• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Stewrv View Post
    Recently purchased a new NX. and read this post with interest. I tow a 2.3 tonne van with 220kg ball weight. I suspected with a tug rated to 250kg on the ball, that I would be able to tow without modification. I connected the van and the rear suspension went straight to the bump stops. My medium duty Haymen Reece WDH when pulled up as tight as i dared only just cleared the stops. I found that without the WDH that around 100kg would bottom the suspension out. I have since fitted High Pressure air bags which I run at 45psi. These improve the ride but it is still harsh on poor roads. I think HD springs a shocks will be next. My question is," how can Mit Motors promote 250kg max ball weight in standard trim ?"
    and "will my air bags be compatible with KCRS-35 springs"
    I measured the rear suspension height with bags deflated 510 mm hub center to wheel arch unloaded.
    Happy with the performance, comfort, economy, and value of the Paj and will be happier once this is sorted.
    Thanks Stewrv
    That surprises me. I have an NW and had been towing a 2.5T van with 230kg on the ball for the past 7 years. Originally I only had a WDH, then about 2 years later I added airbags to stop some of the bounce (not the kevlar sleeve ones). I then ran this for the next 4 years without any issue (this is with factory suspension). Finally last year I upgraded the suspension and ditched the airbags, so I was back to using just the WDH.

Is it possible your factory springs were not up to spec? Lots of Pajero's out there towing with the same weights and not having the same issues.
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Stewrv
      • Oct 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      100% agree, all manufacturers should have to test suspension with full passenger, cargo and towball loads to GVM. I doubt if any would pass the minimum legal ride heights as specified in the data the manufacturer provides when registering for RVCS.

Yes your airbags will fit inside KCRS-35 coils and these coils will make a big difference to the load carrying ability so you will be able to reduce the airbag pressures.
      You should only be loading up your WDH to return the lost ride height from the front suspension when the towball loads are applied, the rear will lift slightly when you do this but it should not return to the pre hitching height.

OJ.
      Thanks O.J.
      Yes , will be happier with less strain on the WDH. The off road driving we do is from the road in to a free camp, so will fit the KCRS 35'S and see how the stock shocks perform.
      Thanks again, stewrv

Comment

• Stewrv
        • Oct 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        I've just gone through this exercise and several different sets of springs and coils since I bought the NX new in 2015. I've finally got a set I'm happy with for towing our van with a ball weight similar to yours. I've also kept the airbags which were on the previous setup but with these new springs, I don't really need them. I've only got 10psi in them, which I'm very happy with. Ride comfort without the van attached is good too, and that's on some black rated 4WD tracks and in the city. I also use a WDH for the caravan but can't with the Tvan (ball weight 180) and still, the air bags seem redundant but they're there if I feel I need them. Ride height on the rear without the Tvan attached is 560mm and when attached it drops to 530mm and the van is basically level.

Springs were front : KCFR34 Rear : KCRR35HD (100-300kg)

Shockers are Koni front : FR 90 5443 PAJ and rear : PAJ REAR 88 5389

These have given me a good lift along with new insulators from PolyTuff.
        Hi Ian,
        Thanks , sounds like you have it sorted. As we don't do off road I am trying to keep it as comfortable as possible, but will keep your info should I find I am chasing my tail.

Cheers Stewrv

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X