• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadBison
    • Jun 2015
    • Australia

Maps - Any clear winner?

Hello

I have done a lot of research on maps, and there are a lot of options, but I am not sure I have found a clear winner.

1) EOTopo from http://www.exploroz.com
    2) OzTopo from http://www.oztopo.com.au/
    3) Shonky Maps from http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/
    4) NatMaps from http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=31879
    5) LPI Maps from http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/mapping_an...aps_and_photos
    6) HEMA and Explorer maps from http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/aussie.html

Anyone have any info on the best option?

The free Natmaps are worth a try, and I will give them a go first.

Are the EOTopo worth the cost? Are they just the Natmaps repackaged?

Is the Hema worth it given the expense and the limited devices to run on before having to buy again? I am leaning towards just buying the Hema Explorer App from the Android App Store instead of buying those maps. Far chaper. Are they the same?

Thanks for any help.

David
    Pajero NX
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

Where do you want maps for? Example i have found hema and natmaps pretty well useless for anything within 2hours of perth but look towards the kimberley or the desert and they are much better than my openstreetmaps.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• GOSSAMER
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • doncaster east vic

First of all what device and what program? how much detail do you want? i find SV Maps and rooftop pretty good for Victoria but different maps offer different info.
      Back from the Dark side
      NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I bought a HEMA 7 and all the maps pre loaded. Have downloaded other maps from Garmin. Good unit. Happy enough with it. Few issues with colour backgrounds but used to it now. Bit pricey but it,ll do.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• cookie9
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Central Coast NSW

Unfortunately I dont think there is one clear winner!

I mostly use hema explorer app on my android tablet, its was about $40 on special including all the extra downloadedable content, ie fraser island, vic high country etc. its main limitation are the detail maps, being Nokia here maps. I dont understand why hema dont release the maps they use in the IOS Hema 4wD. Its cloud functionality is great, pre-trip planning etc, making routes. I'm pretty OCD and like planning things out so the online hema functionality is worth the money alone! Its really down to the maps and sometimes resort to Oziexplorer or paper maps as a result when hema is clearly wrong.

I have many Garmin maps (for my MTB gps) but there is no apps on android that can use them. I've been very tempted to purchase a garmin NAV unit to replace the tablet as from what I've seen they are excellent.

Orux app on android is promising, it can use online maps and oz2 topo maps but again, its not perfect and doesnt have as polished online cloud syncing!

Be interested to see what comes of this discussion!
          Last edited by cookie9; 09-06-15, 01:36 PM. Reason: more thougts
          2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

I am into map making now for quite a few years for exactly the problems mentioned here.
            Some parks offer now PDF maps for GPS use, at least here in VIC.
            They are not the best in terms of colors but are accurate and up to date, especially closed tracks.
            The providers of digital maps have one big problem in this country: there is not a single provider of up to date data they can use to make a map.
            Hema for example is mostly based on really old paper maps where staff is confirming new tracks.
            This means a lot of areas are untouched for many years, I found that out the hard way when comapring 2008 maps with those from 2012.
            OPSM is getting better every year but relies on input from people in the form of track recordings - most people only bother to complain a track is missing but can't be bothered to record it.
            Providers like Rooftop and and some other offer their paper maps in digital form for GPS use - if up to date they are the best option in terms of details and extra infos.

Let's face it:
            Most of us won't go for a trip covering all of AU.
            So detailed maps of the regions we are interested in are required.
            Main tracks are often already included in normal road maps, so only the areas off the good tracks are needed.
            If the area is not too big and you don't require 100% accuracy maps created from Google maps work quite well but need a lot of storage space as they are raster maps (literally images).

A good alternative are programs that offer the use of OVI maps.
            Formerly owned completely by Nokia they have a really good balance between road and track coverage.
            And best of all there will be turn by turn directions.
            With access to a scanner or by using a copy shop, paper maps can converted into good quality images.
            Load them into Ozi Explorer and use the Datum and Prjection details together with the coordinates in the map to calibrate.
            A big map made up of 8 to 12 images can be ready to go in less than 2 hours....
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
            Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• supazuk
              • Jun 2014
              • Katherine

I use the app avenza pdf maps and have my phone loaded with hema maps
              and every pastrol, parks and ALT maps for the NT.

Works great for what I do

Hema maps are good for general stuff

While I make pdf maps at work with the info I need like fence lines, tracks, rivers, water points etc.
              easy to build online and stick onto a phone or iPad

2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• mts247
                • May 2015
                • NEVic

I use ORUX Maps for android. There are lots of different maps available and you'll need to sort through to find a good one. but it does take some getting used to and you do need to pick a zoom level and scroll around where you intend to go while you have service/wifi then you have offline maps... also be wary of updating he app as they seem to change some maps the are available and you might lose access to the one you use. i use it because its free but i will be getting some hema type 4wd map books as a back up and for planning.

feel free to PM me if you want any tips on Orux, i'm no expert but i have been using it for a few years now.

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

Osm can be very good if a mapper lives in the area. Only trouble us the best maps are ones you roll your own but that takes a lot of mucking around. Only Garmin format is supported.
                  2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• grhyso
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Perth

I use orux also and i won't explain here but if anyone wants to know how to get the old maps available again it's very easy to do with a google search. The maps source file is a text file that can be edited to show most online map sources, personally i have google maps, google satellite, google terrain, bing satellite, bing maps, topo4u.

I have recently bought a samsung tablet and installed hema explorer on it and my phone. It uses here maps satellite and road mapping at close zooms which is actually really good and in some areas better than openandromaps on orux and definitely better than google maps. It also autosyncs so i save a waypoint on my tablet and it shows up on the cloud based website on my computer and on my phone. Just need to test if i can sideload it onto my android headunit as that's a pain for loading and downloading waypoints and tracks.
                    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X