Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Website Feedback

Website Feedback Tell us what you do like and don't like about the forum.

Old 24-11-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
I do not understand what useful functionality a "like" button has. At what point has anyone made a decision to either view or avoid to view a particular item of interest based on the number of likes/dislikes? Do we pay per click now?

Some might argue that they would like to input their opinion without disturbing the conversation. To me this basically sums up a key reason for societies problems - everyone quick to "have a say" (which you're not really) in the laziest way possible. Isn't it a discussion forum rather than an agreement area. If you've got nothing to add do I or anyone else for that matter need to know that some sheeple agreed or disagreed with some statement made by some other anonymity on the internet by way of a thumbs up or down?

Hmm, getting a bit too soapboxy for a Monday morning. Maybe I should go find one of Goodsy's posts or go and watch that clip again of the car being hit by lightning
The idea behind having the like system and/or the rep system on forums such as this one is so that users (particularly new users who aren't familiar with the regular faces on here) can determine whether or not they can comfortably rely on an answer being factual.

Eg, if a user has a really poor reputation you may want to wait for a different opinion but if someone like Pauly Faulkner for example comes along and he's got a massive rep because he answers so many questions accurately users will be more likely to trust his answers. Similar for likes, if you've got three solutions to a problem presented to you and two of the options have basically no likes, but another has many - you are more likely to follow the advice in the answer with more likes.

Hope that helps clarify why such a system may be warranted on a forum such as this. Nothing to do with society or any other kind of bigger picture. Just purely to try to get solutions to peoples problems out quickly and accurately.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 24-11-15

^^ Like
Old 24-11-15
Valued Member

I'll add an opinion here.

T.C. Barky's response and explanation is excellent. However, any system like this does depend on the members who hand out the "Likes" or "Rep" points being sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to distinguish between a good and bad response. Unfortunately, on the social media where this is most used, this isn't necessarily the case.

The other thing is that any such system depends on members actually using it. On another forum the "Like" button was introduced, at the request of members, and I have enough digits to more than cover the number of times it's actually been used.

A reputation points system is, I think, somewhat better than the "Like" alternative, since it reflects back on the member providing the good answer, rather than on that answer in isolation. Again depends on proper use - the town comedian may get lots of points for his humorous responses, rather than the quality of those in relation to the topic or question being asked. Every system has its pros and cons. Consider a member who consistently replies with helpful, factual information but doesn't have a particularly high post count. He may have the same points as another who has a huge post count but whose replies are only 50% right. How one allocates points for responses prior to introduction of any such system is something that the forum management need to consider as well.

I've also seen a "thank you" system, where the number received is displayed for each member. This also seems to work reasonably well.
Old 24-11-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC.Barky View Post
The idea behind having the like system and/or the rep system on forums such as this one is so that users (particularly new users who aren't familiar with the regular faces on here) can determine whether or not they can comfortably rely on an answer being factual.

Eg, if a user has a really poor reputation you may want to wait for a different opinion but if someone like Pauly Faulkner for example comes along and he's got a massive rep because he answers so many questions accurately users will be more likely to trust his answers. Similar for likes, if you've got three solutions to a problem presented to you and two of the options have basically no likes, but another has many - you are more likely to follow the advice in the answer with more likes.

Hope that helps clarify why such a system may be warranted on a forum such as this. Nothing to do with society or any other kind of bigger picture. Just purely to try to get solutions to peoples problems out quickly and accurately.
I would think that any information garnished from the internet be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. Forums are a bit better but I could go on about the studies of monkeys, bananas and icy water where the new monkeys behaviour in an enclosure is changed without any experience of the reasons why.

As I said I don't understand why anyone would rely on a "like" system to determine whether a thread was of use or not nor whether a comment or advice is sound. But then again I don't understand why anyone would buy a Y61 Patrol these days.

Pauly does have a good rep, and without a system of likes.
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
Old 24-11-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFT5 View Post
I'll add an opinion here.

T.C. Barky's response and explanation is excellent. However, any system like this does depend on the members who hand out the "Likes" or "Rep" points being sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to distinguish between a good and bad response. Unfortunately, on the social media where this is most used, this isn't necessarily the case.

The other thing is that any such system depends on members actually using it. On another forum the "Like" button was introduced, at the request of members, and I have enough digits to more than cover the number of times it's actually been used.

A reputation points system is, I think, somewhat better than the "Like" alternative, since it reflects back on the member providing the good answer, rather than on that answer in isolation. Again depends on proper use - the town comedian may get lots of points for his humorous responses, rather than the quality of those in relation to the topic or question being asked. Every system has its pros and cons. Consider a member who consistently replies with helpful, factual information but doesn't have a particularly high post count. He may have the same points as another who has a huge post count but whose replies are only 50% right. How one allocates points for responses prior to introduction of any such system is something that the forum management need to consider as well.

I've also seen a "thank you" system, where the number received is displayed for each member. This also seems to work reasonably well.
Very good points. Guess you never know how well it'll work until it's used in practice.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.