Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 1 Day Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfA01 View Post
I finally got some time to work on the Pajero project today. I rigged/adjusted the inhibitor switch. Everything checks out ok with the inhibitor switch and the shift cable. Still the same results.

I decided to drop the pan and have a look at the inhibitor and shift assembly to ensure everything was 100% in order. When I went to pump out the fluid via the cooler tubes there's no fluid flow. Absolutely 0 fluid leaving the tube with engine idling and in Park.
Are you sure the converter has engaged fully in the trans including the pump? Rotate when installing and two distinct engagements as it went in able to be felt - the shaft splines and then the pump drives? How much trans fluid went in?
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Just checking because the converter drives the oil pump.
So either a relief valve is stuck open (best problem to have) or pump is not working, possibly all the oil drained out of it and hasnít primed up. (Worst problem to have) If it has ran dry for a while it will probably be buggered.
Not sure about this but do the petrol and diesels run different converters, maybe in length? Converter is pulled to far forward and is not driving the pump now. I remember reading about different bell housings and input shafts somewhere on here.
From what I've understood thus far, there is a difference in stall of the torque converters, but I haven't researched if the two are physically different. Yes, the 4M engine has a different bell housing than the gasoline versions.
Old 1 Day Ago
Valued Member

Iím sure the petrol and diesel have different bellhousings, one is about 10-15mm shorter (I think the petrol one due to the shorter motor).
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Iím sure the petrol and diesel have different bellhousings, one is about 10-15mm shorter (I think the petrol one due to the shorter motor).
They are also different in shape. My curiosity is now whether the input shaft of the petrol version is different from the diesel version. I've installed a petrol version gearbox in my diesel Pajero. If the shaft is shorter, It could have moved the torque converter far enough forward that the hydro pump isn't working.

It looks like I will be be tearing it apart again if so.
Old 19 Hours Ago

When you bolted the torque converter to the flex plate did it have to move forward a fair bit? From memory when I had the auto out of my NM it was about 5mm back and the standard bolts were long enough to thread in and pull it forward. Once again from memory the pump drive is 15 to 20mm long, so if the drive has pulled out you would have had to get longer bolts to pull the converter forward to bolt it up or would have had to lever it forward probably 20 to 25mm.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto.
Basically Stock. 180k.
Heavier rear springs to tow the GGís.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto.
Basically stock. 350k.