Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

What should we know before taking it to the beach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bennyb29
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by puug View Post
    As long as you're not taking him around Fraser for his first outing he'll be right. Getting stuck is half the fun
    Slightly off topic, but would be glad to learn.

What do I need to look out for additionally at Fraser? I regularly do the Bribie 4WD track, including the beach, and so far have fared quite well. I need to do a trip to Fraser, so info on what to keep an eye out for, will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

P.S. : My car is a Pajero NT, but I'd assume the risks would be similar?
    Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• Pixie_au
      • Apr 2019
      • Queensland

Check out the comments in the Inskip Point YouTube videos and you'll get a wealth of "expert" advice for sand driving.
      Last edited by Pixie_au; 27-08-19, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• woffleon
        • Jul 2016
        • NSW

Do not drive on beach with the "air panel" fitted. An upgraded sump guard will see this removed anyway but check. The air panel is a plastic peice bolted to the radiator that hangs low into the light gauge sump guard you can see it through the slots in the front of the guard. Its only 20 - 25 mm from the guard so any deformation (bump on a rutted track) or a stick through the slots, will crack or break the radiator where the air panel mounts and your walking home!

Not hard to remove and doesn't seem to make any difference to cooling system.

Recovery points seem to be there for every else that gets stuck - I use them as "plan Z" in my 4x4 driving technique. 20psi gets me everywhere and that brilliant 8speed auto does the rest......gotta love that transmission.
        Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
          • Mar 2018
          • Western Australia

Regarding that "air panel" fitted below the radiator. As some have stated, it does not seem to cause any cooling problems if it is removed, so maybe it is not intended as an air deflector.
          I wonder if its purpose is to protect the vacuum freewheel system on the front diff from road dirt and debris coming through the slots in the front splash guard.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
            Regarding that "air panel" fitted below the radiator. As some have stated, it does not seem to cause any cooling problems if it is removed, so maybe it is not intended as an air deflector.
            I wonder if its purpose is to protect the vacuum freewheel system on the front diff from road dirt and debris coming through the slots in the front splash guard.
            The air panel you are referring to is an air baffle, its role is to force the air through the intercooler, condensor, radiator and ATF cooler rather than let the ram air escape.
            When fitting most aftermarket underbody guards then this baffle need to be shortened in height so it only just touches the new guard. Leaving it off means the cooling system is not operating at peak efficiency, it may not matter for 95% of the time, but during heavy towing or crawling through deep soft sand then the difference to the coolant temperature could be significant.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• woffleon
              • Jul 2016
              • NSW

The Air panel Is mounted with 4 x 8mm bolts to each side of the radiator "tanks". Any force on it will put pressure on the plastic tanks and possible crack or break them. If they had mounted the panel to the body or chassis or even the sump guard this would be a different story but NOT on the radiator....Wot were they thinking? It's possible it's there to "dam" front air pressure to aid flow at low speeds to the radiator but it's small size would make this very minimal.
              In off road use I would prefer to have a slightly reduced cooling capacity than possibly no cooling at all.
              Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by woffleon View Post
                The Air panel Is mounted with 4 x 8mm bolts to each side of the radiator "tanks". Any force on it will put pressure on the plastic tanks and possible crack or break them. If they had mounted the panel to the body or chassis or even the sump guard this would be a different story but NOT on the radiator....Wot were they thinking? It's possible it's there to "dam" front air pressure to aid flow at low speeds to the radiator but it's small size would make this very minimal.
                In off road use I would prefer to have a slightly reduced cooling capacity than possibly no cooling at all.
                If you are worried about the air dam getting damaged if your front plate gets a hit and bends, then just shorten the height of the dam by 10mm. If you bend a front plate 10mm you are going to have a lot more problems !

You would be surprised at how much cooling air you actually lose. You will not notice any engine coolant temperature rises unless you are really working the vehicle hard in hot conditions but you can see the difference in the intake air temperatures because the intercooler is not getting the best airflow. Mind you if you have a split pan design bullbar (ARB, TJM, MMC etc style) then you have already reduced your air flows significantly. On the Bushskinz front plate of my Challenger I ended up adding rubber side gusset panels and blocking off all the "air vent" slots because I was tired of mud and sand building up between the radiator and guard. I was expecting to see a rise in temperatures so I monitored it very closely and to my surprise I did not have a coolant temperature problem but I did see a reduction in engine air inlet and ATF temperatures.
                I have had all 3 Bushskinz underbody guards for about 4 years and they have saved the underneath from serious damage on many an occasion so I can not complain that they have not been worth the investment. From day 1, I always questioned a number of things; 1. 4mm thick mild steel is very heavy and is required to get the

I did a similar mod on Pajero 12's NW with his Bushskinz plates and MMAL bullbar.

OJ.
                Last edited by old Jack; 29-08-19, 09:22 AM.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

Watch out closely for the little streams that sometimes flow from the sandhills to the ocean.
                  They can be almist invisible until you are right on top of them, and they are often quite deep.
                  2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• joshinthecity
                    • May 2021
                    • Near Wollongong

Originally posted by greybeard View Post
                    Take your mates 4x4 and let it get full of salt, sand and rust
                    This....

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by tomlola View Post

For beach driving, it's a choice. Some do it, some don't, it's up to you. I like camping on the beach and he wants to come with me. I appreciate your concerns but I am more after technical tips and tricks than rust risk. But still thank you for your input.
                      My opinion is, it's very bad for cars indeed, not friendly at all, tough in many ways as are corrugated environments.

But i also think, life is not a dress rehearsal, if camping on the beach, enjoying as example world heritage listed islands & other areas of interest floats your boat, it's probably a good idea you get out there & do just that.
                      Unless you believe in reincarnation & your going to do that on your next round of life

Hence i brought a Pajero, to use for just that & other areas of interest over say the next 10 years, it's a big country.
                      Started prepping it as we speak .

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jayctee
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

My opinion is, it's very bad for cars indeed, not friendly at all, tough in many ways as are corrugated environments.

But i also think, life is not a dress rehearsal, if camping on the beach, enjoying as example world heritage listed islands & other areas of interest floats your boat, it's probably a good idea you get out there & do just that.
                        Unless you believe in reincarnation & your going to do that on your next round of life

Hence i brought a Pajero, to use for just that & other areas of interest over say the next 10 years, it's a big country.
                        Started prepping it as we speak .
                        That's sounds heavy man.................... and YES. 'Easy Rider' is one of my favourites !! LOL
                        SOLD: MY14 PC LS Auto Challenger, Airtec snorkel, GME TX3100 UHF, RV360 TPMS, Hema HN7, Provent 200 CC, Torque-Pro, Thunder Weekender battery box, Redarc BCDC 1225D charger.
                        SOLD 1997 NK GLX 3.5 Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X