• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Sat nav's again: my solution

Having been asked recently a few times what path to go down, I went down the rabbit hole myself in search of answers:

So I have been asked a bit lately what would I recommend in regards to sat nav in your vehicle. Would I recommend a hema such as the HN7, a ...
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • aaron.miller
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Epping, NSW

Regarding having the tablet in portrait mode, one gotcha that afflicts the iPad and may affect your tablet, if your wearing polarising sunglasses the screen goes black. So you have to either lift your glasses temporarily or have the iPad in landscape.
    2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• sharkcaver
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Originally posted by aaron.miller View Post
      Regarding having the tablet in portrait mode, one gotcha that afflicts the iPad and may affect your tablet, if your wearing polarising sunglasses the screen goes black. So you have to either lift your glasses temporarily or have the iPad in landscape.
      yes, good point. I need to check this on my way home today.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• wasarangie
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Ocean Grove

Have to agree that Here we go is a very good navigation software package. How long it will be free is a question though.
        I have used it since it was in Beta form and under a different name. But with all good things it was sold to a couple of European car manufacturers and then changed name. I have not found a track that it does not know.
        Setting your camp as home and having turn by turn navigation back to it can be very handy as well.

Your tablet setup looks very good, I will be looking at something like that for the Ranger soon.
        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• ticky
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

This is my solution, and also uses HERE We Go, (formally HERE) Maps.

It's a little on the pricey side, which is why my solution is still on my wanted list.

GPS Navigation system with 7” Touch-screen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto & Bluetooth. Apple CarPlay™ Compatible Android Auto™ Compatible DAB+ Digital Radio Dual Camera Inputs Dual USB Inputs

The RRP is $2000, but I have seen them for under $1100. Now if I just had about a Grand in the Hand, I could probably afford one of these.

Steve
          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

looks good.now you can find your way cross country AND across the city!
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by wasarangie
              Your tablet setup looks very good, I will be looking at something like that for the Ranger soon.
              The tablet itself was cheap enough @ $200 on special - its now back to $277. Ozi being $32 (or you could just use the trial for free if needed). Here we go, a free download. But you have to take into account maps will cost unless you can "acquire" some. That's why some apps may be better for others and why the HN7 and the like might be a better proposition if you don't already have a range of digital maps. Add the cost of ram mounting it like I did, and the cost starts to add up quickly. It will be interesting to see how my mate likes it - he bought a HN7 last year.

So a Tab may not be for everyone. And it remains to be seen how long it lasts too. Another reason for maybe investing a bit more for a samsung. Time will tell I guess.

Originally posted by Aaron
              Regarding having the tablet in portrait mode, one gotcha that afflicts the iPad and may affect your tablet, if your wearing polarising sunglasses the screen goes black.
              I experienced this once on SteveMC181's nexus 7. I went to put some stuff on it for him on a trip we did away once. I kept asking him how the bloody hell do you turn it on. He said take your glasses off...well bugger me, it was on all the time......that was bizarre.

I tested mine this arvo with my polarised glasses. All good there...Phew. It remains to be seen if it stays that way if I add either a glass or plastic film screen protector to it.

Originally posted by ticky View Post
              This is my solution, and also uses HERE We Go, (formally HERE) Maps.

It's a little on the pricey side, which is why my solution is still on my wanted list.

GPS Navigation system with 7” Touch-screen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto & Bluetooth. Apple CarPlay™ Compatible Android Auto™ Compatible DAB+ Digital Radio Dual Camera Inputs Dual USB Inputs

The RRP is $2000, but I have seen them for under $1100. Now if I just had about a Grand in the Hand, I could probably afford one of these.

Steve
              The pioneer is certainly pricey - even on special. I put a cheapo dig options in the NP. That had both Igo and OziCe running on it. It was pretty good really having it all in the dash.

The problem being that I found 7" D.Din just a bit too small. Sure you could zoom in easy enough to see clearly, but then you lost your field of view.

The head unit in the NX is bloody huge. A double Din would look well outa place there I reckon. If there was a drop in replacement, same size as oem for that, I'd consider it (there probably is, no doubt wanting drug money for it). Width wise would probably be equivalent to an 8" tab. Not so much height wise though.

