• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy_q
    • Jun 2014
    • Sydney

Adventure kings Solar Panels

I received my adventure kings solar panel from 4wdsupercentre. I neglected to take any photo's of the panels itself. I'm reasonably happy with the build quality. There is just a single leg on the outside edge of each panel which I was a bit worried about before getting them. They are reasonably sturdy and it would take a child falling against the middle of the panel to push it in. An extra leg in the center or some way to prevent the hinges taking all the load would be an improvement.

I tested by connecting the power cables to the car battery with the headlights on low beam to provide a load. The headlights were drawing a 12 amp current measured with my clamp meter and the solar was able to put out over 9 Amps at 12.3Volts in less than ideal conditions measured by the watt meter. There was a lot of thin high cloud as you can see below.

The panel voltage was 18 Volts so slightly higher battery terminal voltage whilst charging should not reduce current too much.

I'm happy with this performance but will do a cpouple more tests to see if I can achieve the claimed 11 Amps.

let me know if there is anything specific you would like to see and Ill take photo's or measurements next time I have them out.

Cheers

Andy
    Attached Files
  • justcruizin
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Brisbane

Andy,

How many watts are your panels???
    08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
      • Dec 2015
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by justcruizin View Post
      Andy,

How many watts are your panels???
      I'm guessing 160w, but the 4WDSC web says they are max 8.75 amps.

That seems low for 160w though, my 150w puts out 9 amps in full sun, my 100w 6 amps

Maybe that brand does have a 200w panel, but a quick search couldn't find anything other than the 160w/

I am not a client of 4WDSC btw. just thought I'd mention that (once bitten . . .).

Nowhere to go, all day to get there . . .

Comment

• RUGGA
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Les PK Ranger View Post

That seems low for 160w though, my 150w puts out 9 amps in full sun, my 100w 6 amps
        Yes Les, but horses for courses, IIRK you have the Ridge Rider solar blanket? Which is lighter and manageable but a bit more than the $195 from the 4wdsc (on special)

When I find the RR 150w on special for $300ish I will buy it. Aren't they normally around the $480 mark
        02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
          • Dec 2015
          • Adelaide

Yep, the Ridge Ryder folding type, very compact and easy to use.

I found the newer 150w on special the other month, was $379, normally $499 (so almost 25% off).
          Grabbed one anyway, so can now put out 250w to keep me going pretty much base camping with the basic lighting and fridge.
          It's pretty much another folding row of solar sections, and 50% more output as you'd expect.

I think 20% off is fairly common through the year for Supercheap sales, so around $399 with discount if that is low enough for you for the 150w.

The 100w is normally $399, with the often 20% off sales it is $319.20, so not too bad.

I guess it's a no brainer that for wattage value, the 150w is the better buy if you only wanted one of them.

Keep an eye on the website for deals . . .
          100w
          150w

Nowhere to go, all day to get there . . .

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

If you're concerned about numbers quoted for the panel output, remember to calculate at the panel and not after a regulator (where fitted).

For the example quoted below (8.75A for 160W), use the maximum power point voltage of (say) 18V and we get 8.75A x 18V = 157.5 W.
            Close enough to 160W.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X