Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 24-03-20
Valued Member

Default DC to DC and solar

Hello,
I have fitted a DC to DC fire alternator charging, yet to fit up for solar.

A solar question. When a solar panel is connected, does it charge the main battery first, then the aux battery?

It's a Projecta 25 amp.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 24-03-20

You will need to read manual. With most dc to dc the main purpose is for the solar to meet any demand on the battery first, then charge the battery and once it meets the required level then it will charge main battery.
The main purpose of the dc to dc charger is to charge the battery to which is connected to charge. Solar is another source to allow this, with the added bonus that it will charge the main if all other functions have been met.
Old 24-03-20
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

The Projecta and all dc/dc chargers I am familiar with that have solar input will only charge the aux battery.

If you want to charge the starter, you will have to connect a regulated panel to that directly.

And if you only want to charge the starter, you will need to disconnect the idc from the starter.

Happy to be corrected on that.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 24-03-20

Ok, so I have been informed the dcc pro from intervolt will back feed solar to a main battery if the main battery is fully charged (>12.8v). Which is sort of useless anyway I would think??

There may be others I do not know about.

My IDC and Redarc will not backfeed solar to the main battery. They will only feed the aux battery.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 25-03-20
Valued Member

CTEK will definitely backfeed the solar input to the starter once the auxiliary has been fully charged.
Old 25-03-20
Valued Member

Thanks for the responses. Might just connect to the main. The paj won't be getting used for a while so a good time to do it.
Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 25-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
Ok, so I have been informed the dcc pro from intervolt will back feed solar to a main battery if the main battery is fully charged (>12.8v). Which is sort of useless anyway I would think??

There may be others I do not know about.

My IDC and Redarc will not backfeed solar to the main battery. They will only feed the aux battery.
I have had an Intervolt dcc for several years and as far as I am aware and experienced, it does not charge the main battery but only the auxilliary when using solar. A great unit for a number of reasons but a limitation on solar input is it caps the charging voltage to 13.2V which greatly decreases solar panel effectiveness, notwithstanding it being an MPPT controller.

From where did you get that info, Sharkcaver? I think I'll have to go and read the manual again.
Old 25-03-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy55 View Post
From where did you get that info, Sharkcaver? I think I'll have to go and read the manual again.
A forum member emailed me with a screen clip just after I posted. It appears to be from their manual. I just downloaded the manual from their site and its pretty basic in regards to solar, noting this is revision 2. The manual I was sent was probably the original manual. see scenario 2 in the attached clip:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcc pro.jpg (130.3 KB, 19 views)

NX build

My Journeys
Old 26-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
A forum member emailed me with a screen clip just after I posted. It appears to be from their manual. I just downloaded the manual from their site and its pretty basic in regards to solar, noting this is revision 2. The manual I was sent was probably the original manual. see scenario 2 in the attached clip:
Thanks, Sharkcaver. Having re-read my manual, what your friend did not indicate was that the info he provided was for 'voltage sense mode' in which the operation of the DCC-Pro is determined by the voltage of the main battery. However, the other mode available is 'ignition control mode' where the operation of the DCC-Pro is controlled by whether the ignition switch is on or off. This is the mode I have always used. In this mode, if the ignition switch is off, the main battery is isolated and the solar only charges the auxilliary. See scenario 3 in the attached. I had forgotten the about the first mode as I've never used it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DCCPro vsm op.pdf (785.1 KB, 6 views)