• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pauld
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Melbourne

Redarc & AGM

Considering a Redarc BCDC1240 to charge 2 AGM batteries in the 3rd row seat well. Anyone used the product, comments, thoughts...

Mounting 2 x 100 AGM batteries in the 3rd row seat well - strong enough?
    2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
  • marquis
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Newcastle

Got BCDC1240 in camper and BCDC1220 under the bonnet.
    Good units - but they get hot so ventilation is required otherwise they will derate. Maybe bolt it onto the side of the well with heat transfer compound.

The BCDC1240 can pull upto 55A input so 6B&S minimum wiring size (4B&S if possible).
    The BCDC1220 draws about 25A input so 8B&S minimum wire size (6B&S if possible)

I use maxifuses for input and output of both units:
    6B&S Maxi Fuse Holder - BCDC1240
    8B&S Maxi Fuse Holder - BCDC1220
    Maxi Fuses are cheap from overseas... you will need 60A, 50A for BCDC1240 and 2x30A units for BCDC1220

100Ah AGM's are about 30kg each + mounting so shouldn't be a problem in the 3rd seat well.
    Last edited by marquis; 13-05-12, 10:19 PM.
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• pauld
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2010
      • Melbourne

Thanks Marquis, I was wondering about the heat factor, no fan by the look of their website?

Thanks for the links on the Maxi fuse holders.
      2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

Put the charger up near the batteries. Minimises the voltage difference along the cable run.
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• pauld
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2010
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by psproule View Post
          Put the charger up near the batteries. Minimises the voltage difference along the cable run.
          Yep, that was the plan - I wasn't clear in my 1st post.

Was a bit concerned about it generating heat that couldn't escape in the 3rd row seat well. Have a carpet like mat over the cargo area (for the dog) which blocks the small holes that are there on either side.

I shot off an email to Redarc last night, response:
          The BCDC1240 should be OK mounted where you have described. It can operate it full capacity up to 55C ambient temperature and, as you have worked out, does not have an internal fan. As long as there is a few cm of air space around it it should be OK. For extra heatsinking in under bonnet installations, it helps if you can mount it on a metal surface, but for an in-cab installation like yours, it should not be a big problem.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X