• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gumbs
    • Jul 2015
    • Brisbane

PC Challenger Reverse Camera Override Switch

Has anyone fitted an override switch to turn on the stock rear view camera when driving? I regularly drive with zero revision due to kids car seats and I'm planning a long trip which we'll be heavily loaded for and I'd like to be able to leave the rear camera on when driving.

The wiring diagrams from faq.out for the challenger are only the PB and I can't find the head unit wiring. The other models in the Mitsi range seem to use can bus for remote sensing, which probably makes this a lost cause without replacing the head unit.

Has anyone done this before? I'd also like to fit up a front camera at the same time, but if I can't force the head unit to display the feed it makes it pretty pointless.
  • amec
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Wamberal

Would a changeover relay work for this?
    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• artymr2
      • Jul 2020
      • WA

I wouldn’t think the unit would have two camera inputs, although you could easily wire up a double pole relay to switch cams once the reverse wire is triggered to switch unit to display camera input

I haven’t played with the Mitsubishi but all other head units that trigger the camera view when the trigger wire goes to 12v, this would normally be the reverse signal. It would be easy to have another source of 12v and supply this input to fool the unit the car is in reverse. You can use a simple switching relay.

Also don’t forget the camera itself needs to be powered to provide the feed. It might be only powered when reverse is selected. You could provide the camera with a acc feed from the cigarette lighter socket in the back.

In a stereo install I did on another car, I powered the camera with accessories feed as the head unit had a mode for viewing the camera at any time.

Cheers

Comment

• stoneground
        • Aug 2013
        • Adelaide

For what it's worth, after replacing the head unit in my MY2014 PC the "hang up" button on the steering wheel phone controls now activates the rear view camera anytime, one press to activate, one press to deactivate - with 5s black-screen delay.
        Volume, track, mode work as usual, though "voice control" instead mutes the system.

Voice control activation and answer/hangup are now via the head unit screen.

I'm using an Aerpro https://aerpro.com/chmb2c for steering wheel control and https://stingeraustralia.com.au/prod...axmitsucam-6v/ for camera compatibility with a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit. (after finding out the Smartphone Display Audio was to much effort to retrofit - but that's another story!)

As for the stock "Display Audio" head unit, attached is a pinout diagram (unfortunately really small text but it's the only one I found) - it shows what wire does what for the camera input. That might help wiring up an activation override, or patching in a front camera.
        Attached Files
        2015 MY14 Auto PC Challenger base model, 265/70R16 MT STZ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X