• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgb
    • Feb 2013
    • Horsham

Tow bar tow tongue tow draw loose rattle tighten

In my NS and now, NX the tow bar is firmed upwards by a bolt underneath, this bolt gets compressed and burred on the top which means it cannot be removed to replace it as it becomes worn and you then get a clunk in the tow bar. I did not loosen this bolt when towing as I put stuff on and off my tow bar all the time. I removed this bolt (had to drill it out in the ns ) and made a bracket that pulls the tow bar downwards permanently working on the premise that there is more weight going downwards than upwards. The U bracket I used does bend with time so there is some force on it upwards....

I bought a u bracket and ''spreader plate'' from an industrial bolt supply.
    I had to put it in the vice and protect the thread and lever it slightly apart as these U bolt seem to be 2mm narrower at the bottom than the top.
    I bought a ''spreader plate" with the U bolt.
    I have made a couple of versions...the second one used 15mm rod,flattened on the top and some 5 mm thick flat which travels 65 mm wide along the spreader plate and 12mm upwards and angled forwards to wedge behind the square lip of the tow bar assembly (welded at an angle to go on engine side, when you tighten the U bolt this flat is what helps pull the bar down).

I am not sure if a trailer U bolt from supercheap etc would work...needs to clear 50mm.
    I cut the thread off a bit to neaten it up when fitted.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rgb; 12-09-20, 02:23 PM.
  • DibbyDibbyDJ
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2019
    • Victoria

The bolts purpose is to stop The towbar tongue rattling when not towing. You are supposed to loosen it to allow movement when towing and then Retighten when finished.
    2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
      The bolts purpose is to stop The towbar tongue rattling when not towing. You are supposed to loosen it to allow movement when towing and then Retighten when finished.
      Well bugger me, thanks mate learn something new everyday. Pin takes the load bolt is anti rattle makes sense to me.

Mine is late 2015 MY16 bolt is fine so i gather hasn't towed.

left field but today,
      Whilst cleaning up & painting tongue box section insert & anti seizing i have come to realise, no drain hole in towbar receiver, water would take quite a while to work itself out. I just washed mine pulled tongue out & of course water inside tongue box as well as towbar receiver.
      I think mine will soon possibly have a little hole to let out water
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2019
        • Victoria

Yep. so many do tow with bolt in and tight. Cutting off the welded nut and putting a new one is easiest way..... If you have a mig
        2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Toshmegosh
          • Jul 2020
          • North Shore, Sydney

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
          Well bugger me, thanks mate learn something new everyday. Pin takes the load bolt is anti rattle makes sense to me.

Mine is late 2015 MY16 bolt is fine so i gather hasn't towed.

left field but today,
          Whilst cleaning up & painting tongue box section insert & anti seizing i have come to realise, no drain hole in towbar receiver, water would take quite a while to work itself out. I just washed mine pulled tongue out & of course water inside tongue box as well as towbar receiver.
          I think mine will soon possibly have a little hole to let out water
          My hitch receiver started rusting inside within 4 months due to no drainage, fixed up and now carry tongue in cab when not towing. As for rattle bolt, take out, stretch back arm, throw as far away as possible!
          MY19 NX GLS, factory towbar, Redarc Towpro v3 & isolator, engineer certified upgrade to 300kg TBM @3T (Kings springs, Koni 82 series shocks, Airbagman HP bags) Provent 200 catch can. To come - Automate

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
            Yep. so many do tow with bolt in and tight. Cutting off the welded nut and putting a new one is easiest way..... If you have a mig
            What about cutting the head off of the bolt and putting a slot in the end of the remaining threaded part?

Then use a big screwdriver to screw the threaded piece all the way in and thus release it from the nut.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by rgb View Post
              In my NS and now, NX the tow bar is firmed upwards by a bolt underneath, this bolt gets compressed and burred on the top which means it cannot be removed to replace it as it becomes worn and you then get a clunk in the tow bar. I did not loosen this bolt when towing as I put stuff on and off my tow bar all the time. I removed this bolt (had to drill it out in the ns ) and made a bracket that pulls the tow bar downwards permanently working on the premise that there is more weight going downwards than upwards. The U bracket I used does bend with time so there is some force on it upwards....

I bought a u bracket and ''spreader plate'' from an industrial bolt supply.
              I had to put it in the vice and protect the thread and lever it slightly apart as these U bolt seem to be 2mm narrower at the bottom than the top.
              I bought a ''spreader plate" with the U bolt.
              I have made a couple of versions...the second one used 15mm rod,flattened on the top and some 5 mm thick flat which travels 65 mm wide along the spreader plate and 12mm upwards and angled forwards to wedge behind the square lip of the tow bar assembly (welded at an angle to go on engine side, when you tighten the U bolt this flat is what helps pull the bar down).

I am not sure if a trailer U bolt from supercheap etc would work...needs to clear 50mm.
              I cut the thread off a bit to neaten it up when fitted.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
              Nice job

For those that don’t have the time or tools to make one, there are commercial versions for sale for under $20 delivered - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anti-Rat...IAAOSwTKRctUNr
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Toshmegosh View Post
                As for rattle bolt, take out, stretch back arm, throw as far away as possible!

Funny you say that i've just removed mine & put in my toolbox,

See if the rattle drives me crazy or not
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Yes, that bolt is an issue and best to chuck it. Hold down brackets are available online if you don't want to make one.

https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/...20in%20seconds.

OR

At Trailer & Caravan Superstore, we stock a large range of Tow balls. With quality products, we have your towing needs covered. Shop now for fast delivery.
                  2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                    What about cutting the head off of the bolt and putting a slot in the end of the remaining threaded part?

Then use a big screwdriver to screw the threaded piece all the way in and thus release it from the nut.
                    If if was gonna move it would with a spanner. I have tried drilling and retapping.

But time is other people’s money, so grind and weld on new nut is quickest.
                    2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• symo
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Brisvegas

Anyone tried one of these ?

If you are looking for a way to reduce the annoying rattle and movement of your Towball Mount, the Hayman Reese Silent Hitch Pin is the perfect solution. Designed to fit any Hayman Reese 50mm x 50mm hitch receiver it applies lateral pressure to the hitch receiver of the towbar, creating a snug and secure fit. The resul

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by symo View Post
                        Has merit aye, see you tube

Coarse thread so shouldn't seize

Bloody keys . Roof rack keys, trailer keys, car keys, hitch lock keys, hitch reciever keys

Be good with no keys for me & they probably make one

Comment

• jkwpajero
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Young, NSW

I have been using one of the iSi bike carrier hitch stabilizer kits. No issues with noise ever. A bit fiddly to set up, but the benefit is they act as an anti theft device as well. Details are available from their website.

James
                          Attached Files
                          2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Scooby
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Ipswich, Qld.

I have done something similar. Got a heap of washers to put inside the tongue then put a bolt through it and tightened it up. The washers were a tight fit and stop the box section from crushing. I also cut some flashing tin to shim the tongue in to receiver, a strip at the top and on one side. No rattling now. Only problem is need tools to remove tongue.
                            Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• symo
                              • Jan 2012
                              • Brisvegas

Originally posted by symo View Post

Got one today.

Perfect, stops the bike rack / tow hitch from shaking and has a key lock. [emoji106]

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X