Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 03-03-20

From what I can tell from the internet most suggest rotating them every 5-10,000 kms. Good to hear they are not loud in their current form, that's got me thinking it must be some funky tyre wear on my rears. Naturally they will carry a bit more noise than your usual stock tyres which is to be expected

I am running around 36-38psi, and inflated the rears to 45psi to see if it reduced the noise (it didn't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjas View Post
You're all making me nervous, I have just put K02s on my NW and while they are not silent, especially at 60-80km, it's definitely not a obtrusive noise and at 100 they are quiet enough that I doubt the decibel meter would even pick them up over typical wind and engine noise. I'll be rotating them every 5000km but if they ever get that noisy I don't thing my other half will put up with them.

OP, what tyre pressures are you running out of interest?
Old 15-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paj11 View Post
I have done about 3k on Pirelli Scorpions, comfortable, quiet and about 1.5 to 2 litres per 100km saving on fuel, luv them.
Checked these out and they appear to be much cheaper than the KO2s I was considering. However, they are only 110 load rated, which is a little lower than I'd wanted. Also, reviews were mixed on wear.

Mickey Thompson don't make an ATZ P3 in 265/60R18. So its coming down to the KO2s again or Cooper AT3LTs. OJ, you appear to put a lot of stock in tread depth for wear considerations but my KO2s have only 11.9mm tread depth but I've done over 100k with 5 tyres so it comes down to compound as well. Does anyone have any comments on wear and noise with the AT3LTs?
Old 15-03-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy55 View Post
Checked these out and they appear to be much cheaper than the KO2s I was considering. However, they are only 110 load rated, which is a little lower than I'd wanted. Also, reviews were mixed on wear.

Mickey Thompson don't make an ATZ P3 in 265/60R18. So its coming down to the KO2s again or Cooper AT3LTs. OJ, you appear to put a lot of stock in tread depth for wear considerations but my KO2s have only 11.9mm tread depth but I've done over 100k with 5 tyres so it comes down to compound as well. Does anyone have any comments on wear and noise with the AT3LTs?
In your size not LT rated, unless you go up 2 profiles,, I have the 17s which is 121 rated LT.
2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Last edited by Paj11; 15-03-20 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Info
Old 15-03-20
Super Moderator

Quote:

You will find a tyre that has a 110 load index is a passenger construction so it will have a shallower tread depth and rounder shoulders than a light truck construction of the same tread pattern.

If you were considering a heavy duty agressive AT/MT like the ATZ P3 then the Vooper ST Maxx is just as strong a tyre's but s slightly less aggressive tread pattern and better stone ejectors. Note both these tyre are very heavy duty and they require rotation every 5,000 to 7,500km to keep them "quiet". Expect fuel consumption to increase.

Correct, tread depth is only one indicator of potential tyre life, tyre compound, speeds travelled, roads travelled, loads carried, tyre pressures, wheel alignment, tyre balance, tyre rotation and driver aggression all have an impact on tyre life.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 16-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:

Iíve run both the BFG KO2s & Cooper AT3LTs back to back (265/65/17) - initially the BFGs then the Coopers.

The BFGs have a more aggressive tread & better off-road grip but the Coopers are much quieter (even my wife noticed & commented after they were fitted, which is unusual!) and have better on road grip. If I remember correctly, both are LT and have the same load rating. So far , both seem to be wearing similarly.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')