• Show
Clear All
  • colcam
    • May 2009
    • Maryborough, QLD

Just done the cabin filter mod by Wayne:

Very straight forward thanks mate.

Bought the filter from him at A Cullen & Sons:

Great price and even better service - you can't go wrong.

Then cleaned out the evaporator detailed in this post. The evaporator wasn't as bad as in Waynes pics but the amount of leaves and dirt and crap that was clogging the drain hole was certainly the cause of the wet smelly carpet because the water couldn't get away.

I had to put a hose up the drain pipe were it comes out next to the gearbox to try and clear it out. I couldn't believe the amount of debris that kept coming out. I alternated from hosing the evaporator then back up the drain pipe a few times before it started running clear. I had someone in the cab telling me when to stop squirting so I didn't fill up the box too much. She also had a hook to snag some of the larger bits that wouldn't fit down the drain.

Fingers crossed there'll be no more smelly carpet or iceing up.
    This problem has been annoying the crap out of me for a few years now and as usual the local MM dealer was useless .

One thing I did find when I removed the centre air duct, was the resister that screws in under it (in your first pic) is rusted.
    What does it do and does rust = stuffed?

Cheers

Cameron
    96 NM 3.2 DiD, 2" lift, King springs, OME Nitrocharger Sports, Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ, 40L Engel, Custom drawers, pirahna 180 dual bty system, GME TZ 3340 UHF, Rhino Rack, Fox Wing with LED's, Narva Ultima 225 spotties, laptop with Ozi Explorer, chequer plate bash plates.
    To Do: Heavy Duty side steps/sliders, winch, chip, 3" exhaust...

Comment

• steveandviv
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Broome

Yea, me too. Busy weekend. To hot though at the moment.
      2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• pauld
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2010
        • Melbourne

I believe your resistor block is for the different fan speeds, it's in the duct to keep it cool. Should be right until the fan stops working (if it ever does).
        2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• colcam
          • May 2009
          • Maryborough, QLD

Thanks Paul
          96 NM 3.2 DiD, 2" lift, King springs, OME Nitrocharger Sports, Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ, 40L Engel, Custom drawers, pirahna 180 dual bty system, GME TZ 3340 UHF, Rhino Rack, Fox Wing with LED's, Narva Ultima 225 spotties, laptop with Ozi Explorer, chequer plate bash plates.
          To Do: Heavy Duty side steps/sliders, winch, chip, 3" exhaust...

Comment

• amr75wcr
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by pauld View Post
            I believe your resistor block is for the different fan speeds, it's in the duct to keep it cool. Should be right until the fan stops working (if it ever does).
            Yes the resistor is in the duct for cooling and it will eventually fail, first indication will be the loss of a single fan speed, from memory about $60-70 from mm
            Wayne
            04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• marcthelegend
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2008
              • Gosnells, WA

Wonder if anyone could help, I did the cleaning steps described but somehow during all that managaed to block the drain plug? Anyway it filled up the condenser which eventually trailed back into the fan blades on corners and drenched the carpet, once I finally unblocked it I was showered with all sorts of things collected in there.

I noticed shortly after this happened that I can turn the fan to 1, 2 and 3 but when I hit 4 I get an immediate 'electrical burn' smell followed shortly by the 30amp fuse blowing? I have a new fan on order from the US ($90 from there, at least $250 from here, only difference is the connector) which should arrive late this week, early next.

Would the resistor pack be able to cause this issue as well?

Cheers

Marc
              05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
              brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• amr75wcr
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Sunny Coast

Possibily it may have shorted the resistor, just one question how did you get water all the way back to the fan, did you remove the center section of the air box between the fan and evaporator?
                Wayne
                04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• MickG
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Brisbane

I'd have to recheck my schematic, but i seem to recall that the highest fan speed (4) by passes the resistor block. So I'd be looking for a short in that section of wiring, and not the res block.
                  Did u happen to check that the fan worked when removed from the car, by connecting directly to a spare battery? This would replicate 4th speed operation.

Comment

• marcthelegend
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2008
                    • Gosnells, WA

Originally posted by amr75wcr View Post
                    Possibily it may have shorted the resistor, just one question how did you get water all the way back to the fan, did you remove the center section of the air box between the fan and evaporator?
                    Wayne
                    I followed all the steps listed above (took everything apart etc.) and in doing so, the dirt must have clogged the drain plug, anyway I noticed the condensation had formed a puddle roughly 100k's from a nearest town so had to push on, only when I arrived at the remote camping spot could I unblock it (had a 500ml of water by that point!) and I suppose by that time, it destroyed something.

Following this the fan began to make demonic screaching noises when operated at any speed.

Hoping it would not be the resistor pack!

Cheers

Marc
                    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
                    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Cairns

Well I finally got around to it today. Took just over 1.5 hours after following Wayne's advice above.
                      My aircon stunk of dirt and dust every time you hit the aircon button. There were a couple of small leaves and bits of other crap trapped under the evaporator but mine was nowhere near as dirty as Wayne's. Not even in the same league!
                      I made up a wand with a 90 degree micro spray nozzle and a isolation tap out of irrigation bits and pieces that I had laying around. After a couple of passes with the wand I noticed that the evaporator box was filling up as the drain was blocking. My Paj has the mod with the extended drain pipe. I reached down behind the engine to the firewall and took the extended pipe off and jammed a large cable tie up the hole to unblock it.
                      After a few more sprays and a bit more work with the cable tie to keep unblocking the drain, I was happy with the end result. The first pass of water came out absolutely filthy and by the end it was coming out clean.
                      I put the extended drain hose back on and put everything back together under the dash.
                      Very happy with the result, no more dust / dirt smells from the aircon!
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      Attached Files
                      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Picko
                        • Mar 2014
                        • Gold Coast

Thanks Wayne for the very usefull info, I think i had 1/2 of western queensland lodged in the evaporator. One trick i found before hosing it out was the vacum it 1st. I did this by duct taping 1/2 meter or so garden hose to the end of the vaccum cleaner hose, helped a lot. cheers. cabin filter will be fitted on the weekend
                        Your mate, Picko.

