• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TDB007
    • Sep 2009
    • SE Qld

Hema Navigator HN7 Battery

Can anyone point me to any information about whether it is possible to replace the battery on a Hema HN7 without sending it to Hema?

I've done searches here and on the web generally, but can't find anything much at all. (Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right spot, since I usually can't find what I'm looking for in the fridge or cupboard either.)

My HN7 is out of warranty, and I'm reluctant to just sent it to Hema.
    NT Di-D GLS, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, OME Suspension, Nitto Terra Grapplers, some other stuff, and a Cub Brumby out the back.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by TDB007 View Post
    Can anyone point me to any information about whether it is possible to replace the battery on a Hema HN7 without sending it to Hema?

I've done searches here and on the web generally, but can't find anything much at all. (Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right spot, since I usually can't find what I'm looking for in the fridge or cupboard either.)

My HN7 is out of warranty, and I'm reluctant to just sent it to Hema.

I,d just send it to hema for new battery. Ask if they could do an update as well. I,ve tried some of these gadgets and have been left red faced when the new part hasnt gone according to plan. Give em a ring and see how much it costs. Good luck.

FOR HN6....https://www.ourtraveldiaries.info/in...-hema-hn6-gps/
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Onslow
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

Follow this link to Hema's tech support:

Submit a ticket and wait for the reply before following their instructions to send your HN7 back. They will replace your battery and upgrade all your maps to the latest versions while they have it.
      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

There was a story on the news here tonight about a house fire caused by a lap top left charging overnight. Turns out it was an after market battery bought on eBay. I'd stick with the genuine part.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
          There was a story on the news here tonight about a house fire caused by a lap top left charging overnight. Turns out it was an after market battery bought on eBay. I'd stick with the genuine part.

Like an original samsung battery Ian?....lol
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• TDB007
            • Sep 2009
            • SE Qld

Update - the latest

Thanks for all the advice.

I haven't sent it back to Hema yet. My Hema power cord had died, and I was using a non-Hema supply (bought because I was away form home and needed the HN7 to work there and then). I don't think the HN7 was getting quite enough juice, sending the battery slowly flat with use. The performance became very erratic.

I charged it up by leaving it on a portable 12V battery for a few days. It seems to be behaving now, provided I use a higher-amperage USB outlet. If the problems recur, I'll be sending it back to Hema, as per the advice.
            NT Di-D GLS, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, OME Suspension, Nitto Terra Grapplers, some other stuff, and a Cub Brumby out the back.

Comment

• Onslow
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Perth, Western Australia

The HN7 requires a 2amp power supply to charge properly. If you're using a non-Hema cord it may only be 1amp or less which is probably why you have had charging problems. If you're trying to use it while you're charging it on this cord it will make the problem even worse as it will be using more power than you are putting in.
              NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

I just replaced the battery in my hn7 last week. Relatively easy. Bought this battery...

and a roll of double sided tape.
                Undid the 4 small Phillips head screws and pried unit apart with a butter knife. Battery is soldered to board. However I cut the wires near the old battery end and this left about 50mm of wire still soldered to mainboard. I stripped some wire back, twisted it and then folded it back on to itself. I then pushed the corresponding wires into the plug on the battery and folded insulation tape over to hold in place. Double sided tape was put on to hold battery into place and I also used the double sided tape to hold the rubber cushion (taken off old battery) into place on the new battery. Worked out well and battery now holds charge...Old one was 3 years old.
                Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• TDB007
                  • Sep 2009
                  • SE Qld

Hi, Dicko.

Thanks very much for this info. My HN7 is still struggling on after I did the long-term recharge. I am also making sure I use use a higher amp usb outlet for the non-Hema cable.

But I have made a note of your instructions because I think it will only be a matter of time before I need to replace it.

Cheers,
                  TDB

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X