucky enough to get a good drop of snow the day before you come. Checlk with the local visitor's Centres (Bright Vic, Cooma NSW - 1800 636 525). If you are lucky, you can get snow at Mt Donna Buang near Melbourne or a host of other areas around there.

Comment

• jackjunior
          • Oct 2014
          • kadina s.a

thanks for all the info not cheap going to the snow .. I am on dsp pension so on a budget if I had a job live would be better I am volunteering to go back to work truck driving but not much luck jet .but the family would like to see and play in the snow there is no snow in sa so we are looking for the nearest deep snow from Kadina sa don't care where it is and we are willing to stay in cheap /budget accommodation for 6 .. 50/80 km from snow cheers jack

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Wait for it to snow at Mt Macedon and then stay in a local motel? Lot cheaper than getting ripped off on the official snowfields.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

The big resorts are generally expensive but you could try Lake Mountain just out of Marysville. That's a good option for snow play for the kids. Staying at Marysville or Healesville would be a good option. You could also try Mt Baw Baw and stay at Traralgon. That's not far from Gumbya Park which would be a place the kids could enjoy.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X