Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Default DIY Lithium battery from 3.2v cells

So Iím thinking of going down this path and build my own 12 v battery after watching this guys channel https://youtu.be/E4pN4DVPOcY

Easy enough no?!?!

Found these cells seems only calb is available in the ah I want.

https://www.lfp.net.au/3-2voltcells?...iAAEgI80fD_BwE

Or

https://www.evworks.com.au/batteries/

Has anyone done this? Your advice or experience will be appreciated.
NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Bridgestone D674LT, PWR interCooler, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19 bunk combo
Old 1 Week Ago

I nearly went down this path (having bought 200AH 3.2v winston cells) as well as a BMS but i sold my van before the project got moving.

The main constraint for me at the time was the different charging characteristics between lead acid and LiPO4 batteries (which can be overcome with a special DC DC charger but it was out of my budget at the time)
Old 1 Week Ago

I'd be worried about the risk of fire from anything DIY with lithium batteries.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.dunn View Post
I'd be worried about the risk of fire from anything DIY with lithium batteries.
There is a huge difference between the LiPo used in hobbiest projects and mobile phones and the LiFePO4 used in these 3.2V cells. The danger is minimal and very simple to monitor and maintain. Lots of people panic at the word lithium without knowing there are different technologies under the lithium umbrella.
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I've built one in my camper and it's worked brilliantly.

Give the guys from EV Works or EV Power a ring, they are very helpful.

I use victron mppt and 240v charges which have dedicated lithium profile inbuilt. Enerdrive is a top shelf charger but costs quite a bit more.

Currently I don't have any cell balancing but am in the process of purchasing these which will do that:
https://evparts.com.au/ev-power-bms/...ll-module.html

I use the Victron to handle the low and high voltage cutoff.
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I've built one in my camper and it's worked brilliantly.

Give the guys from EV Works or EV Power a ring, they are very helpful.

I use victron mppt and 240v charges which have dedicated lithium profile inbuilt. Enerdrive is a top shelf charger but costs quite a bit more.

Currently I don't have any cell balancing but am in the process of purchasing these which will do that:
https://evparts.com.au/ev-power-bms/...ll-module.html

I use the Victron to handle the low and high voltage cutoff.

Hi mate if you donít mind what is the model for the victron charger? Looks like Iíll need one too
NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Bridgestone D674LT, PWR interCooler, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19 bunk combo
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoEater View Post
Hi mate if you donít mind what is the model for the victron charger? Looks like Iíll need one too

I have this for the Solar in the 100/20 combo. I went with this as I use a house panel so the input voltage is higher than most normal MPPTs can handle.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-...-100-15-100-20

And this for the 240V charger:
https://www.victronenergy.com/charge...t-ip65-charger

Both can connect to your phones bluetooth and the app gives you plenty of useful information.