Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Brake light issue

Hi all,

Just put some LED brake/ tail light bulbs in the rug and when I put the tail lights on they light up as though under brake? Put my foot on the brake pedal, no change.. Any ideas? Works normally with the old bulbs.
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

Is it possible that the contacts on the new bulbs are in the wrong spot or have been wired incorrectly ?

I would compare the contacts on new vs the old (relative to the bayonet lugs) and also apply voltage to the new lamps to see if both the brake lamp and tail lamp led's function as expected.

The metal (body) part is the common (negative) connection.

I'm assuming these led's are replacing P21/5W bayonet lamps.
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

If they are bayonet the pins are offset. Make sure the bulbs are in the correct way in the slots.

If they are a wedge fitting reverse them. A lot of LEDs are one way current.

Comment

• Morville
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2008
        • Buxton Vic

I suggest checking the earth connection, a faulty earth can cause odd issues like that.
        Peter

Comment

Yeah good point raised by all.. I'll suss out all the above and let you know how I get on.

Comment

OK so when the key is off, I can turn the parkers on and press the brake and they light up. As soon as the key is on they brake lights stay on? Weird...haven't pulled the globes out yet, just came across that now... Starting the troubleshoot process!!

Comment

Alright! Problem solved! So just for future reference and in case it hasn't been mentioned on here beforehand, firstly, I stuffed up. The LED globes I purchased were BAY15D. The globes I should've purchased were the BA15D. The BAY15D globes aren't compatible with the Pajero. Better explained here.

The BA15d base has TWO contacts on the bottom and two parallel lugs on opposing sides of the base 180 degrees apart. Alternatives to the ba15d double contact bayonet are the BA15s (1156) base which has one contact on the bottom and the BA15d (1157) which has one of the two parallel lugs higher than the other one.

Thanks for all the tips! 😃

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X