Originally posted by kiwiNT
              looks good.now you can find your way cross country AND across the city!
              Well I'm not real happy with this android car play crap on the NX. Nor do I want to use data on my phone for routable maps with google maps. If you could run non google Apps, I might be happier with that head unit. But looks like I'm sorted there now with Here We Go. It has a better address search than Igo. But its not fool proof either. I was thinking of a Preston Beach run on sunday and tried to find White Hill Rd on it. No go there. I manually scrolled to the said place and manually marked the spot. So if you know where you are going, there should be a work around if its address database doesn't help.
              Last edited by sharkcaver; 21-07-17, 08:57 PM.

My Journeys

Comment

• ticky
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

Just wondering if your Tablet has a GPS chip in it or does it rely on Data / Cellular for mapping?

Steve
                2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                  Just wondering if your Tablet has a GPS chip in it or does it rely on Data / Cellular for mapping?

Steve
                  Sharkcavers Lenovo tablet had gps but no compass..follow his link to another blog. I have the Hema hn7 and find it good to use. It takes some getting used to (in 4wd mode) as there is a lot that can be done with it BUT if not used frequently can be a little frustrating! I though along the same lines as Sharkcaver with regards to a tablet. I have a samsung 7inch so its no bigger than the Hema. The beauty of the Hema is that it is mounted on the dash and is easy to read whilst driving without haveing to look down towards centre of dash. Many comments have been that the HN7 is a better buy than the newer HX series as the older model allows custom maps. Apparently the new version does not. I reckon an 8inch samsung with 4 gcapabilities, ozi explorer, wikicamps and the hema/oziexplorer maps along with a good windscreen attachment would be a great allround set up Load up a good urban mapping programme and off you go for under $500.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dhula
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • South of Perth

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                    But looks like I'm sorted there now with Here We Go. It has a better address search than Igo. But its not fool proof either. I was thinking of a Preston Beach run on sunday and tried to find White Hill Rd on it. No go there. I manually scrolled to the said place and manually marked the spot. So if you know where you are going, there should be a work around if its address database doesn't help.
                    Here We Go on my phone, 7in tab and 10in tab (all Samsung) find it. Maybe your map needs an update perhaps.
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                      Here We Go on my phone, 7in tab and 10in tab (all Samsung) find it. Maybe your map needs an update perhaps.
                      I just downloaded it from their site a couple of days ago, so I would think its current

My Journeys

Comment

• wasarangie
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Ocean Grove

I was thinking of a Preston Beach run on sunday and tried to find White Hill Rd on it. No go there. I manually scrolled to the said place and manually marked the spot. So if you know where you are going, there should be a work around if its address database doesn't help.
                        Just tried this on my Sony. Just entered "White Hill road", came up with a few options and it is listed as Bouvard WA, not Preston beach.

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                          Just tried this on my Sony. Just entered "White Hill road", came up with a few options and it is listed as Bouvard WA, not Preston beach.
                          That figures, White Hill rd is in Bouvard. Preston Bch was the terminating end of the run.

Hmmm, interesting. Mine had a tassie and a victorian addy for white hill rd but nothing in WA. Its in the car atm, will have another play in the morning.

My Journeys

Comment

• wasarangie
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • Ocean Grove

That figures, White Hill rd is in Bouvard. Preston Bch was the terminating end of the run.

Hmmm, interesting. Mine had a tassie and a victorian addy for white hill rd but nothing in WA. Its in the car atm, will have another play in the morning.
                            Try putting the town/area in first. So in the search bar type the location as "Preston Beach, White Hill rd" or "WA, White Hill Rd" This should be the solution. For some reason typing it with the street first is causing an issue.

Interesting that on a cheap Chinese tablet I cannot find it by searching "White Hill Rd in WA" at all, but searching as described above works. Same software so don't know why.
                            Last edited by wasarangie; 23-07-17, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Still no joy for me on that front

Anyway, I bought a bluetooth GPS module from Amazon to trial. I wasn't happy with the flakey speed reading from ozi android and suspected the internal GPS wasn't getting the signal it needed for a seamless transition of data.

So enter the globalsat BT-821.

It arrived in under a week from the states. Gotta be happy with that. It also arrived yesterday (a Saturday - which surprised me), an hour before work. So I quickly paired it with all my android devices and took it for a 115Km run at work.

Now the HDop and number of sat's didn't seem to improve, but the fix did last longer in tunnels and under overhead concrete structures.

What a difference it made in the speed output reading. I therefore suggest the whole tracklog is more complete and accurate. Which to me seems to suggest even a budget tab without an internal gps, as long as it has bluetooth, could be pushed into sat nav usage. I cant answer the question on how well the lower processing power a budget tab would have in regards to running ozi.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X