Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 08-05-16

At a guess, i would say that the mounting locations on the body of gen 3 and 4 pajeros would still be the weakest link and would break there or bend when sliders were installed in the case of a major accident.
I have just remade my steps by removing the pressed metal part of the factory steps and replacing it with 40x40mm rhs with the plastic step installed back over the top.
Looks factory from the top but shouldn't bend too easily if it gets caught on a rock or drop off.
I got the idea from someone else on the forum. I do like the look of the bushskinz though.
Cheers
Ben
2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers
Old 08-05-16

@ littleriver
I took a look at the Roosystems rock silders and ther doesn't seem to be a Pajero one.

A article I was reading suggest that rock sliders add strength to the truck which can cause miss readings in the air bag sensors by amplifying the effects of hits to the rock sliders and causing the side airbag to deploy.

Would it be possible/legal to get a rock slider from a truck (Triton?) which is air bag compatible and adapt it to fit the Pajero.

Found this thread which helps to add to the subject

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=5311
MY14 GLX-R Pajero, Brown Davis Intercoola & Sump Plates, Bushskinz Rear Bumper Protector, Bushskinz Transmission & Transfer Plates, ARB Bullbar, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, IPF XS 901 Spotties, OME shocks with 40mm Lift, Cooper AT3, Ultra Guage,Stedi ST4000 Light Bar

Enjoy Every Sunrise, Enjoy Every Sunset

Our Travels

Last edited by Pajaru; 08-05-16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-05-16
Valued Member

I would hunt out a set that match the vehicle.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 09-05-16

Default The 'illegal mod' factor

I really want to get Bushskinz rocksliders for the GLX-R with side airbags, but the lack of certified airbag compatibility worries me. I'm satisfied that there is little safety impact, but I'd hate to have an unrelated insurance claim refused on the basis of an illegal mod discovered by the assessor.

I'm disappointed in the soft plastic trim on my factory steps, and can see them getting destroyed even by sticks pretty quick. I may have to resign myself to just replacing them every few years.

Just a thought - I expect they don't do destructive testing for airbag compatibility, and would just use an ADR engineer's assessment? I wonder that if this is indeed the case, are there enough of us to make chipping-in cost effective means to have this done?

Last edited by serapax; 09-05-16 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-05-16
Valued Member

Here is a thought. Most if not all air bag sensors work on sudden decelleration either via mechanical or electrical means. The sensors themselves do not have to be bumped. I cannot see how a rock slider will diminish the amount of G force/decelleration experienced by the sensor. It may in fact increase the affect and may trigger the airbags unnecessarily.

BTW, most if not all cars have side intrusion bars which are solid pieces of metal across the frames of the doors. These bars are usually located at the same or similar hieghts to the sensors. Unlike the front and rear of vehicles, the is no crumple zone on the sides. At best, the panels are designed to deform in a way to act like a crumple zone.

I don't think a rock slider will stop the following:

Last edited by vladguan; 09-05-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-05-16

I don't think anyone should get too bent out of shape about the whole airbag compatibility deal....
I have been out of the gen parts game for a little bit (6 years) but up until then ONLY vehicle manufacturers had to do destructive vehicle testing on accessories that may affect air bag operation.

Yep, when a Genuine bull bar/steps etc are said to be air bag compatible - they are... Manufacturers had to prove it twice by smashing 2 vehicles - if it didn't work try again....Little wonder they are gold plated when development costs include a minimum of two written off vehicles.

Unlike the aftermarket - they have to do a mere pendulum test on there accessories - bar bolted down and a big weight belted into the front of it - impact measured etc etc...
Not on a vehicle at all.
Somehow a pass using this test gives airbag compatibility bragging rights.

So when ARB and the like claim air bag compatability - there is no physical proof their products will not effect airbag operation - and how would you ever know....

Legislation at it's best people
Old 10-05-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam351 View Post
I don't think anyone should get too bent out of shape about the whole airbag compatibility deal....
I have been out of the gen parts game for a little bit (6 years) but up until then ONLY vehicle manufacturers had to do destructive vehicle testing on accessories that may affect air bag operation.

Yep, when a Genuine bull bar/steps etc are said to be air bag compatible - they are... Manufacturers had to prove it twice by smashing 2 vehicles - if it didn't work try again....Little wonder they are gold plated when development costs include a minimum of two written off vehicles.

Unlike the aftermarket - they have to do a mere pendulum test on there accessories - bar bolted down and a big weight belted into the front of it - impact measured etc etc...
Not on a vehicle at all.
Somehow a pass using this test gives airbag compatibility bragging rights.

So when ARB and the like claim air bag compatability - there is no physical proof their products will not effect airbag operation - and how would you ever know....

Legislation at it's best people

Good post mate....Legislation and advertising....bullshit at its best and manufacturers will say and do anything to get your dollars...
Old 14-03-17

Agree with the above guys, but its also about not giving a reason for your insurance company to deny your claim. And believe me they will do anything they can to wiggle out of it. I have been through 2 months of investigations when I had a car written off. They eventually replaced it when they decided they'd wasted enough time and resources trying to find a way out.

So if I was going to buy rock sliders, I'd want a pair that were ADR compliant to save my own ass if in the unlikely scenario of dealing with dodgy insurance companies (ie all of them)

Other toy: 2015 BMW S1000RR
Old 18-03-17

Default Ras soar sliders

I have rasslar sliders fitted to my pc and they have saved the sills from any damage but the powder coating is very poor and chipped off in places within weeks of fitting without any off-road work.when I went back and pointed this out they refused to repair or re coat them and just said come back when they rust.sorry rasslar you will never see me or my wallet again.
Old 05-10-17

Just an update re my sliders.Rob at Rasslar discovered a supplier had supplied an incorrect primer for their powdercoating and this caused the chipping.I took my rockslides in and they stripped them and recoated them free of charge.they look new again.well done Rasslar