• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiderpig
    • Jan 2008

P2764 Auto Trans Fault Code NT Pajero

Hi All,

I've started to get the check engine light flashing recently with an associated "N" light flashing aswell, checked the code and it's P2764.

This relates to, P2764 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low

When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects a continuous open or short to ground in the Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulated (TCC PWM) Solenoid valve circuit, then the P2764 code sets.

I have a wholesale automatics torque converter lock up kit fitted. Has worked fine for a few years, is it likely to be related to this? I did read a while ago some people had trouble with the resistor associated with this kit.

If i clear the code it drives ok for a bit, but comes back. If i clear the code and drive on the highway, engage tq converter lock-up, it works fine, then if i disengage the switch it throws a code again sometimes.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Since no-one has come back at you with this, I'll have a go. You say "Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low"

The fact that you can clear the code and then drive for a while before the code comes back suggests that the fluid pressure in the box is dropping a bit as you drive. You may have low fluid levels (in which case the fluid will get hot, and thin out a bit - unlikely). You may have a partial blockage in the system, causing excessive losses in the circuits, hence a drop in pressure. You may have a stuffed transmission (unlikely).

First things first - check the fluid level. Then check (if possible) to see that it is not overheating. Then if all that fails, change the fluid and see if that fixes the problem. Blocked filters can cause all sorts of problems.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
      Hi All,

I've started to get the check engine light flashing recently with an associated "N" light flashing aswell, checked the code and it's P2764.

This relates to, P2764 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low

When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects a continuous open or short to ground in the Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulated (TCC PWM) Solenoid valve circuit, then the P2764 code sets.

I have a wholesale automatics torque converter lock up kit fitted. Has worked fine for a few years, is it likely to be related to this? I did read a while ago some people had trouble with the resistor associated with this kit.

If i clear the code it drives ok for a bit, but comes back. If i clear the code and drive on the highway, engage tq converter lock-up, it works fine, then if i disengage the switch it throws a code again sometimes.
      I think I've seen this code when I was running my lockup, typically triggering as I switched the lockup on or off. I believe the "circuit low" relates to low current flowing in the solenoid circuit, as the ECU monitors this, so I think you're on the right track with the Wholesale kit, and the resistor in particular. If the ECU happens to take a current reading as the relay in the kit is switching that could cause an unexpected reading and trigger the fault.

The factory ECU uses two wires to energise the solenoid, i.e. current goes out and back via pins in an ECU plug. I believe some earlier Wholesale kits only connected the resistor to the positive supply, and grounded the other side, relying on the current returning through the body. If your kit is wired this way, there could be a few points in the return path that could contribute to your problem. Do you have suitable equipment to monitor the current in this circuit, to get a feel for what it's doing?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• spiderpig
        • Jan 2008

Thanks for the replies.

NJ, don't really have suitable equipment for monitoring amperage, just a multi meter.

Comment

• letsgoplaces
          • Jul 2014
          • Adelaide

Hi All,

I have a wholesale automatics torque converter lockup kit fitted. Has worked fine for a few years, is it likely to be related to this? I did read a while ago some people had trouble with the resistor associated with this kit.

I was in the same boat as you. Had the Wholesale TC lockup kit for a couple of years and it got to the point where it kept throwing codes and finally stopped working.
          I upgraded the MM4x4 Automate. In the early days there was still an intermittent code, but MM4x4 worked on it and created updates which have ironed out the bugs.
          To throw out an (uneducated) idea for the wholesale kit issue is the resistor might be playing up

Comment

• spiderpig
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by letsgoplaces View Post
            I was in the same boat as you. Had the Wholesale TC lockup kit for a couple of years and it got to the point where it kept throwing codes and finally stopped working.
            I upgraded the MM4x4 Automate. In the early days there was still an intermittent code, but MM4x4 worked on it and created updates which have ironed out the bugs.
            To throw out an (uneducated) idea for the wholesale kit issue is the resistor might be playing up
            Think i might just change the resistor and see how that goes. Easy fix if that's it.

Comment

• spiderpig
              • Jan 2008

New resistor didn't fix it unfortunately.... Next step is to remove lock up controller and put wiring back to standard im thinking.

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010
                • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

P2764 is caused by the transmission ECU not being able to drive either the torque converter lockup solenoid or the resistor. The ECU is always pushing a small signal into the solenoid (or resistor) as part of it’s real-time diagnostics. The moment it can’t detect a signal it throws that code (immediately).

Good news is I think it is highly unlikely there is a problem with your transmission.
                More likely the wholesale automatics kits has a problem (see letsgoplaces post above)

I’ve had a several people change to my kit after problems with wholesale one.

Yes, try putting it back to factory configuration to confirm all is ok with the trans.
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• dbdb
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Adelaide Hills

I was getting the same code with my wholesale automatics box. Changed the resistor, checked the earths and then rang wholesale autos. Very helpful, sent it back to them, got it repaired under warranty and sent back inside a week. All good now. Second time it's been back, so not excited by quality, but happy with service.
                  14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                  04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• spiderpig
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by dbdb View Post
                    I was getting the same code with my wholesale automatics box. Changed the resistor, checked the earths and then rang wholesale autos. Very helpful, sent it back to them, got it repaired under warranty and sent back inside a week. All good now. Second time it's been back, so not excited by quality, but happy with service.
                    Ok that's something i guess. How long had you owned the kit? Wondering how long they will service it under warranty....

Comment

• dbdb
                      • Aug 2008
                      • Adelaide Hills

Ok that's something i guess. How long had you owned the kit? Wondering how long they will service it under warranty....
                      I've had it since 2016, so three years old now.
                      14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                      04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• spiderpig
                        • Jan 2008

Decided to remove the Wholesale Automatic's TQ lockup ECU and return it for warranty. At the same time I bridged the 2 wires that are cut when installing the kit, to replicate it not being there and back to oem config just to make sure it is the ECU that is playing up.
                        Seems I'm still getting the same issue so looking more likely it might be the lockup solenoid playing up.
                        Is this something that can be replaced easily enough or does the Auto trans pan need to be dropped?

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Decided to remove the Wholesale Automatic's TQ lockup ECU and return it for warranty. At the same time I bridged the 2 wires that are cut when installing the kit, to replicate it not being there and back to oem config just to make sure it is the ECU that is playing up.
                          Seems I'm still getting the same issue so looking more likely it might be the lockup solenoid playing up.
                          Is this something that can be replaced easily enough or does the Auto trans pan need to be dropped?
                          Before jumping inside the transmission there are a couple of simple checks.
                          P2764 means the circuit from the ECU through the solenoid and back to the ECU is open.
                          Try measuring the resistance across the solenoid. If it’s 5-6 ohms the solenoid and wiring circuit is ok.
                          If not (open circuit) start looking for damage to the wires under the car.
                          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X