• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoonman
    • Nov 2015
    • Canberra

Winch Sizes and Bullbars

I was speaking to Opposite Lock today about bullbars and winches for my Challenger and was told that no 12000lb winch will fit in a bullbar for a Challenger because they're "too big". They said I could only get a 9500lb winch and funnily enough happen to have a special going on VRS winches.....you get the idea. I felt like I was being upsold but maybe I'm too cynical.

Anyway I wanted to look into this a bit more, so compared the dimensions of the VRS winch to the 4WD Supacentre Domin8tor 12000lb winch as follows:

Domin8tor 537mm x 160mm x 218mm, 26m x 9.5mm rope, 27kg
    VRS 552mm x 168mm x 214mm, 30m x 9mm rope, 31kg

Now it seems to me based on the dimensions that apart from 4mm on one measurement, the Domin8tor is smaller in every way.

Am I missing something? Is there more to a winch fitting in a bar than it's physical dimensions?

I should add that I'm not looking for comments on quality or reliability of winches, just the fitting issue.
    SOLD - 2012 PB Challenger LS Manual|BFG KO2 245/70/17|Opposite Lock Premium Bullbar|Kings Domin8r X Winch|HID Driving Lights|Ultimate Suspension Lift|Safari Snorkel|Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guard|Mitsubishi Towbar|Extended Diff Breathers|GME UHF|SPV EGR Mod|Provent Catch Can|Drifta Drawers
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

The Grande winch fits my ARB bullbar without a problem (claimed 12000lb unit).
    Rotating the gearbox was the only change needed to fit it.
    Offset hawse was required in order to align the rope/spool with the cutout in the front of the bullbar.
    My solenoid pack is also mounted in the same space as the winch. It's a tight fit alongside the winch, but a neater install than having it perched atop the bar.
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

You have been led up the garden path!
      Generally speaking, 9500 and 12000lb winches are the same physical size, it is just the horsepower rating of the motor and / or the reduction gear ratio that differs.
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• MitchellVT
        • Mar 2017
        • Gold Coast

Hey Aussie_Dan & Kingbrown thanks for the replies to this thread. I have been tossing up which winch to fit behind my TJM bar and of course TJM want to sell me about $1400 worth of their 9500lb winch and I could see no reason for it. I was also wondering if it was ok and or possible to fit the solenoid/control box down below the top of the bar as well.

How did you go Spoonman? what did you end up doing? Pics would be cool.

Comment

• Kumabear
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2013
          • Sydney, Macarther Region

It is very unlikely that a 12000lb winch wont fit just fine.
          Unless it is one that is designed to be extra fast so has taller gearing and a extra large motor or something.
          I have an opposite lock bar on my paj (not a sport) and my 12000lb winch fit without even having to take the bar off.

As for winch brands, have a good look at Runva.

Mine has served me well and I know there is a few others with them kicking around on here. They seem to both be high quality and offer good value for money backed by Australian parts availability and a really good warranty I would definitely buy again.
          I paid ~$800 mark for my Runva EXW12000 with synthetic rope.

I would not put the control box anywhere its likely to get submerged in a water crossing, also keep in mind if you did get stuck/bogged you may need to get access to it in a hurry in the event something happens to the wireless control, that's going to be hard if wherever you have it is full of mud / under water
          Last edited by Kumabear; 21-06-17, 02:11 PM.
          2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X