• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terryo
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

Tail light fittings

Dose any one know what this fitting is and where I could get another one from? This is a light fitting that converts the upper tail light to a brake light. I bought the tail light online from a wrecker and it had already been converted.
    If you had been looking for one from the wreckers already converted you would never had found it.
    I have been to a couple of parts stores and an auto electrician and can't find one that matches to convert the other side.
    I can't see a trade mark on it anywhere,
    Attached Files
    2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
    NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
    NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

That is a standard bulb holder from another car. They've taken that and then cut an appropriately shaped hole in the back of the tail light. You can see this from the rough finish around the hole - done with a Dremel or similar. Then just extended the wiring down to the original harness and patched in.

If you want to do the other side just pick up a bulb holder from a wrecker and do the same.

However, be aware that the lights won't be very bright because (at least the ones that I've seen) the reflector in the housing is not coated.

To coat the reflector you need to either separate the lens from the housing, which is extremely difficult because of the glue used, or paint the reflector through the hole which is painstakingly difficult and needs a brush which can be bent to the right angle to go through the hole and then reach around to get the back of the reflector. Extreme care needed also to avoid getting any paint on the lens.

Yes, I've done it. many years ago to my NH. Wouldn't bother again.

If you can get tail lights from a different country where they don't have the same regulations that require ours to be on the bumper so they're visible and not blocked by the spare, then these are likely to have the correct hole and reflector coating. If I'm correct the lights from an SWB Pajero will also have this.
    Chris

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

You could put some LED's in instead of regular incandescent bulbs. Whilst they would not be ideally located in the focal point of the reflector, it wouldn't matter that much, as long as you got a reasonably high powered LED bulb which fitted the bulb holder you bodgie up to fit. That would compensate for lack of position, whilst not overloading the regular lamp circuits.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X