• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2slow
    • Aug 2017
    • Gawler SA

Triton Club Cab as Tow Vehicle

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a Tray Top Club Cab as a tow vehicle?

I’m very tempted to buy a new MR model (auto) as the tug for our 16ft Jayco Expanda.
    We are currently using a Pajero Sport which has turned out to be quite a capable and reliable workhorse but we feel the CC would be better suited to our requirements. There are a few reasons for this especially if it is fitted with a part-tray aluminium canopy to store the ever growing amount of stuff we “have” to take with us.

Any thoughts or experiences good or bad please let me know.
    Last edited by 2slow; 02-03-19, 05:11 PM.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi 2slow,

Personally I do not like Utes for towing as the rear overhang is longer so this enables "the tail to wag the dog"' and there are way too may issues of cracked and broken chassis on all Utes of all makes. Wagons offer a shorter rear over hang and a body which shares the load.

It doesn't matter how much room you have, you or your travelling companions will always find stuff that will fill any spare space you have.
    I have friends with LC200's and 25ft dual axle caravans, and they still complain about not having enough room for all the gadgets they have purchased and " really need" and there is only 2 of them!

Be careful when looking at Utes as the real payloads are dramatically reduced once you account for the towball down loads.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi 2slow,

Personally I do not like Utes for towing as the rear overhang is longer so this enables "the tail to wag the dog"' and there are way too may issues of cracked and broken chassis on all Utes of all makes. Wagons offer a shorter rear over hang and a body which shares the load.

It doesn't matter how much room you have, you or your travelling companions will always find stuff that will fill any spare space you have.
      I have friends with LC200's and 25ft dual axle caravans, and they still complain about not having enough room for all the gadgets they have purchased and " really need" and there is only 2 of them!
      Exactly. Space isn't the issue, it's the weight.

It's possible to do extended remote area touring in a shorty. I've done it, spiderpig has done it, cruisn06 is doing it. It requires discipline, to work out what you really need, and what you're prepared to do without.

Since I bought my NT my issue isn't space, it's weight. Lots of gadgets I'd like to have, but I'm already travelling too heavy, and I've set my priorities - new gadgets must either be essential, or replace something heavier. Part of me thinks a GVM upgrade would be nice to have, but I'm pragmatic enough to realise it will only encourage me to take more.

Be careful when looking at Utes as the real payloads are dramatically reduced once you account for the towball down loads.

OJ.
      I think the real problem comes when owners attempt to tow the ridiculous maximum limit, and must stay under the GCM. The max towing weight subtracts from the GVM, to the point where a recent review calculated that at max towing weight, with 10% ball weight, the ute's remaining payload was borderline for carrying the driver and his/her luggage. Forget about friends or family.

If the OP is looking to stay below 2500kg this will be less of an issue - but still something to watch.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X