• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex15challenger
    • Jun 2020
    • Sydney

Pb/pc engine/trans mods- trans valve body, exhaust, tune etc

Wondering if anyone has had some experience with trans valve body upgrades on the pb/pc Challenger. Getting automate this week- read a lot of the forum and other info and think it will be good as the excessive tc slip is annoying and fuel inefficient- and needed for trans temp/towing.

and looking at possibly an exhaust and tune in the next year but will see on that.

Still deciding if I wanna fork out Exhaust 1200-1500 and maybe the trans valve upgrade 1300 and tune roughly 1500.
    Would look to be doing the exhaust and trans valve myself if I decide to do it. Worried about the tranny long term if I did exhaust and tune.

Thinking maybe the torqit 3" exhaust when sparesbox has the 20% off sale before a tune- rrp is 1700 but would get it for 1350. It is t304 1.7mm thick.

Thought that it might be a good idea as i plan to keep the 2015 pc for around 15 years.
    Got the car a year ago with 65k and have fitted provent 200 and egr mod and idrive. Going 2 do an intake clean myself soon as I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. Valve clearances sound fine- no smoke, good idle and fuel economy so leave that for a while- After timing belt I'd say.

Looking at getting a hayman reese towbar off a wreck but won't need 2 tow for about 3 years. And an ultragauge or scangauge in the next 12 months.

Any suggestions would be great. Cheers
    Pc 15 challenger, povent 200, egr mod, idrive, nudge bar, roof racks
  • amec
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Wamberal

Have considered the valve body change myself but have not yet been convinced to take the plunge as yet.
    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi and welcome Alex,

All modifications are not necessarialy an improvement in reliability and longevity so having a clear idea of the real purpose and reason behind any modification is a good idea. It is easy to spend a lot of money and end up with an unreliable and expensive vehicle to operate.

I had also considered a valve body replacement/upgrade as well as an exhaust and tune on many occasions over the last 8.5 years of ownership of my PB but it was concerned about the robustness of the auto trans, that caused me to hesitate.

Since having fitted Lockup Mate and then Auto Mate, I am now happy to run 38mm larger diameter tyre's. Even with the negative effects of the increase in tyre diameter, I find the stock engine output adequate in most situations. If I was towing heavy and regularly then a mild tune to increase the bottom and mid range power/torque would be a serious consideration. Exhaust upgrade and valve body upgrade are no longer on my radar.

I find the biggest deficiency on my Challenger is the slow and soft activation of the traction control system in difficult off road conditions. I do not have a factory diff lock so a rear E Locker or LSD is on the top of my major mod list.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I have the Aisin transmission rather than the Jatco in the Challenger, with a Nomad valve body from Wholesale Automatics.

I tow only rarely, but wanted a valve body for the claimed improvements to clamping forces on the transmissions clutch and brake packs.

In high range, I have nice crisp shifts that I really enjoy. In low range (with low range reduction gears) those nice crisp shifts can become neck-snappers. I'd do it again, but ask Wholesale to tune the body for milder shifts next time.

I have paddles, and can't stop using them - I'm a manual driver at heart. As such, I have a lockup-mate rather than auto-mate, because there's not point me having an aftermarket kit changing gears for me when I can't help changing them for myself.

From your description of where you're at I'd suggest leave the valve body upgrade towards the bottom of your list. Do the engine / exhaust tuning mods, buy and tune an auto-mate for the enhancements it offers, then decide if you still need a valve body.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          I do not have a factory diff lock so a rear E Locker or LSD is on the top of my major mod list.

OJ.
          Hmmm. LSD? Where would you find an LSD centre to fit your Challenger?

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            Hmmm. LSD? Where would you find an LSD centre to fit your Challenger?

Njswb has kindly given me a secondhand Hybrid Torsen LSD some time ago, I just need to get it inspected and fitted. A recent weekend away with a group of Gen 4 forum guys in the Bendlby Ranges, once again highlighted my Challengers poor TC system and lack of RDL.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Njswb has kindly given me a secondhand Hybrid Torsen LSD...
              Given? I recall that you bought dinner at the Fox.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Alex15challenger
                • Jun 2020
                • Sydney

The exhaust prices are pretty ridiculous and tranny componants wearing out is a scary thought.
                I am considering upgrades for the bottom and mid torque efficiency. but will decide in 6 months or so after installing automate next week.

If anyone knows anyone with a ultragauge on a PC Challenger it would be good to know as I'd like to message them and find out about it. The new version is mx 1.4 and I can't work out the compatabilty
                Pc 15 challenger, povent 200, egr mod, idrive, nudge bar, roof racks

Comment

• itsamitsi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Hervey Bay Queensland

I had a modded valve body in my Landcruiser from Wholesale Autos. I think the $800 odd bucks I spent on it was a waste. Slightly cleaner/crisper shifts but that was about it. No other improvements were noticed.
                  Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• amec
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Wamberal

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
                    I had a modded valve body in my Landcruiser from Wholesale Autos. I think the $800 odd bucks I spent on it was a waste. Slightly cleaner/crisper shifts but that was about it. No other improvements were noticed.
                    Thanks for that.
                    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X