Comment

• muppo
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Craigieburn

Just done the clean today it was all done including the cabin filter mod in 2hrs. I also removed the whole fan unit and cleaned it out. Simply remove two retaining screws for wiring loom and three fan assembly screws and the whole thing comes out , makes it soo much easier to clean the whole ducting out too.

Great forum, lots of great tips, keep it up everyone.
                          Now-2008 VW Touareg V6Tdi Rocket!

Before-2005 NP GLX Auto DiD Cooper ST Maxx
                          2008 200 series V8 petrol Sahara BFG MT KM2, 2009 ML GLXR Triton DiD Auto Toyo MTR Cooper ST, 2007 Unlimited Wrangler Manual BFG MT KM2, 2004 Hilux SR5 Dual Cab V6 Toyo OPATs, 2007 LR Disco 3 HSE Tdi General Grabber AT, 2005 100 Series V8 Sahara Cooper ATR / STC, 2004 NP V6 Exceed GO11 Yokohama, 2002 XL7 Suzuki Vitara BFG AT KO, 2000 Jackaroo SE V6 BFG AT KO , 1996 TJ Wrangler BFG MT
                          Live it like it's your last!

Comment

• dou_nut
                            • Sep 2013
                            • Sydney

about rear air con vent

Hello..
                            Guys newbie...here...
                            I just want to ask someone who knows or done...this,,,
                            I have NM 2002 pajero...AUto...V6 with LPG ,,,Dual fuel...

It had pretty weak air condition...so I took it to mechanic to refill and check where is the leak is....
                            Mechanic couldn't find the leak...so he just refilled it....
                            Now I have cool air...front of the car (driver side and passenger side)...
                            If we turn the air con for the rear ....we are getting cool or warm air to front and bit cool air to rear...so we are not getting good air condition at all when we turn the rear section...

What can we do about it? Anything I can have a look or do before taking it to mechanic?

Comment

• dou_nut
                              • Sep 2013
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by amr75wcr View Post
                              Ok so today it was dismantle the Pajero dash to try and clean the air con evaporator. Well i have to say hats of to the guys at MM total job took about 2 hours as the air box unit is in three seperate parts and can be split with the dash in.
                              Firstly remove the top glove box, its not that difficult so i didn't take pics, one the top glove box is out the center piece of the air box needs to be removed.
                              this piece is the bit that allows access to evaporator. Don't forget to unplug the wiring connector on the resistor.
                              under the main glove box the plastic trim needs to be removed

threaded clip at the back and two plastic phillips type screw heads under the glove box trim.
                              This clip is in a bastard of a spot to get

Once the top dash i removed and the lower trim there is two bolt and one clip in the back of the air duct between the fan and evaporator housing.

remove these whilst you a crawling around on the ground.
                              Next step is to release the lower glove box so it will allow better access just push either side of the glove box to allow the stops to clear the dash.

Once the lower dash is out of the way the is a large metal bracket held in by a 10mm bolt remove it.

Once this is out of the way there is a 10 and 8 mm bolts that need to be removed as well as a phillips screw holding the bracket on top of the air chanel, it holds the feron tubing in place at the tx valve there is only the one screw on it.

After these 4 bolts and one screw have been removed the center air duct will slide straight down it may need a little jiggling to clear the dash and the floor carpet, i needed to pull back on the bottom of the dash panel where the center console joins to clear the metal framework on the inside of the dash.
                              This is the piece you are trying to remove.

After it is out this was the state of the evaporator.

Then came the question how to clean the bloody thing, i grabber the garden hose moved the car to a slight angle so the drain hole was downhill, grabbed a towel and wrapped it around the hose fittings. i put the adjustable nozzle on the flat spray pattern and held it inside the evaperator box and began to spary in small burts.

I put the hose in here.

I think half of WA and QLD flowed freely from the drain hole, after a few minutes of flushing and the water was running clear this was the result.

Job done refitting is a matter of holding your tongue right as well to get the duct back in but all in all not that bad.
                              After refitting it i tested the air con again and now the air hammers out the vents on high speed which was a far cry from last week.
                              So if you air seems a bit ordinary before rushing of to the auto electricans to have a regas my suggestion would be check the evaporator for clogging.
                              Next mission fix the rear air vent dusting problem.
                              Wayne
                              Do you have to pull out all the dash? or just glowbox?
                              I have NM pajero...and air con is not so cold...just front section...
                              Rear section's air is not cold enough....thinking about cleaning...as you did...

Comment

• Mnemonic
                                • Jan 2012
                                • Mackay

I did mine today and and was no trouble when i followed this guide.
                                My paj is a 2004 diesel auto pov pack, so im always looking for ways to mod, improve and maintain the old girl.
                                After cleaning the condenser out I gotta say the air con is just bloody freezing!
                                Love it!

Thanks so much for going to the trouble
                                2004 NP Pajero PovPack

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X