Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 24-03-20
Valued Member

Maybe not quite so cut and dried, surely a clutch in a manual CAN do a (albeit much poorer) job of multiplying torque when slipping?
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 24-03-20
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
Maybe not quite so cut and dried, surely a clutch in a manual CAN do a (albeit much poorer) job of multiplying torque when slipping?
Yes, that's right, a worn out clutch that slips under load is sending more torque to the wheels.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 24-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Yes, that's right, a worn out clutch that slips under load is sending more torque to the wheels.
Not just a worn out one but one being deliberately slipped too
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 24-03-20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I am struggling to see how a slipping mechanical friction clutch can multiply torque output to the gear box.
Yes the engine rpm will increase for a given vehicle speed but the ability for the clutch to transfer drive from the crankshaft to the gearbox is greatly diminished. Having driven a manual 4wd with a leaky rear crankshaft seal that coated the clutch in engine oil, during a Kimberley trip, I can assure you that the vehicle struggled to take off or accelerate in any gear.

A torque converter is a hydraulic coupling between the engine and gearbox with reduction gear box and clutch functions, it achieves this by the clever use and control of hydraulic pressure.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 25-03-20

The only time that I could think it would generate more force would be if it suddenly gripped after slipping. But this would be more of a shock through the system. Sort of like a quick "blip" on the clutch to build quick revs and dump it. I have done it on a dirt bike up hills, but all i can see it really doing in a car/4wd scenario is prematurely wearing out the clutch and doing driveline damage.
But I am also not ashamed to admit most of the knowledge of torque convertors in this thread is beyond me and I am hear for the learning. So I could be well and truly wrong in my observation.

Cheers
Ben
2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers
Old 25-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I am struggling to see how a slipping mechanical friction clutch can multiply torque output to the gear box.
.......OJ.
OJ, surely this was sarcasm, was it not NJ?

M
Old 25-03-20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy55 View Post

M
No sarcasm from me.
A mechanical friction clutch is designed to transmit up to 100% of the engine power and torque from the engine crankshaft to the gearbox input shaft. The amount of energy transfer is limited by the clamping force of the pressure plate and the coefficient of friction of the clutch plate friction material. The clutch is used to disengage the engine from the gearbox to enable smooth gear changes. All a slipping clutch can do is to reduce the load off the engine so it does not stall when the external forces of moving the vehicle are greater than the engine torque.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Last edited by old Jack; 25-03-20 at 08:51 AM.
Old 25-03-20
Resident

Quote:

M
Sarcasm? Me?

Never!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 26-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
No sarcasm from me.
A mechanical friction clutch is designed to transmit up to 100% of the engine power and torque from the engine crankshaft to the gearbox input shaft. The amount of energy transfer is limited by the clamping force of the pressure plate and the coefficient of friction of the clutch plate friction material. The clutch is used to disengage the engine from the gearbox to enable smooth gear changes. All a slipping clutch can do is to reduce the load off the engine so it does not stall when the external forces of moving the vehicle are greater than the engine torque.

OJ.
Not from you, OJ, from NJ! Sorry if I offended you. Obviously more care needed in written word when you can't hear my intonation or see my smile.
Old 26-03-20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not from you, OJ, from NJ! Sorry if I offended you. Obviously more care needed in written word when you can't hear my intonation or see my smile.
No offence taken Mundy. Obviously my sarcasm radar is not finely tuned or was not on at the time, as I did not interrupt NJswb's post as sarcastic, I interrupted it as incorrect information and responded to correct the information on the thread.

We all make mistakes or even have the incorrect understanding of things we think we know only later to discover we were wrong.
There is no shame in being wrong if you admit it and not hide it.
We all continue learn if we have an open mind and question what we think, are told or read.

OJ.