• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicdamo
    • Mar 2019
    • Sunshine Coast

Low fuel issue

NW 2014 DIESEL - Having troubles with vehicle completely cutting out if fuel range drops below 100km range. Presently guage is showing 1/4 tank with range of 170kms.
    I do live in a hill and realise there may be a bit of variance - but shouldn’t a warning light illuminate or low fuel indicator. As far as I can see there is no low fuel light. Once I’ve primed the fuel pump manually all seems to be ok.
    Anyone has similar/same issues? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nicdamo; 10-03-20, 12:23 PM.
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

The warning light should light up when the ecu determines 100km range or less. Or it can also turn on when you are on a steep incline but even then you would need to be close to the calculated range.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seigried; 10-03-20, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Woollybutt
      • Apr 2017
      • Katherine NT

Originally posted by nicdamo View Post
      NW 2014 DIESEL - Having troubles with vehicle completely cutting out if fuel range drops below 100km range. Presently guage is showing 1/4 tank with range of 170kms.
      I do live in a hill and realise there may be a bit of variance - but shouldn’t a warning light illuminate or low fuel indicator. As far as I can see there is no low fuel light. Once I’ve primed the fuel pump manually all seems to be ok.
      Anyone has similar/same issues? Thanks in advance.
      Have a read of this post, sounds like you’ve got a blocked in tank fuel filter.

2013 NW VRX...some things have been added

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Most likely a blocked in-tank filter, but it could also be a very slight air leak around the filter. The filter is mounted higher than the fuel tank and there is no lift pump to feed it. If you have a slight air leak, this could cause you to run out of fuel to the fuel pump and the engine stops. First things first, check the in-tank filter and if that is OK, the above may be your problem.

Comment

• Scooby
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Ipswich, Qld.

Also check that the fuel gauge is still accurate. When it gets to 100kms to go fill it up to see how much it takes. From memory fuel tank capacity is 85 litres, but check manual.
          You should only have to add about 75litres to fill from there.
          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 260k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 375k.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Also examine your fuel tank to ensure that there is no whopping big dent in it, thereby reducing teh amount of fuel left at lower tank levels.

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

How far have you gone when gauge shows 1/4 full?

You should get well over 800km to a tank so any more than that it's getting pretty low (The tank should be 88 litres)

If it really is at 1/4 tank you should have done about 600km or so.
              2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• deekay
                • Oct 2009
                • Perth WA

Fuel tank capacity is 88 litres

Comment

• doctorchopper
                  • Jan 2018
                  • dublin

Same thing happened to my 2005, filter on the pickup inside the tank was plugged with gunk

Comment

• christopher
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Chidlow W.A.

Originally posted by doctorchopper View Post
                    Same thing happened to my 2005, filter on the pickup inside the tank was plugged with gunk
                    Totally agree, just changed mine last week
                    2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

• Poita
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Adelaide

I had a very similar issue. Sitting at the shops waiting for the wife to come out with the car running (NW diesel). Fuel gauge showing just under 1/4, 637kms travelled since last full up, and it stalled. No fuel light. Put in 75 litres and it was full. So that about 11.7ltr/100km which is about normal for my city driving.

Now I would expect a fuel light to appear before it stalled, and to be able to get more than that as I have filled up with more than 75ltrs before.

So kms are about right for a tank, but gauge seems way off...

Trip computer was showing 90km left in the tank.

Any ideas?
                      NW VRX MY2013
                      Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Poita View Post
                        I had a very similar issue. Sitting at the shops waiting for the wife to come out with the car running (NW diesel). Fuel gauge showing just under 1/4, 637kms travelled since last full up, and it stalled. No fuel light. Put in 75 litres and it was full. So that about 11.7ltr/100km which is about normal for my city driving.

Now I would expect a fuel light to appear before it stalled, and to be able to get more than that as I have filled up with more than 75ltrs before.

Any ideas?
                        I have the opposite to your problem. When I fill the tank, it goes up to 200 km before the gauge starts to move. By 600 km, the gauge is normally about half, by 850, it is a quarter and then it crashes in the last 150 km. Scares hell out of me, but I now know what is normal and drive accordingly and normally don't let it get that low.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Poita View Post

Any ideas?
                          The engine driven diesel pump has excess capacity even at idle rpm so most of the fuel that is passing through the pump is not used and is returned to the tank, this fuel has heated up during pumping process, the high pressures result in the fuel becoming very very hot. The hot fuel returning to the tank is normally cooled by dilution when mixed with the remaining fuel in the fuel tank. However when fuel tank levels are low the fuel in the tank gradually gets hotter and hotter as it is cycled over and over again.

There is a fuel temperature sensor that the engine ECU uses to change the injector timing and durations, this is to protect the injectors, the result of this is decreased engine output. I am not fully up to speed with the idle control system but I suspect fuel temperature is one of the inputs so if this sensor was playing up it may cause the idle fuel input to be insufficient to maintain a smooth idle.

Does the Sam happen when the AC is switched ON ?

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Poita
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            The engine driven diesel pump has excess capacity even at idle rpm so most of the fuel that is passing through the pump is not used and is returned to the tank, this fuel has heated up during pumping process, the high pressures result in the fuel becoming very very hot. The hot fuel returning to the tank is normally cooled by dilution when mixed with the remaining fuel in the fuel tank. However when fuel tank levels are low the fuel in the tank gradually gets hotter and hotter as it is cycled over and over again.

There is a fuel temperature sensor that the engine ECU uses to change the injector timing and durations, this is to protect the injectors, the result of this is decreased engine output. I am not fully up to speed with the idle control system but I suspect fuel temperature is one of the inputs so if this sensor was playing up it may cause the idle fuel input to be insufficient to maintain a smooth idle.

Does the Sam happen when the AC is switched ON ?

OJ.
                            Don't know the AC is always on!
                            This wouldn't explain why the fuel gauge is incredibly optimistic though?
                            Going to check for a dent in the tank as soon as I get the time to crawl under it. For now we are filling up at 400km to ensure we are no where near empty.
                            NW VRX MY2013
                            Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X