• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
    You should have some fun with that. I want to try the TIG one day - it's one of those "Gunna Do" things. I also would like to try aluminium welding but I’m told you can’t use the same sheath the steel goes through or it stuffs up the weld – the gas is different too I think.

Geoff
    Yes looking forward to picking it up in store when I return home from work. TIG from my research mainly uses Argon.

To MIG with aluminium the general consensus is you need a spool gun, I originally was going to buy one but one capable of 200 Amp is over 400bucks. If a planned on doing a lot of aluminium welding I would have got one but otherwise thought it was too much of a personal expense to just weld aluminium. Also your are right need Argon only to MIG aluminium

The TIG torch I thought would be more of versatile option.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Well I wished I bought something like this last time around, it lays down the metal nicely, wire feed is so smooth. It shits all over the cheapo welder I bought a few years ago.

Have only used the MIG function so far. I don't have any rods or thick steel to try out the stick side of it yet, or my lack of stick ability.
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Originally posted by craka View Post
        Well I wished I bought something like this last time around, it lays down the metal nicely, wire feed is so smooth. It shits all over the cheapo welder I bought a few years ago.

Have only used the MIG function so far. I don't have any rods or thick steel to try out the stick side of it yet, or my lack of stick ability.
        I know what you mean – my cheap MIG was crap compared with the new one. I’ve never tried the stick option on it as I have a separate stick welder but I do everything with the MIG now anyway.

Cheers
        Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X