Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc

Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc Discussion on pro's and con's of other makes and models.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
1533rl 1533rl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: armadale wa
Posts: 223
Default Go Your Own Way

Looking forward to P3, and might ask for the the inlet track file too after I've checked out the vid !
We scoped out Mandalay Beach, on foot, and looked at the new place down at Banksia. Very swish so no wonder it is popular. You may have just started the tourist rush ! We did not stay the night, in too much of a rush to get to Quinningup for a meal at the new pub. Seems how we look to end every trip now - good habit though.
Cheers
Peter
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Morville Morville is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Buxton Vic
Posts: 812
Default

Hi Shane,
We still follow your exploits with great interest since we did the CSR together. It is probably time that your Paj got a bit of an easier life and you have a great new vehicle in the D-Max.
However you may or may not be aware that some MY14 to MY16 D-Max's have had a problem with the rear axle cracking just outside the spring mounting pad.
My brother has a MY16 dual cab and just recently discovered oil caked dirt on the rear axle at that location. He still has OEM suspension and has done some outback tracks like GRR and Oodnadatta Track but nothing very severe. His dealer replaced the rear axle under warranty.
My brother is aware of several other D-Max's that have had the same problem including 2 separate cases last year where the axle has broken completely on the CSR (google DMax rear axle failure). Both are shown there in the 4X4Earth forum.
In the photos of both CSR cases there is oil stained and caked dirt in the area of the failure which means that it had been cracked for some time. The dude that says "I did not see it coming" obviously had not been checking his vehicle regularly.
Apparently from MY17 onwards D-Max's have modified heavier rear axles.
To Shane and others with D-Max's, it may pay to regularly check your rear axle particularly when traveling off-road.
Cheers
Peter (Harry)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
sharkcaver's Avatar
sharkcaver sharkcaver is offline
"2000"+ Valued Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,146
Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1533rl View Post
Looking forward to P3, and might ask for the the inlet track file too after I've checked out the vid !
We scoped out Mandalay Beach, on foot, and looked at the new place down at Banksia. Very swish so no wonder it is popular. You may have just started the tourist rush ! We did not stay the night, in too much of a rush to get to Quinningup for a meal at the new pub. Seems how we look to end every trip now - good habit though.
Cheers
Peter
A pub meal...nice one. It almost beats hoisin chicken vietnamese salad
when I get to it (i've been a bit slack) I will download the track data and shoot you an email. You will want the log once you see the inlet.
I was quite surprised the camp was almost full, mid week, outside of school holidays, in some average weather.

Quote:
Hi Shane,
We still follow your exploits with great interest since we did the CSR together. It is probably time that your Paj got a bit of an easier life and you have a great new vehicle in the D-Max.
However you may or may not be aware that some MY14 to MY16 D-Max's have had a problem with the rear axle cracking just outside the spring mounting pad.
My brother has a MY16 dual cab and just recently discovered oil caked dirt on the rear axle at that location. He still has OEM suspension and has done some outback tracks like GRR and Oodnadatta Track but nothing very severe. His dealer replaced the rear axle under warranty.
My brother is aware of several other D-Max's that have had the same problem including 2 separate cases last year where the axle has broken completely on the CSR (google DMax rear axle failure). Both are shown there in the 4X4Earth forum.
In the photos of both CSR cases there is oil stained and caked dirt in the area of the failure which means that it had been cracked for some time. The dude that says "I did not see it coming" obviously had not been checking his vehicle regularly.
Apparently from MY17 onwards D-Max's have modified heavier rear axles.
To Shane and others with D-Max's, it may pay to regularly check your rear axle particularly when traveling off-road.
Cheers
Peter (Harry)
Haha thanks Harry - I forgot about that one
That CSR trip is still one of my most memorable, and not for the bailout with the Paj. Some mad farmer with a chainsaw is burnt into my brain....

Yes, I am aware of 2 axle failures to date. Now I can make that 3. IIRC, I put some pics up on 4x4 earth in that thread. A bit concerning and I went into the D-max purchase aware of this issue. I reckon if anyone can make it rear it's ugly head, I will - but I hope not.
Just imagine being 500Km deep into the desert and you spot oil leakage at that spot.....alarming indeed.

Funny though, there has been bugger all mention of it on some d-max specific fourms. So while I acknowledge it is a risk, I still think it's a small risk atm.....like corona, it's a fluid situation. Watch this space.

You you are both well and not out of toilet paper.
__________________
Gone to a new home ...MY04 NP GLS Man Di-D, Look after her..


MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build


My Journeys
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Morville Morville is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Buxton Vic
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
Haha thanks Harry - I forgot about that one
That CSR trip is still one of my most memorable, and not for the bailout with the Paj. Some mad farmer with a chainsaw is burnt into my brain....

Yes, I am aware of 2 axle failures to date. Now I can make that 3. IIRC, I put some pics up on 4x4 earth in that thread. A bit concerning and I went into the D-max purchase aware of this issue. I reckon if anyone can make it rear it's ugly head, I will - but I hope not.
Just imagine being 500Km deep into the desert and you spot oil leakage at that spot.....alarming indeed.

Funny though, there has been bugger all mention of it on some d-max specific fourms. So while I acknowledge it is a risk, I still think it's a small risk atm.....like corona, it's a fluid situation. Watch this space.

You you are both well and not out of toilet paper.
HAHa indeed, we have an electric chainsaw now so don't have to go so far from camp to cut wood.
We are both well thanks, not much outback since CSR, we have had a few extensive overseas trips to visit rellies in Canada, Holland, UK etc. not this year (thank Christ).
Mate, we live in the bush, no need for toilet paper there are plenty of gumleaves.
Peter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.