• Show
Clear All
  • pajrex1456
    • May 2009
    • Box Hill South, VIC

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
    Updated Android Auto v1.4 Nov 4 2016
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11...-apk-download/
    Mate I think it should read Nov 4 2015....

Thanks for the update - I hope it'll be more stable than what I have currently.
    Last edited by pajrex1456; 09-11-15, 09:49 AM.
    2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

1992 3.0V6 NH GLS - GONE!! The King is dead!! Long Live the King!!

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

Well have cracked the display to run third party navigation and screen all your apps etc. $25 gets it happening
      So a couple of shots, first is Memory Map

But just a warning if your planning on doing the mod. The intention is for the display to run Android Auto. Android Auto has been designed to not need to handle the phone whilst driving as most controls work from the steering wheel.
      If you do this mod you do so at your own risk .
      I am only doing it for third party mapping off road like Ozi and Memory Map and for when mobile reception is lost.
      Phone used is a Xperia Z2
      And this is what connects from phone to display
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• pajrex1456
        • May 2009
        • Box Hill South, VIC

Dave,

Thanks! Please see if I understand you/the mod correctly:
        - it's a USB-HDMI adapter cable,
        - allows the mirror function to replicate what's on the smartphone, to the MMCS display,
        - if unplugged and the normal USB cable is connected and Android Auto started up, then the Android Auto features will work as normal (i.e. navigation using GoogleMaps, google voice commands, calls and messaging are functional, while mobile/data reception is available).

Is that right?

Any other software/mods necessary?

Thanks,
        Tuck
        2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

Originally posted by pajrex1456 View Post
          Dave,

Thanks! Please see if I understand you/the mod correctly:
          - it's a USB-HDMI adapter cable,
          - allows the mirror function to replicate what's on the smartphone, to the MMCS display,
          - if unplugged and the normal USB cable is connected and Android Auto started up, then the Android Auto features will work as normal (i.e. navigation using GoogleMaps, google voice commands, calls and messaging are functional, while mobile/data reception is available).

Is that right?

Any other software/mods necessary?

Thanks,
          Tuck
          Correct to all Tuck..... but went for a drive and the HDMI cuts out once you get up to about 10 kph...... now I have some more homework to do
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• pajrex1456
            • May 2009
            • Box Hill South, VIC

Acchh!!! Too bad. Maybe safety issue..

FYI after the v.1.4 update of Android Auto was installed on my Galaxy S5, and, I've given it permission to access just about everything, Android Auto/Galaxy S5 is starting to behave. I also believe it might be something to do with the micro-USB connector on my phone. Going to check that out next.

rgds,
            Tuck

Comment

• westonpaj
              • Aug 2012
              • ACT

The Android system is in our wonderful new NX is very very limited. Android Auto only allows you use Google maps and Music (as well as the phone of course, but that works fine just on BT).

So how to use real navigation apps like Androzic or OziExplorer with topo maps? And with injection of the car's GPS which is more sensitive than that in our phones. Why have GPS in the car at all if it only tells you latitude and longitude? And how to use other music players?

The HDMI link is designed to cut out when the car is moving so we have to use the USB.

So i tried Car Dashdroid, which lets you select other GPS and audio players, at least on the phone. The steps are:
              1. connect via Android Auto (this is currently unavoidable).
              2. then turn on Car Dashdroid
              3. start your audio player on the phone.

This allows use of Neutron to play high quality music (24/192 flacs sound great over the gentle diesel roar) and audiobook players, audible etc.

But still no real navigation while driving. Has anyone gotten any further with this?

The ARunchained apps show what can be done with the Pioneer AppRadio, including GPS injection. But until we can solve this I have to use my ancient nuvi to display location etc.

Comment

• pajrex1456
                • May 2009
                • Box Hill South, VIC

Thanks for Neutron - what an awesome app! Why can't Google Music be anything like that... Quite unfortunately it can't be used with Android Auto in the car..! Also thanks for Car Dashdroid - how cool an app! I'm giving it a thorough testing too.

