• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reciprovac
    • Jan 2011
    • broadford Victoria, Australia

smart alternator override

Have any of you electronic gurus out there worked out an easy way to make our smart alternators less smart, and more practical, for us simple souls who want to run an Engel from a second battery.
    I have in the past run my lights during daytime to assist in getting the alternator to charge more but a complete override is the only way forward without the ridiculous cost of a DC/DC charger.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Regards
    2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
    Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.
  • boritz
    • Jun 2013
    • Gippsland VIC

The Ultragauge fitted to my MY13 NW always reads ~14v (with engine running) so I'm not certain that the alt is regulated by 'smart' logic.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    NW GLX-R MY13 3.2 DiD auto.
    2016 Concept Innovation 600R caravan

Comment

• mr_bosman
      • Oct 2014
      • Warrnambool

Do you always have the air con auto?

Try turning off all accessories and advise what the ultrguage sttes the batt voltage is?
      2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
      http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• NJV6
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • New Zealand

Mine is all over the show, sometimes 14.14 and other times 13.7 with the same assessories on, usually just a/c & radio. Sometimes is is 13.4 and with radio anda/c off its down as low as 12.4.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why it is 14.14 or 13.7 on mine but it is easy to get 13.7 by just running the climate control on (which always is) so will charge your battery.
        1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
        1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
        2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• boritz
          • Jun 2013
          • Gippsland VIC

Interesting thought...
          Originally posted by mr_bosman View Post
          ...Try turning off all accessories and advise what the ultrguage st[a]tes the batt voltage is?...
          I'll try to take a look over the next few days.

My ~14v comment above was admittedly based on random casual glances and a rounded approximation since I wasn't interested in decimal portions.

Charging the caravan battery, powering Al-Ko ESC & running the 'fridge prompted me to view the Ultragauge reading. Those infrequent checks were enough to indicate the Paj seemed to be doing the job (and the said 12v clients were happy).
          Cheers,
          Dave.

Comment

• Mike DiD
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

Connect the Negative of the Aux Battery to the Negative of the Starter Battery.

That way the Aux Battery Charging current flows through the Smart Alternator Current Sensor which is at the Front of the Starter Battery.

When EITHER Battery is still drawing charging current, the Smart Alternator will keep the voltage high.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• reciprovac
              • Jan 2011

smart alternator override

Mike , Do you mean that the negative from the Aux battery has to be connected below the currrent sensor ?
              It seems to me that is the only way it would work,can you confirm please.
              Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Not sure if that's what he meant, but connecting the second battery negative to ground is the only way that the return current will be sensed and the alternator automatically adjusts to compensate. Connecting batteries negative to negative will bypass the sensor so the alternator won't know about any additional current draw.
                Chris

Comment

• ticky
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post

Connecting batteries negative to negative will bypass the sensor so the alternator won't know about any additional current draw.
                  I really wish I understood this better...

I believe however, that hooking the negative of the Aux battery to the negative of the Crank battery makes that sensor see just one big ass battery and it WILL charge until both the crank and the Aux battery are charged.

Hooking the Aux to a Body Earth is what causes the Aux to fail to charge as I understand it,... but I am no expert

Steve
                  2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• reciprovac
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                    I really wish I understood this better...

I believe however, that hooking the negative of the Aux battery to the negative of the Crank battery makes that sensor see just one big ass battery and it WILL charge until both the crank and the Aux battery are charged.

Hooking the Aux to a Body Earth is what causes the Aux to fail to charge as I understand it,... but I am no expert

Steve
                    Yes Steve that is what I am querying with Mike, I am thinking that if you connect the aux negative to the main battery negative terminal the return current will have to go through the sensor then to the aux,then as you suggest the Alternator will see the increased flow through the sensor and increase its charge.

Comment

• green troll
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Adelaide

I've said it many times. Mine is hooked up aux neg to main neg with no issues 14.2/3/4

Comment

• boritz
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Gippsland VIC

Originally posted by boritz View Post
                        ...I'll try to take a look [at the Ultragauge volts while all accessories are off] over the next few days...
                        Fortunately it was cool enough today to turn off climate control etc.

50 Km round-trip to/from work (Paj only of course, no caravan in-tow).

Ultragauge readings (there appear to be 2 battery voltage gauges available):

- 25 Km outbound: UG Battery Voltage gauge always ~14+v

- 25 Km inbound: ECM Battery Voltage gauge always ~14+v

A single newish 4WD cranking battery which replaced the short-lived OEM lawnmower jobbie.
                        Cheers,
                        Dave.

Comment

• vladguan
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by reciprovac View Post
                          Yes Steve that is what I am querying with Mike, I am thinking that if you connect the aux negative to the main battery negative terminal the return current will have to go through the sensor then to the aux,then as you suggest the Alternator will see the increased flow through the sensor and increase its charge.
                          As I previously understood, hook power hungry accessories -ve to ground to be sensed. However, when I did it to my 270W LED light bar, it created a power drain and tripped the ASTC warning lights. Should I need connecting the LED light bar -ve to the battery -ve?
                          Please call me Vlad.
                          -----------------------
                          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• drgtr
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Rosemeadow

Can anyone confirm negative auxillary to main negative battery works?

Comment

• vladguan
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
                              Can anyone confirm negative auxillary to main negative battery works?
                              Should connect it to ground. The issue I had was to do with a faulty light bar. If you connect aux negative to main negative, the extra load won't be sensed by the alternator.
                              Please call me Vlad.
                              -----------------------
                              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X