• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Burnt oil on exhaust - how to clean?

I had an oil leak, it’s ended up leaking onto a section of my exhaust and it’s burnt on there.

Leak fixed, yet I still get smoke from this section and the burnt oil smell.

What’s the best way to clean this crud off???

Pipes are Wildcat, which I presume is mild steel.
    Certainly not ceramic or stainless or chrome!
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
    I had an oil leak, it’s ended up leaking onto a section of my exhaust and it’s burnt on there.

Leak fixed, yet I still get smoke from this section and the burnt oil smell.

What’s the best way to clean this crud off???

Pipes are Wildcat, which I presume is mild steel.
    Certainly not ceramic or stainless or chrome!
    Go for a long drive so it all burns off??

That’s what I’d do
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Yep it won’t last long on a hot exhaust. I mean if you really want to get it off then there is degreaser but that’s just swapping one bad smell for another.
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Wire wheel brush on a drill may get most off........then a long drive getting it real hot.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

Not doing a lot of driving at the moment so driving to burn it off isn’t the best/quickest option right now. I’d like it gone sooner rather than later just to keep track of the leak fix. Originally the burnt oil smell was what I noticed at the beginning; and until this patch is cleaned off I’ll still be getting the smell.

I’ll try more degreaser and maybe the wire brush, see if I can get the majority off that way.

This is the patch I’m trying to clean:
          Attached Files
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
            Not doing a lot of driving at the moment so driving to burn it off isn’t the best/quickest option right now. I’d like it gone sooner rather than later just to keep track of the leak fix. Originally the burnt oil smell was what I noticed at the beginning; and until this patch is cleaned off I’ll still be getting the smell.

I’ll try more degreaser and maybe the wire brush, see if I can get the majority off that way.

This is the patch I’m trying to clean:
            If you can get that off with degreaser in an 1 - 1&1/2 hours I’ll be surprised! Personally, I’d spend that same time going for a drive!

Looks like the majority is burned on (like seasoning cast iron cook wear). Maybe some sort of mechanical method (sandpaper, wire wheel with a drill or grinder?).
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Alex86
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Here and there

Soaked a rag in some degreaser and wrapped it around that section for about 20 mins whilst I had my morning coffee, then got to it with a wire wheel on a cordless drill and some sandpaper where I couldn’t get the wire wheel- that took about 10 mins.

Idled it up to operating temperature and left it idling for another 5 mins or so (another coffee).

So far, no smoke and just burning off the degreaser smell. I’ll take it for a drive to the shops and around the block a couple times to get some extra exhaust heat from high revs into it.

Wildcat had a tack-welded a little brand/model plate onto that section (other side of the pipe, bottom edge of it just visible in the pic).
              This plate always annoyed me because it caught a bit of oil splashing out from the sump drain.
              Interestingly I’ve been chasing, for quite some time, a little metallic rattle at certain rev ranges. Turns out one of the tack welds has broken. I’d looked at it previously but it seemed fine then.
              I’ve now removed the plate.
              1) no more oil getting caught behind it.
              2) hopefully that solves my little rattle problem!

Comment

• Kingmarz
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2016
                • South Island New Zealand

Personally I think driving it off would have been more fun than getting underneath the truck with a wire wheel.
                02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• xadrian82
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Queensland

You can also use a good metal polish.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X