I've been searching for ways to relay navigation apps like Oziexplorer to the MMCS, but no luck so far (in the process I also managed to totally brick a well-liked Nexus 7...).

I'm almost at the verge of giving up on that because:
                - with GoogleMap works well enough for me for turn-by-turn navigation IF i set up the navigation route while I have network or mobile access. Even through where no mobile or data network is available it keeps going.
                - I find it's not very nice to keep looking down at the MMCS while driving. (Maybe I am spoiled because my other car has an abbreviation of the guidance display on the dash.) I just imagine having to look at raster maps on that relatively small MMCS screen while driving, and I'm already searching for a 10" tablet on the fleabay (particularly since the Nexus is now bricked!!).

Bear in mind, that raster maps (which are what we mainly have as topo or off road maps) do not have good resolution, so on a small display it's going to be a pain to read.

Nevertheless, if any one works out a solution I would still be very interested, just for the hell of it!

Comment

• pajrex1456
                  • May 2009
                  • Box Hill South, VIC

Well Zarbs,

If it's any indication from the preceding messages on this topic, you'll note that even we Android users are not exactly having a lot of fun with it..!!

I'm sure they'll come up with something soon.

Cheers,
                  Tuck

Comment

• Dave3006
                    • Oct 2015
                    • Lake Macquarie

Fellas for the life of me I can not access Settings in the Blue tooth Audio control.

I want to do the speech learning as I have a fairly deep voice and every device I have ever tried to do voice commands on doesn't work. So the phrases may well help this work better.

Any tips?

Comment

• pajrex1456
                      • May 2009
                      • Box Hill South, VIC

Originally posted by Dave3006 View Post
                      Fellas for the life of me I can not access Settings in the Blue tooth Audio control.

I want to do the speech learning as I have a fairly deep voice and every device I have ever tried to do voice commands on doesn't work. So the phrases may well help this work better.

Any tips?
                      Haha my Malaysian-English accent is also giving trouble with voice recognition - but not so for my friends who do not..!! LOL!!!

If you have the Android Auto connected, then most bluetooth settings will not be accessible. Not sure if you have tried disconnecting first..?

Comment

• Dave3006
                        • Oct 2015
                        • Lake Macquarie

Originally posted by pajrex1456 View Post
                        Haha my Malaysian-English accent is also giving trouble with voice recognition - but not so for my friends who do not..!! LOL!!!

If you have the Android Auto connected, then most bluetooth settings will not be accessible. Not sure if you have tried disconnecting first..?
                        I have Aandroid Auto connected to my mine but at the time of trying to access the Settings I did not have my phone conected via USB.

Maybe I did have it connected via Bluetooth and that caused a problem. I will try over the weekend without it connected in either way.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• sybernetics
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Coreyb View Post
                          I'm trying to find a part number to add this unit to my car. Do you thing anyone can help?
                          Yes me too, can anyone please find a part number for this unit? and possibly a repair manual so I can see the connectors at the back?

Cheers,
                          Saad

Comment

• Pickle
                            Administrator
                            • Jun 2007
                            • All over Oz

Android Auto updated

WHAT'S NEW

• Support for cars with controller inputs and larger screen sizes
                            • Redesigned companion app helping you to learn more about Android Auto, fix problems, and change settings
                            • New tutorial
                            • Support for runtime permissions in Android 6.0 Marshmallow
                            • Several smaller bug fixes and improvements

NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• pajrex1456
                              • May 2009
                              • Box Hill South, VIC

Thanks Dave.

My issue with AutoAndroid not starting up immediately or starting only after plug/re-plug 4-5 times continues (with either one my my 2 phones). Let's hope this update will bring improvements...

rgds,
                              Tuck

Comment

• terrycrf
                                • Nov 2015
                                • Gold Coast

Hi everyone I got my new NX 2 weeks ago, and when plugging in iPhone 6Plus the system is working perfectly no flaws so far, just wish "maps" included a gps speed reading. Siri works well it reads and records messages, very impressed.
                                Just thought i would post this as other iPhone users may be wondering .
                                regards terry

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X