Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 06-05-16

Question Rock Sliders to do or not to do

First of let me say that I am not trying to do any businesses out of sales, what I hoping to achieve is a better understanding of the pros and cons on fitting rock sliders to my Pajero.

First of air bag compatibility. It seems most rock sliders are not. My understanding is that this places insurance at risk, in that insurance companies may not insure or refuse insurance on a truck that has these fitted. Not to mention air bags not deploying in a accident.

Aluminum side steps, I presume these can not take the same punishment as steel rock sliders, but I see that you can get air bag compatible ones.
  • So are Aluminum side steps better than the factory side steps.
  • Are there steel air bag compatible rock sliders available for the pajero.
and most importantly,
  • how many members on this forum have non air bag compatible rock sliders/side steps fitted to their truck that has side air bags.
  • Is it better to have the protection of steel rock sliders and worry about any other issues if you every need to.
MY14 GLX-R Pajero, Brown Davis Intercoola & Sump Plates, Bushskinz Rear Bumper Protector, Bushskinz Transmission & Transfer Plates, ARB Bullbar, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, IPF XS 901 Spotties, OME shocks with 40mm Lift, Cooper AT3, Ultra Guage,Stedi ST4000 Light Bar

Enjoy Every Sunrise, Enjoy Every Sunset

Our Travels
Old 06-05-16
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Airbags and sliders......lalalalalala, did someone say something (pulls head out of the sand)

If you go off road, you will be surprised just how easy oem or alloy steps bend.

I personally think they look much better lifted without any steps at all, but you loose the practicality of sill protection and a handy step to get into the vehicle with. You dont even need to hit anything. Gravel rash (which you should be fairly acquainted with over here) will strip the sills of paint very quick.

2 Paj's now I've owned with side airbags and I wouldn't be without steel steps on either.

Just my opinion, others may have a different take.

Back to putting my head in the sand....lalalalalala , did someone mention side airbags

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 06-05-16
Valued Member

Safety first means avoiding just about any after market accessory as without extensive crash testing you can never be sure what effect things will have.

Rocksliders are on the side so you very little crumple zone therefore you are still in for a hell of a large number of Gs regardless. Air bags work on many factors so hard to predict if they will fire earlier or later. Given many solid chassis vehicles have airbags with these chassis rails somewhat stronger than most rocksliders I personally think the difference might be minor but as said without testing just my assumption. The Pajero is a utility construction so might behave differently. But then so will what hits you. Modern crumple zone car versus old truck with bullbar. Much prefer been clobbered by the first but fate will govern that eventuality.

Off road my rock sliders have saved a small fortune in sill damage so a fan. Though I did think long and hard about the side impact effect.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 06-05-16
Valued Member

I am with Ent on this, the sensor for the side airbag is in the "B"pillar and it must detect the impact forces on the side of the car, whether it is a pole, tree trunk, a car or a concrete wall and anywhere between the front and rear wheels. There is already various different crush so I do not see aftermarket side steps effecting the deployment of the side airbags.

My factory side steps are looking a bit secondhand but they have had 4&1/2 years of off-roading and they have certainly saved the sills from damage. Only reason I have not fitted aftermarket sliders is weight, as I am trying to save on extra weight and preserve my payload.

cheers, OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 06-05-16
Valued Member

I was looking for an old post from OJ regarding the rock sliders and ADR's, found it here. Is this still relevant OJ? http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...00&postcount=6

Personally I can't see how the Bushskinz sliders would affect the deployment of airbags or in anyway be illegal? They bolt straight up to the factory mounting points and are worth their weight in gold when you come down hard while in Mountain goat country! The factory steps bend like a banana with very little effort, they should be called gravel deflectors!

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | UFI Remap |
Old 06-05-16
Valued Member

Roosystems is advertising ADR compliant side steps ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6pKEorPpKQ ... maybe worth a look ...
Old 06-05-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
I was looking for an old post from OJ regarding the rock sliders and ADR's, found it here. Is this still relevant OJ? http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...00&postcount=6

Personally I can't see how the Bushskinz sliders would affect the deployment of airbags or in anyway be illegal? They bolt straight up to the factory mounting points and are worth their weight in gold when you come down hard while in Mountain goat country! The factory steps bend like a banana with very little effort, they should be called gravel deflectors!
Yes Steve, I believe the post is still current as ADR 72.00 dates back to 2005 and has not been amended.

Regards, OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 06-05-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaru View Post
First of let me say that I am not trying to do any businesses out of sales, what I hoping to achieve is a better understanding of the pros and cons on fitting rock sliders to my Pajero.

First of air bag compatibility. It seems most rock sliders are not. My understanding is that this places insurance at risk, in that insurance companies may not insure or refuse insurance on a truck that has these fitted. Not to mention air bags not deploying in a accident.

Aluminum side steps, I presume these can not take the same punishment as steel rock sliders, but I see that you can get air bag compatible ones.
  • So are Aluminum side steps better than the factory side steps.
  • Are there steel air bag compatible rock sliders available for the pajero.
and most importantly,
  • how many members on this forum have non air bag compatible rock sliders/side steps fitted to their truck that has side air bags.
  • Is it better to have the protection of steel rock sliders and worry about any other issues if you every need to.
I think that the first thing anyone needs to do is just have a look at a set of sliders. Let's use the Bushskinz ones as an example since they are probably the most popular, at least for Gen 3 & 4.

They're made with a fairly solid section of square tube which is mounted with brackets to the sub-frame directly above, Wall thickness of the tube and the alignment of the brackets means that they're quite strong and able to comfortably resist low speed direct impacts and sliding over things that may otherwise cause damage to the sills.

They have an outer tube that forms the base for a step and while that tube is also reasonably heavy gauge it actually doesn't take first impact. That's the job of the square tube directly under the brackets.

Now consider that while the slider is well able to take impact forces of a few tonnes in low speed hits, the impact force of that Camry that is about to T-bone you at 60km/h is well over 70 tonnes. No rock slider will ever be able to take that kind of force, especially from the side. So, that rock slider is probably just going to tear off its mounts, contributing very little to impact absorption, just as the factory step would.

As far as I know there is no such thing as an "air bag compatible slider", which means that 100% of those people with sliders have a technically non-compatible system. I'd rather have my sliders than not have them though.
Old 07-05-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFT5 View Post
I think that the first thing anyone needs to do is just have a look at a set of sliders. Let's use the Bushskinz ones as an example since they are probably the most popular, at least for Gen 3 & 4.

They're made with a fairly solid section of square tube which is mounted with brackets to the sub-frame directly above, Wall thickness of the tube and the alignment of the brackets means that they're quite strong and able to comfortably resist low speed direct impacts and sliding over things that may otherwise cause damage to the sills.

They have an outer tube that forms the base for a step and while that tube is also reasonably heavy gauge it actually doesn't take first impact. That's the job of the square tube directly under the brackets.

Now consider that while the slider is well able to take impact forces of a few tonnes in low speed hits, the impact force of that Camry that is about to T-bone you at 60km/h is well over 70 tonnes. No rock slider will ever be able to take that kind of force, especially from the side. So, that rock slider is probably just going to tear off its mounts, contributing very little to impact absorption, just as the factory step would.

As far as I know there is no such thing as an "air bag compatible slider", which means that 100% of those people with sliders have a technically non-compatible system. I'd rather have my sliders than not have them though.
ARB sliders are sold as Air Bag Compatable

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 07-05-16
Valued Member

There are two side impact some sensors. One is located half way up the rear door near its leading edge and the other is just above the rear arch, after the rear door, in similar height to the other one. Both should not be affected by rock sliders.