• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • difflocker
    • Nov 2008
    • WA - KALGOORLIE

Drivers side window regulator replacement

Hi lads,
    I recently ordered from Ebay and installed a new front driver side window regulator on a 1999 Pajero NL Exceed and connected it up. I went to operate the window down (window currently closed) and pushed the button down and nothing happens.To open the window, I have to lift the switch instead of pushing it to go down. To raise the window I have to push the switch button down. Only the drivers side is doing this not the other windows.
    With my old window regulator it wasn't doing this before. Has anyone ever had this problem before? My guess is it possibly the new window regulator wired up incorrectly from manufacturerer? The window regulator is just plug and play, no mods made. Your thoughts or suggestions please on what the problem could be?
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

the regulator is from an older model Paj - one with the old style rocker switch.... if possible unplug the motor and get the plug - it should have 2 wires , use a small screwdriver or similar to remove the terminals from the plug and reverse them ---- or else cut the wires to the plug and reverse them....
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Another alternative might be to remove the terminals from inside the plug and reinsert reversed. It's tricky, but most of those plugs you can remove the terminal-you'll see a little gap that will only fit fine wire from the terminal side, not wire side. That will allow you to push against the little tab that holds terminal in while pulling gently on the wire.

That said, some of the cheaper aftermarket stuff seems to have the plastic moulded around the terminals so you can't do it-but worth a try as it's nice and neat way to do it as opposed to cutting wires

Comment

• difflocker
        • Nov 2008
        • WA - KALGOORLIE

Thanks guys, I will try this over the next day or so. So from what I understand I need to reverse the wires on the plug from the regulator motor, not the opposing plug that connects back to relay box. Correct?

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
          Another alternative might be to remove the terminals from inside the plug and reinsert reversed. It's tricky, but most of those plugs you can remove the terminal-you'll see a little gap that will only fit fine wire from the terminal side, not wire side. That will allow you to push against the little tab that holds terminal in while pulling gently on the wire.

yep that was my first comment lol..... and also the way I would do it
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Well-say it as though I'm stupid so I'll understand

I actually read that as pull open the reg and swap wires on the the motor itself....I am kind of out of it at the moment!

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

yeah my bad...... wont be able to swap the motor wires I dont think although it would be a better idea as it leaves the wiring in stock pinouts

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

No-you said it perfectly, it was my lack of comprehension! When I read what you wrote again it made perfect sense. I was trying to bag myself out with that one

Comment

• difflocker
                  • Nov 2008
                  • WA - KALGOORLIE

Ok guys with your help and advice I managed to fix the problem and I swapped the wires on the male pin terminal connector on the plug wire opposite motor regulator that feeds back into fuse/relay compartment.
                  I was unable to swap the wires on the plug (female) motor regulator side. The window now works the correct way when switch is pressed to go up or down.

I managed to pull apart the old window regulator unit. There are two metal cap covers either side with tabs on
                  them, they lift off easy by prying off with a small screwdriver. I looked inside and noticed that the plastic gear and worm drive is perfect but the rubber coupling that is attached to drive motor shaft retained by a circlip and has 3 prongs on one side has sheared, deriorated and broken up into small fragments.
                  I would of thought a better longer lasting material would of been used but like most things today you just throw away the whole complete assembly instead of replacing the worn out piece.

Comment

• Alex86
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Here and there

I’ve done about 3 regs on my Escape driver door. Done a rear. Done one on the drivers door in the shorty. Kinda practiced at it now haha.

Wish I saw this thread earlier- definitely the wire swap in the plug is the easiest thing to do.
                    Of all the replacements I’ve done, I’ve only had to not swap one (rear door).

Next time you’ve got to do it, just plug it all in, including the door switch, and see if it works correctly before putting it all back together.
                    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Ded Driver
                      • Oct 2012
                      • WA

crap window regulators sold on eBay

buyer beware. 18 months ago the motor failed in my drivers side window regulator (95 NJ) so I bought a new 1 off eBay. last week the cable in it broke.
                      Ive now bought both sides original winders in good condition from a wrecker. Idea is to use the new motor on the old regulator.
                      DED
                      99 NL 3.5L

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X