• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Please school me on Android vs WinCE headunits

I'm still procrastinating / dreaming of upgrading the Paj's MMCS (v1) system.

Both operating systems apaear to be around the same price but the Android units appear to have MUCH faster processors.

There are many brands/sellers, but take the Exntix's Pajero units for example-
    Android $933.90 - dual core 1.6GHz CPU - 1GB ram (http://www.extnix.com.au/extnix-andr...inment-system/)
    WinCE $998.80 - 600GHz CPU (single core I assume?) - 128MB ram (http://www.extnix.com.au/extnix-mits...inment-system/)

Would this mean that the Android unit would be more than twice as fast as the WinCE unit? Am I missing something?

Also, can someone with an Android unit please confirm if they can be easily configured to auto load the last used GPS/mapping program (ie Oziexplorer or the on-road navigation) on startup without 'operator input'?

I know that the WinCE units have this capacity and I HATE the fact that you have to agree to the MMCS' disclaimer on every startup just to see the map

Thanx
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

WinCE is dead as an operating system. Android is much better.

Don't expect massive gains in performance. WinCE was very light on resources, intentionally so, while some apps in Android can really tax those processors, which aren't nearly as fast as they might seem on paper. The range of apps is astonishing though and you can do amazing things on an Android system.

And, yes, they will restart on the last used application.
    Chris

Comment

• tonymOz
      • May 2013
      • Perth

Geopaj,

I'm investigating the same thing. I had a look at your option - seems really expensive as I can see the same unit on eBay for half the price -
      have a look here:

and for a full android with all the bells and whistles and then some:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for JOYING Android 5.1 Single din 2GB 8" Car radio mirror link BT DAB SD OBD2 USB at the best online prices at eBay!

admittedly not a named brand but aren't they all built in China now a days.

There's tons of options out there - I suppose it's up to you what you need - I'm quite keen on this

but it will need one of these as well

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for for MITSUBISHI PAJERO Stereo Fascia Facia Surround Radio Dash Trim Adapter 2din at the best online prices at eBay!

Good luck - it's a mine field out there. Google is your friend (as is the Pajero club)

2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Thanks guys.

The Extnix units were just 'easy' examples (I know they are far from the cheapest).

I should have added what I want from a headunit;
        + 7 inch plus screen
        + ability to run Oziexplorer
        + ability to run on-road navigation (ie iGo)
        + AM and FM radio
        + play music off a USB
        + use steering wheel controls
        + Bluetooth would be nice too

At this stage, I'm not interested in adding additional 'apps' and complicating things.
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• dbdb
          • Aug 2008
          • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
          Thanks guys.

The Extnix units were just 'easy' examples (I know they are far from the cheapest).

I should have added what I want from a headunit;
          + 7 inch plus screen
          + ability to run Oziexplorer
          + ability to run on-road navigation (ie iGo)
          + AM and FM radio
          + play music off a USB
          + use steering wheel controls
          + Bluetooth would be nice too

At this stage, I'm not interested in adding additional 'apps' and complicating things.
          What he said, plus running Android 5 + and interface to the steering wheel hands free controls would be awesome.
          14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
          04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• grhyso
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Perth

My only experience from running an android unit (Parrot Asteroid Smart) is get one with good hardware. Mine is super slow and painful, it is also only running android 2.3 which generally isn't an issue except a few apps haven't been backwards compatible. Also the 6.2" screen mine has is too small and made smaller as the control buttons take up a little space on the left. So my recommendations would be:
            -7" screen, 8" would be perfect but not sure if the Pajero's dash could fit one in.
            -Better than 800x480 resolution (looks like a few are 1024x600 or so now)
            -Physical volume knob
            -large internal space or SD card capable (I think all are just mine the iGo can only be used on the 8gb SD card they supplied with the unit and I want more space for maps.
            -USB capable of running either a large USB stick or a small hard drive, Best thing about my unit is having 150-200GB of music all searchable by voice control.
            -Good quality sound, (this is what scared me away from chinese units)
            -Google Play, (mine doesn't have it so I have to 'sideload' apps. basically I have to install an app on my phone, use an apk extractor the creat an install file for it then tranfer that to the stereo and install. Generally pay for apps don't work which sucks, I want to install hema explorer on mine as it auto syncs all maps, routes, waypoints etc once in wifi range compared to physically downloading every track and running it back and forth between my computer and my car)
            - Be able to use steering wheel controls. I have a connects2 unit and I have full use of all buttons on the dash including the bluetooth phone on the bottom. They are all programable in my unit also, I would try find out if htey are programable in other units.

Here's my review of the Asteroid - http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=40312 I probably need to update this now.
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• mrbitchi
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Brisbane

AFAIK Igo only runs on WinCE..
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• grhyso
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Perth

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                AFAIK Igo only runs on WinCE..
                My android unit has igo primo from factory.
                2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• mrbitchi
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                  My android unit has igo primo from factory.
                  Cool. That's good to know
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                  Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X